Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!!! The Dubs Destroy Offaly in Hurling !!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

" BOOM BOOM BOOM let here you say JAYO"

as embarrassing as that is .. I will happily sing it again if he can reproduce 1995 for us again !

Rooster, I dont think you can question Waylanders loyalties to Dublin. He is a Dub.

Some of us don’t like certain players, since 1995 Jayo really hasn’t performed for Dublin...but things are looking up, I think your right about his form improving dramatically. having said that he has produced several seasons of poo for us ( as have a lot of players) and I understand waylanders position. IMO this could be his year... but he has a lot to prove.

Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Rooster my point was actually that they were playing well in 2002 when we progressed reasonably well, but last year when they were not playing well we did not, so actually their form is of great relevance. You have merely backed up my point. As regards Sherlock I have to disagree with you. I think he lived off an All Ireland final goal for far too long, but last season, and so far this season he has actually impressed me. It pained me to say it because I had been a massive critic and cursed him every time he was on the pitch in the interim. I felt he was too small to be effective, and he had lost alot of his speed which was really the only reason he broke into the team in first place. In fact early last season I started a thread saying I could not understand how he was still involved and got agreement form several other Dublin and non Dublin fans alike. However as I said in my last post he has actually begun to impress me since last season. So yet again you are agreeing with me. So I would suggest you read the posts poperly before you start shooting your mouth of again Rooster, and I certainly do not need the likes of you to question my loyalty as a Dubs fan.

Thirdman it was me who said the standard in Leinster is poor at the minute. I honestly think it is. I do not think Offaly will be up there. As I said in my last post I think Dublin and Laois are the two teams who should do well in the province, with Dublin winning, but I do not expect either team to do very well outside the province.

Thirdman, TBH I don’t think you have the first clue about football in Leinster

as imposter and waylander say It will be Dublin and Laois again this year
    The teams that follow close behind are Meath, Westmeath and Wexford IMO
    while all the others are another step away from them.

Lets have a look at Offaly for a second
    they have been playing in division 2A this year, their only real opisition was Donegal
    who beat them ( I don’t know what the hell happened to Monaghan ? )
    compared to Westmeath who played in the top division and were very close to beating Cork, Longford and Fermanagh. infact the only teams that hammered them were Dublin, Tyrone and Kerry. Then towards the end of the season they had a great win vs Mayo. Westmeath have been playing the harder games and will be better prepared to face Offaly. All the training in the world ( which is what Offaly leauge games were) cant compare to good hard competitive games against Irelands best teams.

Offaly will be beaten by Westmeath, they in turn will loose to Dublin. Dublin and Laois have the best shot at leinster this year !

PS the rossies wont beat Sligo this year, it will be a Mayo V Sligo final IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by Alany
    Offaly will be beaten by Westmeath, they in turn will loose to Dublin. Dublin and Laois have the best shot at leinster this year !

/me bookmarks this thread - may resurface on 7th June.

I think you are talking Westmeath up too much. They were lucky to escape relegation and should have won some of the games they just lost. Considering some teams don't put much effort into the league and Westmeath definitely did put the effort in, they should have done better.
    Then again you are talking Dublin up a bit too!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

I agree. Offaly beat Kildare last week. And they were ticking along nicely in the division 2. Westmeath are another overrated team like the Dubs. The media give them too much print space.
    Offaly will be up there - mark my words!!

As for Sligo beating the Rossies, I'll reserve my judgement on that. All I'll say is that Sligo are a county of born losers. They never play well in Connacht

• Advertisement

As opposed to Roscommon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think he lived off an All Ireland final goal for far too long

Jason did not score in the All Ireland final of 1995. He did have a great game and a great season. The difference between nearly winning the All Ireland the previous few years to finally crossing the line. An absolute disgrace that he missed out on an All Star.

Jason did disappoint in the championship in the few years after 1995. He retained his place because there was nobody any better. Every year we tried countless different corner forwards in the league, none of whom were up to it, so we had no choice but to revert to Jason come championship.

I havent read the Jason Sherlock thread yet, it didnt appear on my screen till now. I'll read it shortly. But its no surprise that non-Dubs are mainly negative about him. Most dislike him because of all the publicity he got in 1995. That doesnt annoy me because its down to jealously and rivalry.

