Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most over rated horror film

• 18-04-2004 9:29pm

I bought the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre a few weeks ago and only got round to watching it the other night.
    Is it just me or is it the most overrated film of all time. I watched it once and felt disappointed so the next day I watched it again to see if maybe I missed something first time round. I hadnt!

Sure its an okay film but its not great. The Thing is a far superior horror film.

So what for you is the most overrated horror film?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

What Lies Beneath - Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeiffer.

Since when was a door closing loudly, or a dog running into a room scary? I just didn't get it.

The ending was quite nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

i liked the original texas chainsaw massacre, the most overated i think is the sixth sense, i thought that was crap and i seen the twist coming a mile off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

I go for the Exorcist, its always number 1 of the most scarry film but I think its just the biggest load of ****e i've ever saw, there's not one scarry moment in the whole film i think. It's just a stupit film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I like all of the mentioned films :)

I cant think of one now , will post latta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Yeah, at the time it crossed certain boundries (crucifix masturbation scene, "look what your c*nting daughter has done"), but it's pretty mild to todays standards.

The end in don't look now was pretty scary!!!!!

The ring was quite creepy as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'd have to go with either the Sixth Sense or The Others....

A couple of vaguely creepy moments in them, but certainly nothing that would justify the ridiculous amount of hype around them. Plus the fact that in one the twist was evident right from the start and in the other it was just, well, blah. Interesting idea, yes, but still...I watched it and then thought "that's *it*?".

Although I'd agree with The Thing as a better film than TCM, although I'm fond of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is definetly over-rated.

It's a film that's very "Well, in it's day it was scary..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Originally posted by elvis2002
    I go for the Exorcist, its always number 1 of the most scarry film but I think its just the biggest load of ****e i've ever saw, there's not one scarry moment in the whole film i think. It's just a stupit film.
    I couldnt disagree with you more Elvis! I still think its one of the greatest horror films ever made.

However although I enjoyed The Ring (American version), I was very very dissappointed with Ring 1 & 2 (Japanese version). Completely overrated. And the worst thing is, it was the horror fans and critics that were recommending the Japanese Ring before the American version.
    Still cant understand it!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I thought the ring 2 was complete rubbish , prefer the jappo ring to the remake though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I taught the Exorcist was fairly crap. I can see way it was banned years ago. Touchy subject matter for its time. By todays standards I don't think its much.

• Advertisement

I also think that the Scream trilogy are extremely overrated. Its their self referral, iron (Look were in a horror film situation) humour thats dragging down the standards of modern horror films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Originally posted by Darko
    I also think that the Scream trilogy are extremely overrated. Its their self referral, iron (Look were in a horror film situation) humour thats dragging down the standards of modern horror films.
    Screams were terrible teenage sh1te!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

I think Dawn of the Dead (both the old and new versions) fall into this category. I saw Dawn of the Dead in the cinema recently and I was so bored by most of it. Only rare genuinely scary moments and NO real effort at an interesting plot. I didn't see the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre but I loved the new version and was genuinely terrified by it so much so that I literally screamed during it, especially as I mistakenly thought it was a true story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Originally posted by arcadegame2004
    I think Dawn of the Dead (both the old and new versions) fall into this category. I saw Dawn of the Dead in the cinema recently and I was so bored by most of it. Only rare genuinely scary moments and NO real effort at an interesting plot. I didn't see the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre but I loved the new version and was genuinely terrified by it so much so that I literally screamed during it, especially as I mistakenly thought it was a true story!

It's veeeeery loosely based on a true story. There was a guy that did kill travelers passing by, but he didn't go around with a fecking face made out of human skin. I think that was the only true bit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The box set refers to some dude who became obsessed with his mother after she died and then killed his brother but made it look like an accident...he was later found to have killed other people as well. I don't remember if he did the whole wearing skin etc thing, but I'll check when I get home (have the DVD on loan off a mate and there's loads of info in the booklet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Ed Gein.

I wouldn't say it's based on him much at all, except for the fact human skin and parts were found in his house, adorning some furniture. He didn't live with a bunch of rednecks, and in short TCM isn't real... at all :) Incredibly loosely based. At a stretch.

Original Dawn of the Dead, original TCM and original Ringu were all brilliant. I can't honestly pathom why anyone would slate them. Especially preferring the remake (in the case of Ringu). Boggles the mind.

