Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most over rated horror film

2»

Comments

The Last Broadcat was a decant enough film, far better than I had expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

weeeellll, i recently saw the original night of the living dead, and it was AWFUL!!!
    was it EVER scary?good god.....
    and the texas chainsaw massacre! for f*cks sake! what an overhyped pice of sh*te!!!
    and the exorcist, jesus, i was brought up to believe that was TERRIFYING let alone mildly frightening....

the original ring was much better i thought...there was a huge building of psychological tension that just wasnt there in "the ring"....
    thats not to say "the ring" didnt scare the poo outta me...

did anyone see dark water? there's already an american remake being made....sigh....

was ed gein the inspiration for the book psycho was based on? because...yeah...

WRONG TURN!!! THEY!!! THE EYE!!!

(i thought they all sucked bottom so they did...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by doonothing
    THE EYE!!!

What was wrong with The Eye? I personally thought that was one of the best horror films I've seen in years! Better than Ring, even.

oh god, WHAT was scary in the eye??
    ring chilled me to th'bone, the eye just made me feel...disappointed....
    nothing in it scared me...
    maybe thats cos ring wasnt really built up to be sooo scary for me, but everyone built up the eye....it could only disappoint....

(and suck)

Originally posted by doonothing
    oh god, WHAT was scary in the eye??
    ring chilled me to th'bone, the eye just made me feel...disappointed....
    nothing in it scared me...
    maybe thats cos ring wasnt really built up to be sooo scary for me, but everyone built up the eye....it could only disappoint....

Well, I'd not really heard that much about The Eye, so I'd say it probably had a better effect on me. I know how hype can easily ruin a good film, so I do empathize with you on this.

But personally I thought that the entire premise of the film was quite good, and it was handled very well, nice and chilling throughout. Especially
    The caligraphy lesson scene! Christ, I thought I had a heart-attack at that point! Or the elevator scene.

• Advertisement

yeah, i think it may have been a case of hype-icide for me...
    i hate that!!
    wellllll.....i was slightly p*ssed (out o' my skull) while watching it, maybe that contributed to its downfall for me...
    it just seemed a bit too japanese-sixth-sense for me.
    maybe i should watch it again...

what did y'all think of dark water? it moved veeeery slowly, and the climax was sorta blink-and-you'll-miss-it...but, yeah, i lost a fair bit a poo while watching it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

The caligraphy lesson scene! Christ, I thought I had a heart-attack at that point! Or the elevator scene.

They were pretty damn tense/scary moments alright! Overall I was expecting a little more from 'The Eye' due to hype, but I still enjoyed it, and it's certainly not as overrated as some movies already mentioned :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Isnt the Blair Witch Project nothing more than a rip off of The Last Broadcast?

Nah, not really. Broadly similar themes, but very different movies. BWP is honest (and in my opinion, blindingly scary) horror, TLB is more of a horror/social commentary. TLB is a pretty good film, but the only thing about it that really scared me was the first time we saw the video and for some reason the computer's voice. ("WHY_NOT_DO A-SHOW A-BOUT THE JER-SEY DeVIL?"

The Eye was good until the wheels fall off in the last 25 minutes.

Dark Water had some good bits but was a little overhyped.

But for me the most overhyped horror movie was the Others. So boring. So painfully boring. I thought there might be a twist that would make it all worthwhile, but nope, saw it coming a mile off, probably because my poor brain was overburning trying to find some sort of mental stimulation...

What really p***es me off about it is how much non-horror fans loved it for precisely all the reasons they whinge about something like The Ring...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Nobody's mentioned Jeepers Creepers! 'The scariest horror film of the decade'? Come on people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ariana

for me The Omen was over rated it wasn't scary at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Beatrix

Have any of you ever seen "Wrong Turn"? Given GREAT ratings by notable critics it is the biggest pile of schize I've ever had the misfortune to see in my entire life. I watched it after watching The Ring and I was already pre-scared... it wouldn't have taken much more to scare me further. But Wrong Turn... it served as a GREAT comedic tension relief. The absurdity and predictability of the film makes me wonder... HOW DID THIS FILM EVER GET INTO THE SHOPS?!

Horror? HA!

I saw Wrong Turn a few weeks back...came in halfway through the film and got bored after 10 minutes. What kind of a plotline has inbred mountain-folk hunting down seemingly innocent people? Come on...and don't anybody say The Texas Chainsaw Massacre! Leatherface wasn't inbred!!!!...I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by Beatrix
    The absurdity and predictability of the film makes me wonder... HOW DID THIS FILM EVER GET INTO THE SHOPS?!
    Well, because it had Eliza Dushku running around a forest in a tank-top, getting all sweaty and scared and stuff.