Apologies for questioning your level of support waylander, but it does greatly annoy me when Dubs have a go at Sherlock. Most of this, in my experience, is again to do with the publicity he gets, as he's very rarely been in the team when he didnt deserve to be, and he tries his absolute heart out any time he wears the blue jersey. So it galls me when Dubs begrudge one of their own for making a name for himself. When it said it pained you, it seemed you had a pure dislike for Sherlock, and no matter how well he played you didnt like him. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

I wouldnt say Goggins is in bad form. He has done reasonably well each time he's turned out for the Dubs this year, but Lyons only rates him as our 4th or 5th best half back. He'll do well if/when he gets his chance, but the guys who are ahead of him are all good players.

As a Dub I'm not concerned one bit with Goggins or Cosgrove's form. Cosgrove looks like he's just a 2002 flash in the pan and we have to accept that. What I am concerned about is
    - Darren Magee either playing at centre back or midfield when he's patently not up to it
    - Our freetaking, though Mossy Quinn has shown signs that he's improving in this department and may well be up to the task
    - The complete lack of forwards of any ability on the bench
    - Paul Griffin's slight dip in form, though I'm confident he'll be back to his best come championship

sligo havn't won a Connacht title since 1975. Every year they are talked about as the dark horses but fail to deliver. It was only on two occasions where they got to play away from Connacht that they showed what they can do - vs Tyrone 1n 2002 and Kildare in 2001, and I suppose Armagh in 2002 as well.

Ros last won the Nestor Cup in 2001, and are usually never far away from winning it.

Rooster, I think its not just Dubs fans that give their own players a hard time. Maurice fitz and Andy cole spring to mind straight away... most supporters have an opinion on who should be on the team and who shouldnt. I think my main problem with Jayo after 1995 was Tom Carr, to my mind he didnt really look at alteratives when Jayo was poducing the goods. he was the best available on the panel but not the county. Supporters in general love to be critical of players, take Cosgrove for example I have held back on slagging him cause I dont think hes a flash in the pan, I think he can reproduce his 2002 form, but some other dublin fans out there call him the biggest bag of ****e they have ever seen, same with whelan and Behlan and would you believe I once heard a dublan fan say paddy christy was a good full back once.

up until Last summer I thought Jayo was a one season wonder, it boggled my mind how he kept getting his game, I spoke to a friend of mine who was involved with the dublin seniors 3 years ago and he explained that Jayo was fantastic in training and thats why he kept getting picked...hence my old opinion of him..i think there were a lot of people like me !

But I have an open mind again (arent I kind) and Im really hopefull

PS: im not as pesamistic as Waylander about our chances outside Leinster The only teams I fear at the moment are Armagh and Kerry. I honestly think the Dubs have the beating of cork, tyrone, Galway, mayo, limerick and anyone else

I think that if we make the Leinster final and play Laois, we would gain revenge for last year. But its far from beyond the bounds of possibilities that we lose to Offaly or Westmeath in the Leinster quarters.

I would love to meet Armagh again this year, as I'd be very hopeful of finally turning them over. Kerry are the team I'd most like to avoid, as I just can't see us beating them. I'd give us at least a 50/50 chance of beating anyone else - all down to the performance on the day. On our day we can be great and on others we can be abysmal. I'm would not be confident of putting enough very good performances back to back to win Sam, but I live in hope.

• Advertisement

I think Billy Morgan will revitalise Cork. He briought them All Ireland glory before and I think he will do it again. He also brought Nemo rangers All Ireland glory. I feel that knid of management should not be underestimated. Maybe I am talking Galway up a bit, I still cannot believe the hammering WEXFORD gave them in the league. that result was a shocker. Rooster, what game did he score the goal that he lost his boot in, was that not the final? n If not I stand corrected. Thirdman noone ever really talked about Sligo till they had a good run in, I think it was the second year of the qualifiers. They have improved alot in the last couple of years. I know Roscommon won Sligo recently, but inly because Mayo, Galway and Sligo were on the same side of the draw. If my memory serves correctly they only had to beat Leitrim to get to the final. I would not really rank that as a staggering achievement!

Dunno about wanting to meet Armagh again. three times in twelve months I went to Croker, one of them was the most miserable weather I have ever sat through there, it even snowed, and they won all three games. I was heart broken.