Originally posted by Philbert
    However although I enjoyed The Ring (American version), I was very very dissappointed with Ring 1 & 2 (Japanese version). Completely overrated. And the worst thing is, it was the horror fans and critics that were recommending the Japanese Ring before the American version.
    Still cant understand it!:confused:

Because the original Ring was a very slow-burning film, that slowly creeped its way to the climax. The remake was over-done, completely Americanised, and they threw in a lot of unnessicary special effects which altogether killed any tension the film had, and completely stripped the ending of any effect what so ever.

Speaking of which, Nideo Nakata is set to direct the American sequal!

Ed Gein was the inspiration for both Norman Bates and Hanniable Lector also.

I know Im a bit off topic but the sequel to the Eye is recieving atrocious reviews, which is a shame seeing how good the first one was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

There's a sequel to The Eye?

Most over rated imo is The Exorcist. I thought it was boring, and not in the least bit scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

28 Days Later.

It was oki-ish until half-way through the film when the army came in.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Darko
    I know Im a bit off topic but the sequel to the Eye is recieving atrocious reviews, which is a shame seeing how good the first one was.

I have to express my suprise at this too... There's a sequel to The Eye!?

Well, to be completely honest, I think sequels are just a bad idea in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Yeah Ed Gein was the inspiration for TCM, Silence of the lambs and Pyscho.

i think the TCM connection comes from the fact that in his house was discovered a woman hanging from a butchers hook, beheaded. and the lampshades were made from human flesh and all this crazy sh*t.

I read about it here first. If you search the eye in the search bar at the bottom of the page youll come across some news stories which contain links to reviews, all of which are negative.

bloody-disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I posted already in the TCM 2003 thread, but I really don't like the original at all!
    I think maybe if it wasn't banned for so long there wouldn't have been so much expectation when I finally saw it in '99. I really thought it was completely un-scary and just plain bad-- esp. the crap brother in the wheelchair, the chase scene with incessant OTT screaming & annoying camera angles, then the dinner table bit with again more non-stop screaming, finger sucking & camera zoom-ins on the girl's eyes. It really did my head in.
    I rented it again this year, just to see if maybe I'd like it a bit more with lower expectations, but no, it's still poor imo.

I like the Japanese 'Ringu' and the US 'The Ring' in different ways. Both movies are more or less the same for the first while, then both go off in different directions, coming back together for the well & finale. As someone mentioned the original is much more slow-burning & concentrates more on
    the origin of the girl & her telekinetic/psychic powers
    . The US one is much more a movie that casual viewers would watch, but that notwithstanding, I think it's a good modern horror movie, and a lot better than most stuff that comes outta the US.
    The Exorcist, I saw it when it was finally released in the cinemas over here, and I thought it was ok, but that it had dated badly. I rented it again more recently, watched it after midnight with nobody else & found it quite freaky. The sequels are all crap though.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned 'The Blair Witch Project'. Usually that's one that polarises opinion quite quickly. I personally think it's decent enough, if only for the ending, but not worthy of the best/worst accolade.

Originally posted by TCamen
    The US one is much more a movie that casual viewers would watch, but that notwithstanding, I think it's a good modern horror movie, and a lot better than most stuff that comes outta the US.

Still leaves a lot of scope for it to be pretty crap. I mean, the biggest horror film last year out of the US was Jason vs Freddy. Unfortunately, american horror seems to focus more on gore and audiovisual shock than anything else. Hence - crap.

Originally posted by TCamen
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned 'The Blair Witch Project'. Usually that's one that polarises opinion quite quickly. I personally think it's decent enough, if only for the ending, but not worthy of the best/worst accolade.

How could I forget that over-hyped peice of drivel!?!? :dunno:

Well, to be fair it was an ok concept, but it was hyped up beyond beleif and lauded as the scariest movie ever, that it was doomed to dissapoint. I think it was simply the fact that people who saw it first did actually beleive it was a real event happening before their eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Didn't you buy the dvd of the sequel? :p

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Didn't you buy the dvd of the sequel? :p

Yes, but that was only because I wanted to take advantage of the 2 for 25 offer in Xtra Vision when buying Romper Stomper, hadn't seen the sequel before, and there didn't seem to be anything else of intrest in the deal at the time.

And yes... I did regret it immensly.

Isnt the Blair Witch Projact nothing more than a rip off of The Last Broadcast?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Isnt the Blair Witch Projact nothing more than a rip off of The Last Broadcast?

The Last Broadcast was made before Blair Witch yeah. Haven't seen it, but it's the same sorta concept with the handicams & zero budget afaik.

Advertisement