Come to think of it, I think I'll watch that movie again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Originally posted by Beatrix
    Have any of you ever seen "Wrong Turn"? Given GREAT ratings by notable critics it is the biggest pile of schize I've ever had the misfortune to see in my entire life. I watched it after watching The Ring and I was already pre-scared... it wouldn't have taken much more to scare me further. But Wrong Turn... it served as a GREAT comedic tension relief. The absurdity and predictability of the film makes me wonder... HOW DID THIS FILM EVER GET INTO THE SHOPS?!

Horror? HA!

I seem to recall shouting that at local cinema staff after having somehow managed to pay to go and see it. Bastards wouldn't give me my money back, even when I offered to erase all memory of the film by bashing my head repeatedly against the wall. Me saying the erasure process would be more enjoyable than the film probably didn't help my case, though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

It has to be 28 Days Later. Starts off well, then enter the army where it seriously goes downhill. Also, for a city of several million does it not seem a little isolated and why oh why did the survivors when leaving London takes a dinky little black cab to strap luggage on the roof when they could have nabbed a Hi-ace!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    It has to be 28 Days Later. Starts off well, then enter the army where it seriously goes downhill. Also, for a city of several million does it not seem a little isolated and why oh why did the survivors when leaving London takes a dinky little black cab to strap luggage on the roof when they could have nabbed a Hi-ace!

Eh? I thought the opening sequence of a deserted London was very effective, because it's the kind of place that is very rarely (if ever) that silent. A sign that all is not right. And I'm guessing they didn't take a Hi-ace or whatever other sport car they wanted because they didn't want to waste time looking for one when a cab was handy...

I do agree it goes a bit wobbly half way through, though. I was never really convinced by the army men. Felt a bit...I dunno, like the guys in Deathwatch. You'll go along with them, but they never really felt like fully rounded characters, just two-dimensional cardboard cutouts in uniform.

I dunno, I kinda liked when the army sickos came in...it churned me stomach what they wanted ta do with the girls and the fact that they enjoyed hunting the zombie type things.
    Has anybody got the DVD? There's a radical ending storyboard sequence on it, and it's flippin' mental! Definitely for those who didn't like the army guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What audience was the movie "The Ring 2" aimed at?
    I mean if you saw "The Ring"......

Just a thought. Don't mind me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the shining (actually most of King's stories are better as books - though salems lot was good - maybe I'm biased after renting out Maximum Overdrivel)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 wrecked

2 words "EVIL DEAD"
    sooooooooo over-rated how it got banned i dont know prob the creeper scene that it

and the fact that the guy has a chainsaw in hiss arms led me to believe it wud been f@#kin used big dissappointment

japanese ring= brilliant
    american remake of ring= bullsh@t, chessy, special fxs used to cover up how crap they made it, didn't fool anyone

• Advertisement

Originally posted by wrecked
    american remake of ring= bullsh@t, chessy, special fxs used to cover up how crap they made it, didn't fool anyone

And what did you expect from the director of Mouse Hunt?

I kid ye not! The guy they got to direct the American version of Ring directed Mouse Hunt. Well, jesus if that's not great qualifications for doing a horror film! While I certainly loved Pirates Of The Carribean, the man has no reason to be anywhere near Horror at all, he's no idea of pacing and the building of suspense! Any time there's an opportinity for the building of suspse, he sticks a big CGI sequence in!

Come to think of it, I think I'll watch that movie again

If comic delivery is possible on an internet bulletin board, I believe thats the best I've seen.:D

I'm gonna have to come out swinging in defence of two movies here.

Wrong Turn: Perhaps it was the benefit of having it on DVD along with lots of alcohol and a genuinely entertaining commmentary, but I thought this was a solid movie. It did exactly what it set out to do, no more no less, and thank-sweet-god its a modern slasher thats not self-aware. And red head's encounter with the rednecks was pretty nasty.

Having seen both versions of the Ring, I have to say I think the US version is a far better film. I know it "borrowed" most of its best elements from the original (And Dark Water, by the looks of it.) but seriously: it acts, looks and even sounds like no other film I can think of to come from the US for the last 20 years, and it scared me sh*tless. I have never lost so much sleep over a film as I did with that, and while I'm not accusing anybody here (who'e all made reasonable arguments) I'm certain that many of the naysayers bashed it purely for pretentiousnes' sake.

And they were both better than The Others.