What you on about? In 2001 we beat New York, Galway (yes, thats right- Galway!!) and Mayo to win the Connacht title. No sign or Leitrim or sligo there. We then lost to Galway in the AI quarter final after the GAA shafted us in the draw. The fact that it was played in McHale Park also had a lot to do with it.

and there is no way Dublin will compete with Galway, Armagh, Kerry or Offaly this year. The dubs are ****. Face the horrible truth lads.

Sorry I thought they played Galway in the final and Leitrim in the semi. I knew they had played London or New York, but those games hardly count as championship standard games. If they beat Galway and Mayo they did it the hard way and fair dues to them.

In 2001, Galway completely blew Roscommon away in the quarter finals (something like 0-14 to 0-5). Roscommon were dire, showing no bottle, no passion and little ability, and it proved the first game v Galway was a fluke, when Galway had a particularly bad day. The Connacht final v Mayo had a tremendously exciting finish, and I was delighted that Ros finally got the victory that they deserved based on the previous 70 minutes. But with Ros's subsequent failure and Mayo losing to Westmeath, it was probably fair to say it was a game between two mediocre sides.

Its very hard to judge Roscommon this year, playing in Div 2. They beat themselves v Donegal in shooting something like 15 wides to Donegal's 4, while only losing by a point (not dissimilar to Dublin v Laois last year!). But then they got hammered by Offaly in what was effecitvely a promotion playoff. I dont know whether that signalled that Ros are rubbish or Offaly are very good - or maybe there was some other reason for the result?

What planet are ye on?? Galway 0-14, Ros 1-5 was the scoreline. Roscommon were on the beer for two weeks after winning that Connacht title, and yes they were terrible that day in McHale Park. Once Galway came out in the draw it was curtains. I didn't even bother going to the game cause I knew what would happen.

And as for the victory in Tuam being a fluke? Thats bull****. Roscommon just played Galway off the park - and Galway fans have never been able to accept that since.

What the f*ck were they doing on the beer like that when they were still in the Championship. You cant get away with that in this day and age. One night would have been fair enough but they deserved tobe bet if they partied like that. I think you are the GAA equivalent of an ABU, except your irrational hatred is aimed at Dublin and not United. There is no reasonable grounds for stating Dublin is as bad as you say they are. They narrowly lost to the Leinster champions after kicking several thousand wides with no free kick taker last year. And the previous year hit the post with the last kick of the ball in a one point loss to the All Ireland winners of that year. I think we are weak, but i think if we could find a solid free kick taker that would chage alot. Rooster, I hear your comments about Mossy Quinn, but his free kick taking impressed me once or twice during last season, but come championship he was not at the races.

14 scores to 6, that was a right beating thirdmantackle. But you do have your Connacht title to saviour from that year - and what do Galway have?? Oh yeah, the All Ireland winners medals! But if you believe a Connacht semi is more important than an All Ireland quarter final, and the second game rather than the first was the fluke, then I'd hate to quash your fantasy.

I think you're right about Billy Morgan waylander. Cork v Kerry should be a cracker this year. Very hard to predict. I still fancy Kerry, but an upset wouldnt surprise me.

Jason scored his goal with no boot v Laois in the Leinster semi of 1995. He got a point in the 10 point drubbing against Meath and a great goal in the All Ireland semi v Cork - which was probably his first kick of the game, but it was a crucial turing point. He didnt score in the final, but I thought it was his best game. Being so young he didnt seem to get as nervous as a lot of the others did.

Mossy had a poor league campaign in 2003. Showed glimpses of potential, but made plenty of mistakes and seemed a poor decision maker. I remember saying this time last year that I'd drop him from the panel altogether (the reactionary that I am!), tell him to work on his game at Vincents, and give him a guarantee that in 2004 he'd get at least a 3 or 4 game run in the league. Well he wasnt dropped from the panel, and he was next to useless when he did play in the 2003 championship, but he has shown vast improvements in the league this year. He's now worth his place based on his general play. And his freetaking percentages are improving all the time. He's still capable of having mares, but I'm hopeful he'll have a good championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Arent we a little off topic , this is about a Dublin Hurling match after all isnt it ?

only the start. We've wandered into much deeper territory.

