Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who said the BMW 6 series cant be nice!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I have to say well done BMW for having the balls to abandon the 70s as a source of inspiration the in twenty first century. If I wanted shark nose I'd buy a bloody shark nose.

The new line are distinctive and bold. Well done all round (even if it was bloody Englishman who designed them)

LD

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Lorddrakul
    even if it was bloody Englishman who designed them

Chris Bangle is an American iirc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by unkel
    Chris Bangle is an American iirc...

http://www.forbes.com/2003/06/02/cx_mf_0602feat.html
    These cars have made a lot of enemies for Bangle because thousands of BMW traditionalists worldwide dislike their sharper-edged format and have even signed online petitions like one titled "Stop Chris Bangle" to voice their disapproval.

Not that the American-born Bangle cares much. Certainly he understands the naysayers' fear that he has changed their beloved Bimmers...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The new line are distinctive and bold. Well done all round (even if it was bloody Englishman who designed them)

LD

not they're not - they're **** - they look like any mass produced [insert name of bland family car here] crap that gets churned out for the masses who don't care what their car looks like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Bangle might be American born, but he sure had an English accent and claimed to be English when interviewed by Jermey Clarkson.

However, I was mainly refering to the new 5, 6 and 7 series in terms of their lines and stance.

As for looking like the mass produced crap that comes out of every other factory, well duh, they are mass produced. But I don't hink you will find anything like this rolling out of a GM or Ford plant any time soon.

LD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The new BMW designs have generally been panned by motor critics worldwide - they don't look like BMW's, BMW are where they are today because they had a loyal group of owners who kept them going - on several occasions they were close to being bought over or bankruptcy, so its natural that when some yank comes in and decides to design an American friendly version of a european car that there will be some annoyance over it.
    As for looking like the mass produced crap that comes out of every other factory, well duh, they are mass produced. But I don't hink you will find anything like this rolling out of a GM or Ford plant any time soon.

May not see anything coming out of GM or Ford - but hows about Peugeot or Toyota? The back on the 5 series has more in common with the 406 than any BMW...

Of course some people will like the designs - but then again a lot of people are buying Hyundai Coupes and Renault Meganes

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by kdevitt
    Of course some people will like the designs - but then again a lot of people are buying Hyundai Coupes and Renault Meganes
    are we going to re-start the hyundai coupe thread again :D

if Bangles designs were that good why then have BMW decided to promote him out of harms way and reduced the "distinctive & bold lines" on future models?
    Simple fact is that they were designed for Americans and the majority of BMW owners (globally) do not like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I saw two 6 series today one moving between New Ross and Waterford and the other parked in Bunclody. I did'nt think to much of it tbh.

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

called up to Joe Duffys yesterday and had a good gander.
    it is absolutely rotten & has nothing in common with the marvellous E24 apart from the roundel badge

• Advertisement
Advertisement