Originally posted by jill_valentine
    I'm certain that many of the naysayers bashed it purely for pretentiousnes' sake.

Ah now come off it!

Firstly, the original Ring is hardly the most unheard of film ever, and I'd say that at least on this message board, there's as many who've seen it as those who've seen the remake. So someone could hardly be snobby in a 'More underground than thou' sense on this matter!

Secondly... would I be as pretentious for holding the orignal Get Carter in higher reguard than Stallone's filmic abortion? I suppose that's about on par with how highly I reguard Ring's remake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I prefer Ringu to The Ring, because it had a much darker, creepier, scarier, claustrophobic feel to it. I don't like what they did with certain elements in the film (like the way the people "killed" by Samara looked like rotted corpses, the actual video and the story - horses, mental institution etc).

The remake had better cinematography, it was more "polished", some really nice shots, but that doesn't make a good horror film to me. The Ring didn't scare me, Ringu scared the pants off me. They lost something essentially creepy and dark in the remake, and for me personally missed the point and feel of it.

there's as many who've seen it as those who've seen the remake

Not quite, and there certainly wasn't before the remake came along and raised the film's exposure. In my entire circle of friends, I'm the only person that's seen it, and they haven't even heard of The Eye, Ju-On, Dark Water etc. For horror fans its almost mainstream, but for regular movie goers' it certainly isn't. I was referring in particular to the same kind of folk who denounced the LOTR films as a soulless cash-in before they were even made.

I like Ringu. I really like Ringu. But with the exception of the freaky-ass DVD menu and Sadako herself, it doesn't scare me in the least, and not because I'm averse to slow burn horror or anything (I love slow-burn horror) but just because it didn't...I dunno "connect" with me. The film seemed as apathetic to its characters as I was, and a tense horror like that needs you to care about its characters even if you don't like them. And the bodies, while I appreciate the intention, just looked like they'd stepped on a nail rather than been paid a visit by a partially demonic hermaphrodite who clearly does not believe in GHD.

Secondly... would I be as pretentious for holding the orignal Get Carter in higher reguard than Stallone's filmic abortion? I suppose that's about on par with how highly I reguard Ring's remake.

No, you wouldn't be pretentious for that, provided you'd seen both films. And that's how highly you regard the Ring remake? Harsh! Nothing I say is gonna convert you so...:D

Not quite, and there certainly wasn't before the remake came along and raised the film's exposure. In my entire circle of friends, I'm the only person that's seen it, and they haven't even heard of The Eye, Ju-On, Dark Water etc. For horror fans its almost mainstream, but for regular movie goers' it certainly isn't.

Miss-quotation is a foul and nasty thing, you know?

Keep in mind that I had said:
    at least on this message board, there's as many who've seen it as those who've seen the remake.

And not your abridged version:
    there's as many who've seen it as those who've seen the remake.

I think that in the former quote, the first 6 words hold some quite significant weight, and as such, has already invalidated points about your "Entire circle of friends" (provided of course that this circle, in its entirety, aren't all boards members) and "Regular Movie Goers".

So if you're going to quote me, the least you can do is capture the actual context of what I'm saying in the quote.

By that you've probably gather that I really dislike being miss-quoted.

:D Yeah, I think I get the general gist. Fair point.

The bit I probably should have quoted is
    Firstly, the original Ring is hardly the most unheard of film ever

Basically the sentiment I was trying to express is that while Ringu is well known for an Asian horror movie (And is to thank for the current Asian wave of horror) its still not mainstream by any means. But somewhere along the way I started channelling the ghost of AICN Talkbacker or IMDB troll or something....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭df001i6876

it me looking in the mirror growing old thats scary'

to me it got to be best film .with stan+ ollie hardy meet

the invisible man . i was about 6 years old , mum always said i wouldnt go to bed after watching it. can not remember the title. good film.

Basically the sentiment I was trying to express is that while Ringu is well known for an Asian horror movie (And is to thank for the current Asian wave of horror) its still not mainstream by any means.

Ok now, so reguardless of whether it's not mainstream, you still admit it's well known as far as Asian movies go. So with that in mind, we shall go back to the whole pretentiousness point you made.

Now, my point on this being one that in general, a lot of pretentiousness can be put down to a "More underground than you!" attitude, like name-dropping obscure films and such. So the point is basically that given this particular take on pretention, I'd say that Ringu doesn't qualify, being so well known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I wonder if there has ever been a time on boards when the remake of Ring has come up it hasn't been slated by someone. And rightly so.
    Horses, wtf?

Advertisement