Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deleting linux partition

Options
  • 19-04-2004 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Ok the problem is this...
    got a friend of mine to install linux on my laptop

30gb hard disk split as 22 gigs windows XP home----6 gigs linux (SUSE 8.2) and 2 gigs linux swap system.

the laptop uses the linux dualboot system to select the operating system

was wondering how to get rid of linux and return my windows hard drive back to 30 gigs, without losing my windows data/reformatting windows partition

oh yeah using partition magic as well....

any help, greatly appreciatted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

boot into your windows cd -> reccovery console -> type 'fixmbr' ...this deletes the os choice menu at boot, then boot into windows -> partition magic -> delete linux partitions -> 'merge' the deleted partitions with the windows

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

If you don't mind losing you linux stuff, then just delete the partition using Partition Magic, then expand your existing Windows partition to fill up the new free space. Also before you do all this you should run "fdisk /mbr" to reformat the Master Boot Record so that the dual boot will be got rid of, if you dont do this then when the Linux partitions are gone you may not be able to get as far as the Dual Boot screen as this usually runs form the linux partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yep I just ran partition magic, formatted into fat32 or whatever, then joined the partitions. And then ran fdisk /mbr to remove grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

meant to get back 2 u sooner ,FIXMBR failed due to the fact that xp is crap!I dunno it rewrote itself so that it couldn't find the operating system and I had to do a reinstall of xp.Of course It still got the job done (linux gone)and due to the reformat my laptop's like a rocket so I can't complain...Thanx 4 the help though it was worth a shot!

DE

Advertisement