Well it was our first Connacht title in 10 years. we deserved to go a little mad. I think the provincial title was the ambition that year, and once it was achieved the management and players took their eye off the bigger picture. We had a 5 week break between the connacht final and the galway game. Galway were playing a match every two weeks after we beat them the first time. They were much better prepared

We had a 5 week break between the connacht final and the galway game. Galway were playing a match every two weeks after we beat them the first time. They were much better prepared

Good point. In all fairness both games had flukish elements to them, in that both teams could point to mitigating factors in their defeat. Galway have, and have had for a few years, a better set of players than Roscommon, but that doesnt mean they'll beat Ros every time. Ros, of course, have the superior manager :cool:

• Advertisement

I'd get rid of him in the morning if I could. He's good for creating a solid back unit - but Roscommon have always had decent enough defences. He has taken possibly the best attack Ros have had since 1980 and has starved them of ball with his preference for the hand passing. If that Ros forward line could get seom decent ball they would destroy any back division

I thought the Ros forward line was Frankie Dolan + 5 gimps? Have you unearthed new talent this year?

I have to admit to not liking Frankie Dolan. A dirty little sly hoor, as they say down the country. Great forward though (just a pity about his antics), very unlucky not to get an All Star last year.

I have no time for him either TBH. though he deserved an All-Star for carrying the team in 3 games.

Nigel Dineen is playing great stuff and the return of the two Lohans is a big boost. Ray Cox is hitting form again and if we can get the ball early into Karl Mannion at FF he has the beating of any full back. We've always had a good set of forwards - its just that they were playing great when we had ****e backs, but now that the backs are good the forwards are gone to ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

(Hurling) Offaly 2-12 Laois 2-13

Laois a tad bit lucky but we will take it.

--laoisfan

Ps. I am so happy to see Galway win in the football yesterday. Well done Galway.

Bizarre that Offaly get relegated with 3 wins, while Antrim stay up with no wins and one draw! But them's the rules!

Dublin's weakend team lost to Wexford's weakend team. Don't think we can read a whole lot into that.

Very good win for the Dublin minors. Back to back wins over Offaly and Wexford. This Dublin team is rated as the best minor hurling team we've had since Niall Quinn's days. Big things were expected and so far they've delivered. Long season ahead though.......... (hopefully!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

but they havent met kilkenny yet, who havent lost a minor match in leinster for years.

its good to see that teams other than kilkenny, offaly and wexford are making progress in the hurling, meath also won at the weekend but theres a pretty small playing base and they were playing wicklow (?)

why is it that dublin, hurling-wise, havent won anything at senior since 1961? is it because of too many competing sports in the capital? is there not a larger playing base there than, say, offaly?

on the football front, cant see offaly doing anything special in leinster.
    wexford i reckon will do well, have louth in the first round and they havent a hope against wexford.
    munster will be interesting to say teh least this year with the return of morgan but i dont remember them doing much in the league- takes time to make changes i suppose.
    as for meath...saw them against wexford and they had no heart at all. seems to have been like this for a while now, was like the match against fermanagh in the championship last year. was it the all ireland against galway that changed them? im thinking it was, and also hoping things pick up between now and the wickla game:D

Kilkenny are on a different planet when it comes to minor hurling. The initial plan for the Dubs is to win this current league format they are in, which will put them into the Leinster semi on the opposite side of the draw to KK. They will play either Wexford or Offaly - that'll be though, as they'll be well up for revenge, and for the first time Dublin will be underdogs. The Dubs will do great to come through that.

Don't really care how they do in the final, as I believe the back-door system is still in place. So it wouldnt be a disaster if they lost, then went on to take on the best from Munster and Connacht, with the plan being to win all ahead of them and take on the cats again in the final, this time winning! Very long shot!

Dublin have won nothing in hurling since 1961, mainly because of the county board treating it as a second class sport. Things seem to be improving on that side, but it doesnt help when the likes of Shane Ryan (the best forward in Dublin hurling) are prevented from lining out.

Write-off Meath at your peril! New find Joe Sheridan has been immense in the league and David Crimmins who missed all the league will be back for the championship, which will again improve their forward line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

unfortunately joe will be out of the wickla match-it seems-for giving the referee the verbals the u-21 match against kildare:(

Obviously follows his clubmate Geraghty for his vocabulary!

Disappointing also for Meath that Geraghty's ban has been upheld, so he won't see any action till August. There seemed to be growing hope that he'd have it reduced significantly.

Still should have enough to see off Meath, and Sheridan would be back for Laois.

• Advertisement
Advertisement