Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brother (Well big American Cousin) is watching you!!

Options
  • 19-04-2004 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Have a look at this link.

It seems that some American patriots are monitoring our press for examples of Anti-Americanism. The scary thing is much of what they cite as evidence is criticism of the mildest sort.

I despise the current generation of neoconservatives and wouldn't want any of them around my house but that's not being Anti American. That's just being sensible.

Though I guess these guys wouldn't agree.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Looks like the Green berries have been rumbled :D

Thankfully im in the Irish "minority" (minority my ar*e!!) who dont oppose planes landing in irish airports, whether they carry US soldiers or not.

Id hide in a big bunker if I was a leftie lover !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Is the Irish times run by a charitable trust?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

a trust more then a chairtable trust.... its sort like a board of people who over look the IT ltd. although it does have chairty status its fully liable to tax and most corporate laws

its aims are to progress science and learning etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

And they said I was mad to build that nuclear shelter....

Relax, its not surprising that Americans who wake up to the fact that there are massive protests against what they perceive as their measured, just and wholly reasonable right to protect themselves from their enemies get a bit grumpy about slogans being daubed on walls telling them that Ireland hates them, accuses them of terrorism and targeting civillians and thirsting for blood.

Theyre not going to invade or anything - theyre probably as influential as the SWP types who wrote the daubed the slogans on the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Is the Irish times run by a charitable trust?

It is run by the Irish Times Trust, which is dedicated to using incomes from the newspaper to help educational, etc. causes.

However, according to reports found by Phoenix magazine, no income has ever been given to the Trust by the newspaper in this way.

On the American question, the CIA and their cronies have more to worry about than what four million non-NATO members think about the Eternal War.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

Speaking of the Irish Times, is their writer Lara Marlowe being paid by the line? If so, she must be rolling in the cash. I'm puzzled by her history. Some say she is a Yank, others a Canuck. Then I read that she is the ex-wife of the creature known as Robert Fisk. What are the real facts? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

I didn't know that she was ever married to Robert Fisk. If she was, fair play to old Bob [genuflect]. She's a bit of a cracker.

I think she's American. SHe was on the Dunphy TV show a while back where he drooled over like one of Pavlov's dogs (can't really blame him) and she used to be the Paris correspondent for the Times.
    Are you sure she was Mrs Fisk?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by TomF
    Speaking of the Irish Times, is their writer Lara Marlowe being paid by the line? If so, she must be rolling in the cash. I'm puzzled by her history. Some say she is a Yank, others a Canuck. Then I read that she is the ex-wife of the creature known as Robert Fisk. What are the real facts? Inquiring minds want to know.

You might want to ask in the News/Media forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by Sand
    And they said I was mad to build that nuclear shelter....

Relax, its not surprising that Americans who wake up to the fact that there are massive protests against what they perceive as their measured, just and wholly reasonable right to protect themselves from their enemies get a bit grumpy about slogans being daubed on walls telling them that Ireland hates them, accuses them of terrorism and targeting civillians and thirsting for blood.

Theyre not going to invade or anything - theyre probably as influential as the SWP types who wrote the daubed the slogans on the wall.

Having read Kevin Myers in the Times today they'll probably hold him up as a typical anti American bog trotter of the most ungrateful sort. And just because he expressed his opinion that Bush's endorsement of Sharon's anexation policy in the West Bank was insane.

I also suspect that Mr Myers won't be invited to give any Commencement speeches in American universities on the grounds that he's Anti Semitic too.

Oh the irony of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Speaking of the Irish Times, is their writer Lara Marlowe being paid by the line?
    Journalists are paid by the word, on a scale that is typically based on their standing.
    If so, she must be rolling in the cash. I'm puzzled by her history. Some say she is a Yank, others a Canuck.
    Who cares? Why not try contacting her through services@irish-times.com
    Then I read that she is the ex-wife of the creature known as Robert Fisk. What are the real facts? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Try "Hello" magazine if you are interested in that end of journalism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement