Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about X2 The Threat

Options
  • 18-04-2004 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Question for anyone with X2 Threat for the PC:

Should this game have speech in it?

I have just installed this game and it seems to be missing speech audio. I have background music and other sound effects but no speech, even after patching. This surprises me because one of the audio options is "Speech Volume".

Can anyone who has actually played this game confirm that I should actually hear speech? I am basing this on the first few scenes of gameplay - where I am in a conversation and I see subtitles but hear nothing.

For reference just in case anyone thinks they can help: I have X2 Threat patched up to version 1.3 UK (the latest version) . My rig is a Athlon XP2000 / 512MB with Soundblaster Audigy and a softmodded Radeon 9500. Drivers are all pretty much up to date.

I have 4.1 speakers (as opposed to the more usual 5.1). I have a sneaking suspicion that the game may assume I have 5.1 and is sending the missing speech out of the 5th channel. I am going to play around with speaker / headphone settings to see what I can come up with.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

yes, you need to install the windows media 9 that happens at the end of the install

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I remember being asked about Windows Media 9 at the end of the install. I am pretty sure I said yes and installed it. I will try a re-install just in case.

Playing with speaker settings and even plugging a speaker into the 5th channel did nothing I am afraid.

Brian

Is Windows media 9 the same as windows media player 9? I cannot find anything on my system called windows media 9 but I do have windows media player version 8.

I will try upgrading media player to version 9 and see if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I had no sound either when I first played, then after awhile it worked:dunno:

This happened aswell after I patched it, no sound for a few days, then it came back by itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

try that and then reinstall the game, that should work, maybe :)

its probally some windows media 9 codec that you need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

yes your supposed to here speech throughout the game, windows media 9 is windows media player 9, you may need to check the troubleshooting section to see if theres any known issues with the audigy card youve got

but other than that install the wm9 that comes on the X2 Cd, that should sort you out

Shin

Cannot find Windows Media Player 9 on the install CD so I'm dowloading it now from Microsoft. This will take a while over 56k but I'll report back after its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

There was major problems with speech in this game. I remember having the same problem im pretty sure downloading the codecs sorted it but cant be certain. Check the developers website if it doesnt work theres bound to be a fix there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Theres definetly speech. Wether you really want to hear it or not though....
    Ban Danna: "you come here... call a disco!".

I seem to remember the women you meet in the headquarters near the start hilariously overacted too... and her daughter oh god it was hilarious "see its just a flight suit standard issue.. i said it was standard issue just standard issue you see?" or something like that.

I downloaded Media player 9 last night. A quick test and the problem seemed to be still there. It was late and I didn't check very thoroughly so I will try again this evening.

Checked the support sites and didn't find an answer. Did a bit of googling and I found a few other people who reported this problem but no-one claiming to have found a solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement