Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you had a gun, would you use it?

• 19-04-2004 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Seriously now.

Most of us here are students or have normal jobs.

Let's say you got your hands on two AK-47's. They could change your life if you so chose.

Would you use them to rob a bank? Or would you just stick them in your wardrobe (or something similar)?

In other words, is the only thing stopping you from being a criminal just a lack of firepower?

Yes, I know this is a weird topic, but personally I think if I had a couple of hire powered weapons I'd be robbing banks etc. So deep down I guess I must be a "criminal".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

In my late teens early 20s, I know that if I had access to a gun I would have used without question. I know this cos I once had my friends restrain me while I was on my way into our town centre with a meat cleaver to kill someone. Nowadays I know thar there is more than 1 way to skin a cat...:)
    So yes, the only thing that stopped me was the lack of access. And some friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

I would only use a gun if I had russian mafia friends to back me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

go_to_jail.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by Kersh
    In my late teens early 20s, I know that if I had access to a gun I would have used without question. I know this cos I once had my friends restrain me while I was on my way into our town centre with a meat cleaver to kill someone. Nowadays I know thar there is more than 1 way to skin a cat...:)
    So yes, the only thing that stopped me was the lack of access. And some friends.

your a sick puppy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    Seriously now.

Most of us here are students or have normal jobs.

Let's say you got your hands on two AK-47's. They could change your life if you so chose.

Would you use them to rob a bank? Or would you just stick them in your wardrobe (or something similar)?

In other words, is the only thing stopping you from being a criminal just a lack of firepower?

Yes, I know this is a weird topic, but personally I think if I had a couple of hire powered weapons I'd be robbing banks etc. So deep down I guess I must be a "criminal".

i think ya must be so johnny.. i'd be too afraid i'd actually hurt someone or get sent to jail or something :)

if i knew for certain i'd be only able to give them a slight flesh wound then i might go after certain people.. ahh seriously no.. i don't think i'd do anything with them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

If i had them I think I'd just go and shout bottles and crap, ohhh and cats, I hate cats they are more eviler than skelator!!

So i think its a bit of both, mind and lack of access!:dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

This is why that old phrase is used so much "Guns don't kill people, people kill people".

If you seriously couldn't restrain yourself from attacking people or using it to threaten/intimidate people then you hardly have much in the way of character. I'm certain there are a lot of people who read boards who hold a gun licence, but don't feel the need to go out and shoot someone or hold up a bank.

To instantly associate guns with that is a bit pathetic tbh. And though this might drag in the anti gun groups to the thread, I still consider certain weapons acceptable for use in sports. Just as archery is acceptable today (even though for a few hundred years it was one of the deadliest weapons known to man).

It all comes down to the person who's using them. And depending on that person, anything can become a weapon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Guns don't kill bullets do.

If I had Ak-47s I'd turn them over to the military for fear someone would rob them and use them on someone. I would never use them for myself. If pistols were legal, I would probably keep on in a safe in my house or something like that, for purely defensive reasons, but hopefully I would never have to use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Dont Ban Me
    If i had them I think I'd just go and shout bottles and crap, ohhh and cats, I hate cats they are more eviler than skelator!!

So i think its a bit of both, mind and lack of access!:dunno:
    i'd shoot you.
    just for shits and giggles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

but personally I think if I had a couple of hire powered weapons I'd be robbing banks etc

REALLY! YOUR SO COOL

• Advertisement

Thankk god my friends stopped me. Rage is a terrible thing. but then the hormones calm down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I don't see much good use for guns outside war / hunting reasons. And I don't think AK-47s qualify as hunting rifles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

Originally posted by tman
    i'd shoot you.

Cool, can I've a go too??? :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Seriously now.

Seriously now?
    I don't think you could be serious. Either that or you're naive in the extreme.

I own several firearms (legally), and I have never, not for a moment, considered using them to rob a bank. Nor have I comtemplated killing someone on a whim.

Just because one has access to guns, it does not give one the urge to use them to wipe someone out. Shooting a living person or thing is not that easy.
    I am mature enough to realise that having access to a gun does not give me a right to think I'm Arnie.
    I would never comtemplate shooting another person under anything but the most extreme circumstances.

Grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

if you are serious, you are one ****ed up individual. U shud be shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

OK, maybe I'm not being too serious, but my point is... is it just the laws (no guns etc.) which is keeping a lot of us from becoming criminals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's been a dream of mine to pull a baretta on some scumbag that's hassling me for change/fags in the street for years... so yeah I'd use a pistol.

I wouldn't be too likely to use an AK47 at all though...

Originally posted by tman
    i'd shoot you.
    Originally posted by Sleepy
    It's been a dream of mine to pull a baretta on some scumbag that's hassling me for change/fags in the street for years... so yeah I'd use a pistol.

This thread should be locked, before it turns into a bullet-fest.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

If you really wanted a gun I'm sure you could get one. The law on gun's isnt really a thing htat is stopping us from becoming criminals. You could just go make a home-made bomb or something instead of using a gun.

Absolutely nothing f***** up about me. I got in a rage when a group of lads decided to start a fight (with bars) with me and my friend. They gave him an almighty hiding, real bad, so I went home and decided I would get them. In the end, like I said, Iwas stopped. But anthow, I have the last laugh as 3 of the 6 guys are either dead or in prison. What goes around comes around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Absolutely nothing f***** up about me. I got in a rage when a group of lads decided to start a fight (with bars) with me and my friend. They gave him an almighty hiding, real bad, so I went home and decided I would get them. In the end, like I said, Iwas stopped. But anthow, I have the last laugh as 3 of the 6 guys are either dead or in prison. What goes around comes around.

This reminds me of something I have heard about. Did this happen in Clondalkin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Whats the difference between a high powered weapon and a shotgun?
    Can you not rob a bank with a shotgun?

The question that needs to be asked is are you prepared to accidently shoot somebody for a few bob?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

I think this is the same as asking "if you had super powers, would you use them for good or evil?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Originally posted by ssh
    I think this is the same as asking "if you had super powers, would you use them for good or evil?"

Yup, it is indeed.

I think I'd use them for both.

Let's get nerdy for a second - when I was about 10 I used to play AD&D and I used to be "chaotic neutral".

Indeed.

No. Happened in Swords, about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I have shotguns, rifles and a handgun in my house, and I would never ever ever bring them outside of my house not even to show anyone. Yes and they are all licensed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Its a stupid question. A gun is not hard to get. Why not ask ..........would you rob a bank?
    Would you Johnny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Might get an air rifle for shooting knackers without them knowing who shot them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Originally posted by Giblet
    I have shotguns, rifles and a handgun in my house, and I would never ever ever bring them outside of my house not even to show anyone. Yes and they are all licensed.

What you got? Would you use them in self defence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Let's say you got your hands on two AK-47's. They could change your life if you so chose

I'd sell them...:confused:
    I've thought about this and the only thing stopping me being a criminal is that I cant run very fast (unless Im drunk), and Im totally unfit, otherwise...who knows...Don Bug perhaps? :D

Offhand:

Beretta S687
    Mauser rifle (hitler youth collectors)

I can't check them at the moment, in gun safe (which are a legal requirement now)

My Dad started the tallaght Rod and Gun, but sold it over ten years ago.

They are for hunting only and clays, he has three other guns, but I can't recall what they are. They could be used in self defence, although, it's not a recommendation, as one, you'd go to jail, and two, they are super lethal.

Duplicate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I shot a Beretta a few times in the US :)
    It was really cool at the time but it freaked me out a little afterwards when I thought of the power.

Syke

What type of handgun?

I have NO idea.

It was the one used for security in the shop, it might not even work, I don't go around testing them:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭the cat

nah i dont need or like guns
    but i would keep one for protection, if i really needed it

Originally posted by syke
    I shot a Beretta a few times in the US :)
    It was really cool at the time but it freaked me out a little afterwards when I thought of the power.

Syke

The Beretta that Giblet mentions is a shotgun.

