Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Visa 4 America

• 19-04-2004 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Moderators, if this ain't the right forum for this thread feel free to move it.

I was planning on going to Boston for the summer. Problem is i'm in my final year of a degree and won't have college next year, so a J1 is out. I was talking to the someone i met in the pub last Friday and he mentioned how there is another type of temporary work visa called a "hbc" or a "abc" or something to that effect. Has anyone heard of this and have any relevent links that would be of use to me.
    Also, i went to america on an internship visa two years ago and i'm thinking this might work against me. To my credit though i have friends over there who should be able to find me a job.
    Finally, I presume u can't get a proper working visa until u get your graduation certificate into your hand is that correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

What you might mean is a H1B. It is a work permit. A company offers you a job and applies to the Immigration services for a H1B visa for you. Takes about 3 months to process, is valid for 2 years and then re-newable for another 6 or so. They were very popular during the IT boom in the late 90's whne companies got cheaper labour over from Ireland and in particulay India, but since that has collapsed comapnies do not have to go abroad to find people. I also think you need a college degree or the equivelant amount of work experience to qualify for one, try the US Immigration website http://uscis.gov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

cuan, iwas gong to post the same question today :)

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm doing my degree this year and was told I will need a different visa to go to the states this year, but didn't know which type of one. The US Embassy site can be a pain in the arse to naviagte through at times. I had a J1 last summer when I went. Going back to the same job again this year.

por, would I still need a H1B visa even though I'm only going for 2 and half months. The place where I'm working will not related to my field of study at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Rabies - The H1B is more of a long term thing than a working holiday. Try this link http://uscis.gov./graphics/services/tempbenefits/index.htm from the Immigration website, it deals with Temporary Visitors, you could also search for anything regarding 'non-immigrant visas'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Thanks 4 the replies lads..

it's a bummer though. Last year there would have been no problem getting a j1. u just simply said u were doing a postgrad or something. they really should cater for something like this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I'm not too sure if this is any help or not.
    But my friend has gotten a visa for america today for a year.
    He got a job through USIT, because they help get jobs for people under 26 I think it is. apparantly you aren't allowed in the country without a job.
    He got refused his visa 2 weeks ago at the embassidity because he hadn't anything planned out,
    But he had to proove that he would be returning home to this country and his reasons were;
    leaving cert
    college cert
    got a written letter of someone saying he has a job in a years time when he returns,
    a letter off his parents
    and a letter off his dentist to show he still owe's him some money for his braces
    and he also did a little flirting with the women interviewing him ;)
    hope this helps and if you need more info ask me, he's flying out this saturday
    also think it costs him 600euro's for the visa

• Advertisement

also think it costs him 600euro's for the visa
    Jesus, thats expensive. Only cost €100 for a J1 last year.
    Is a J1 only for first timers going to America. What about when you are returning. Is there a J2 or something.

There is such a thing as a j2, but then again j1 & j2's are just for students so i don't think they apply to us. However this is just what i have heard. I ain't 100%

Originally posted by Lenny
    I'm not too sure if this is any help or not.
    But my friend has gotten a visa for america today for a year.

oh and thanks lenny, that is very helpful.

EDIT: actually i just remembered. didn't see the USIT bit initially but... i was told by USIT of this months ago. The catch is I think that u have to take one of their (USITS) jobs. When i inquired the only ones going were in six flags (An amusement park). Im just wondering though, if i can get my friend to get me a job over in Boston would this work. Think i'll ask USIT tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

There's also visas called H2B and that sounds like the visa the person has above. It's basically for anyone under 26 that doesn't qualify for a J1. But the big catch is that you have to take the job provided for you and you can't change jobs when over there. If you quit the job provided for you, then you'll have to leave the country within 2 days, I think. As mentioned above, the only jobs going under this scheme are jobs in places like Six Flags and the like, with the pay being in the region of $6 an hour. Also the costs of getting this visa are huge, I think I worked out that after paying for flights and insurance and everything the cost would come to around 1700 euro.

J2's ceased to exist a couple of years ago. They used to be for people returning for a second time, but they've changed the rules so people can get as many J1's as they want.

Originally posted by drane2
    There's also visas called H2B and that sounds like the visa the person has above. It's basically for anyone under 26 that doesn't qualify for a J1. But the big catch is that you have to take the job provided for you and you can't change jobs when over there. If you quit the job provided for you, then you'll have to leave the country within 2 days, I think. As mentioned above, the only jobs going under this scheme are jobs in places like Six Flags and the like, with the pay being in the region of $6 an hour. Also the costs of getting this visa are huge, I think I worked out that after paying for flights and insurance and everything the cost would come to around 1700 euro.

Hmm, I guess that rules that out.:dunno:

• Advertisement

I went in to USIT today and asked a few questions. Supposedly u can now do an internship anytime u want up to five years from when u finish college. However u can't do one if you've done one before which rules me out once again. The job u work in though has to be related to your degree. You get up to a maximum of eighteen months stay in the U.S. This might sort u out Rabies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Has anyone got any links for internship job sites??

For the J1 you need a job before you go over there right??? Usit can search for a job for you for your J1, but are they actually any good??

I'm going to do a film and video production diploma and it'll be nice if I could get a job with some relation to the film industry.

Well, i don't know a whole load about this but from what i gather if u get a j1 now, u need to have a job lined up since u missed the deadline somewhere around march. This is only a summer visa though.

As for Usit finding u jobs, that doesn't happen unless your out of college or in your last year. You'll have to go into USIT yourself to find out what jobs are available cause i ain't seen no links (I didn't take much of a look either). It's some special scheme they run for people who normally don't qualify for j1's

Although what u probably want is a j1 internship, where u can stay up to 18 months working in america in a job thats related to your course. These are seperate visas and u must find the job yourself. Once you have an employer that's willing to hire you, then USIT will help you fill out the necessary documentation to get your visa from the American embassy.

If anyone knows any better please correct me, i may be totally off here.

Originally posted by neXus9
    Has anyone got any links for internship job sites??

For the J1 you need a job before you go over there right??? Usit can search for a job for you for your J1, but are they actually any good??

I'm going to do a film and video production diploma and it'll be nice if I could get a job with some relation to the film industry.

I think most internships in the film industry over there would be unpaid, if that's your thing.

Originally posted by qBot
    Well, i don't know a whole load about this but from what i gather if u get a j1 now, u need to have a job lined up since u missed the deadline somewhere around march. This is only a summer visa though.

As for Usit finding u jobs, that doesn't happen unless your out of college or in your last year. You'll have to go into USIT yourself to find out what jobs are available cause i ain't seen no links (I didn't take much of a look either). It's some special scheme they run for people who normally don't qualify for j1's

Although what u probably want is a j1 internship, where u can stay up to 18 months working in america in a job thats related to your course. These are seperate visas and u must find the job yourself. Once you have an employer that's willing to hire you, then USIT will help you fill out the necessary documentation to get your visa from the American embassy.

If anyone knows any better please correct me, i may be totally off here.

If you get a J! with USIT they give you access to a special jobs database.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

You defiantly need a preorganised job then for a J1??

Originally posted by qBot
    The job u work in though has to be related to your degree. You get up to a maximum of eighteen months stay in the U.S. This might sort u out Rabies.
    My job isn't related to my degree. From what i read so far it seems like i can apply for a J1 again so thats ok.

Originally posted by neXus9
    You defiantly need a preorganised job then for a J1??

Not quite. USIT has an agent need to have 50% pre-arranged jobs.

Advertisement