Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beckham To Quit Real Madrid (Supposidly)

• 19-04-2004 8:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭

Heard it there on 2fm on the way into college apparantly "The Stud" is planning on quitting real madrid and moving to chelsea at the end of the season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I'd love to see Beckham play for Chelsea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Wonder if there is a chance of him going back to United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by kida
    Wonder if there is a chance of him going back to United.

I don't think him and Ferguson exactly were seeing eye to eye when he left, boot to eye maybe :) So that would be a no.

True - but Ferguson may have seen how much they missed him.

Realistically it is only United or Chelsea could afford him.

Duff wouldn't be happy with him at Chelsea what with Robben also joining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I hope Chelsea sign him & offload Duffer to United ... time to wake up from dreamy land :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n
    I hope Chelsea sign him & offload Duffer to United ... time to wake up from dreamy land :D
    Could happen anyway, Robben is signing in the Summer which will limit Duffer's first team appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I couldn't ever see him returning to Man U under Fergison and the only other teams I believe he would consider are Arsenal and Chelsea. Of those, Arsenal probably couldn't afford him and to be honest, don't need him, so it looks like Stamford Bridge is his only option.

They could bury the hatchet - he only really had problem in the last year. Ferguson doesn't usually forgive and forget though.

He would be f***ed if Chelsea didn't want him. Where would he go then?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

I believe this story to be true. It makes sense really as hes a London lad and his wife loves London. Obviously with the recent **** hes going to be trying to patch things up with her so moving to a place they like would go a long way to helping...

Chelsea would also love him I'm sure. I don't think it'd effect Duff though as he plays on the left and Becks is on the right or in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Can understand he may want to move to chelski for 'personal' reasons, cant understand why real madrid would sell him. He is a money making machine, he has played well for them during the season, reports are figo is on his way(age thing). I think Beckham could move back to the right side and Guti could start with Helguerra. Real Madrid would be mad to sell him, they make soo much money out of him. Beckham had said before that he wouldnt play for any other english team except united but I dont think thats an issue here.

john

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

cant believe ye actually think robben is better than Duff!

he'll be his understudy, they need someone like that, it's been obvious that Chelsea aren't the same without him in the side. you'll see tomorrow in the monaco game, duff isn't playing

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by ella minnow pea

he'll be his understudy, they need someone like that, it's been obvious that Chelsea aren't the same without him in the side. you'll see tomorrow in the monaco game, duff isn't playing
    I didn't say he was better, but I think it will limit Duffer's appearances. There will be himself, Robben, and Joe Cole fighting for that position next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Is Duff automatically better because he's Irish, or because you've seen Robben playing enough to actually make that statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

A hopeful for the Real presidency (whose name escapes me) said, if elected, he would sell Beckham, as he spends a lot of time away from Madrid.

I think Real would be crazy to sell him, but it would be a fantastic buy for Chelsea, and probably a good move for Beckham himself too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    A hopeful for the Real presidency (whose name escapes me) said, if elected, he would sell Beckham, as he spends a lot of time away from Madrid.

Yeah, he also said he'd sell Figo. He also said Carlos wants the "contract of his life" and They were not gonna give it to him!

Its the right kind of attitude considering the state of real at the moment,

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Well i think someone smart has to stop the rot at Real. They're millions upon millions in debt yet still spend like they're Chelsea. Someone has to put an end to it or in ten years time there may not be a Real Madrid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

Originally posted by Axel
    Yeah, he also said he'd sell Figo. He also said Carlos wants the "contract of his life" and They were not gonna give it to him!

Its the right kind of attitude considering the state of real at the moment,
    It might be the right attitude to have considering the state of the club, but its not the right plan to have to win an election. Perez is there because of his policy to buy the best attack minded player in the world each year.
    The club's plan of action will be to go and buy someone along the lines of Ronaldinho or Henry, get a new manager and expect to win everything next year

Beckham would be a good signing for chelsea, but they shouldnt buy too many players this summer. The best plan for them would be to offload a few players and work with the squad they already have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

As a footballer he be mad to leave after only one season, but Real need a savage in the middle of the park to support all these attackers they wont go broke ever due to weird laws over there which mean they can operate at any amount of debt if there is evidence of income to pay it back within a long timespan (bet Leeds whish they had that :D).

But he may for family reasons ,he would only go to Utd if Fergie wasnt there but as he having a decent season over there does would his value have increased? He gets time on the ball and with that right foot he is feckin lethal when you have raul Ronaldo and Zidane to aim at from any part of the pitch.

Kdjac

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    Is Duff automatically better because he's Irish, or because you've seen Robben playing enough to actually make that statement?

i've seen Arjen play and i think Duff is better, yes

also, age, premiership experience, etc, all in Duff's favour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Real Madrid have no debt.

Real Madrid forecasting big profits boost

RealMadrid expect to boost pre-tax profits in 2003-2004 to 58.8 million euros ($63.46 million), thanks largely to a TV deal that kicked in at the start of the season and higher marketing revenues.

Real, whose squad includes French playmaker Zinedine Zidane, England captain David Beckham and Brazilian striker Ronaldo, said on Wednesday it made a pre-tax profit of 9.3 million euros in 2002-2003.

The club, which has agreed to offload several first-team players in recent weeks, including midfielder Claude Makelele and striker Fernando Morientes, said it hoped to make an operating profit of 21.6 million euros in 2003-2004 as it cut payroll expenses.

The nine-times European champions posted an operating loss of 97.9 million euros in 2002-2003 after paying off 76.1 million in debt. But the figures were lifted by 108.3 million euros in extraordinary gains, including profits from the sale of a training ground.

Next year the club expects revenues to rise 21 percent to 232.6 million euros, thanks to a new TV deal worth more than 50 million euros a season and a forecast rise in marketing revenues.

The acquisition of Beckham, one of the world's most glamorous sportsmen, is expected to boost the club's sales of merchandise worldwide.

Real said it had 143.2 million euros in cash and no bank debt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

i've seen Arjen play and i think Duff is better, yes

also, age, premiership experience, etc, all in Duff's favour

Eh is'nt Robben Younger than Duff?? Hes like 19 or something??

yeah, that's what i mean, Duff is at his peak, Robben isn't

I'm talking about who'll be the better player in the next two seasons, not in the future like

Advertisement