With an optimum range of 50m:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

is it just the laws (no guns etc.) which is keeping a lot of us from becoming criminals?

thats the most stupid thing i have ever heard in my life

and personnally i wouldnt buy a gun.

planning on buying a sword sometime soon though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I had access to quite alot of firearms a while ago, this is me with the actual magnum from dirty harry. :D
    And to answer the original question no i wouldnt use them for evil purposes, only for day to day activities, such as shooting at the television when it annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I don't have a gun, but I have a sword. (looks like this) - and I'd use it ... if I REALLY had to.

I have NO idea.

It was the one used for security in the shop, it might not even work, I don't go around testing them:D

I suspect you have no idea because this was either a fictional handgun, or a starting pistol.
    Private handgun ownership has been illegal in this country since the 1960s.
    Keeping an illegally held handgun in a gun shop for "security" purposes would be an exceedingly stupid thing to do.

Please don't try to impress us with your wild Walter Mitty type stories.
    Please don't threaten to shoot me.

Originally posted by Deadwing
    I had access to quite alot of firearms a while ago, this is me with the actual magnum from dirty harry. :D
    And to answer the original question no i wouldnt use them for evil purposes, only for day to day activities, such as shooting at the television when it annoys me.

Wow, you look so cool and scary with the actual magnum from dirty harrytm.

Samson, excuse me?

For one, in a gun shop, nothing having security is the stupid thing, you have no idea, and are making stupid assumptions.

The shop had been targetted plenty of times. You may think you know the laws, but you are very naive to believe there are not exceptions. Especially when one owns a gun shop, which the police come in all the time to talk about guns, and stock repairs, and to help with transports for private clients. Please do not use your stupidly arrogant tones just because you think you know all about guns.

Not having a gun in a gun shop is stupid. People stealing guns and ammo is quite a popular thing.

Oh and threaten to shoot you fucking child, trying to act the big man, because what you think isn't possible can't be, and I must be a big liar or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Bard
    I don't have a gun, but I have a sword. (looks like this) - and I'd use it ... if I REALLY had to.

Did you buy that here? because if you did it will probably snap in half the first time it hits anthing solid. These are the only kind of swords available here. Either way it looks cool.

O and to the original poster, you're a pleb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by Samson
    Wow, you look so cool and scary with the actual magnum from dirty harrytm.

Who put **** in your cornflakes?

Jerk.

Samson, excuse me?

For one, in a gun shop, nothing having security is the stupid thing, you have no idea, and are making stupid assumptions.

The shop had been targetted plenty of times. You may think you know the laws, but you are very naive to believe there are not exceptions. Especially when one owns a gun shop, which the police come in all the time to talk about guns, and to help with transports for private clients. Please do not use your stupidly arrogant tones just because you think you know all about guns.

Not having a gun in a gun shop is stupid. People stealing guns and ammo is quite a popular thing.

Never said anything about a gun. I said handgun. There is a very significant difference Walter.
    And no, there are no exceptions to the handgun ban, gun dealer or not.

And Walter, I never professed to knowing a lot about guns. But the little I do know, I know correctly.

Yes ok I suppose, it's illegal to own one, I suppose noone has any pirated Mp3's either.

Assumption boy better keep quiet about me, or the fuzz might be around!

Oh and did you know cops, sometimes when they confiscate stuff, they KEEP it for themselves.

But of course that can't happen, as it's against the law.

You see my dads a CIA guy and the police officers were so nice to make certain allowances as he investigated my neighbours.

Originally posted by Deadwing
    Who put **** in your cornflakes?

Jerk.

I'm sorry, but I just have a problem with this thread and posts like yours.
    It won't be long before someone posts a pic with the caption Look at my cool RPG.
    My cock, sorry, gun is bigger than yours syndrome.

Yes ok I suppose, it's illegal to own one, I suppose noone has any pirated Mp3's either.

Assumption boy better keep quiet, or the fuzz might be around!

Sorry Walter, I don't understand that. Who's assumption boy?
    And, I don't think illegally held handguns and MP3s would be viewed in quite the same light by the judiciary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement