Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you had a gun, would you use it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by Samson
    I'm sorry, but I just have a problem with this thread and posts like yours.
    It won't be long before someone posts a pic with the caption Look at my cool RPG.
    My cock, sorry, gun is bigger than yours syndrome.

Ah right, so on a thread about guns, you object to people posting pictures of guns, or holding a gun. Ever think maybe you should just go to a forum or thread where stuff doesnt irritate you? And stop trying to start petty drama like a bloody 15yr old pre-pubescent girl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Sorry Walter, I don't understand that. Who's assumption boy?
    And, I don't think illegally held handguns and MP3s would be viewed in quite the same light by the judiciary.

No but you're saying that having one in position can't happen.

It could even be decomissioned, but hey, I don't want to make assumptions as you yourself are.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Deadwing
    Ah right, so on a thread about guns...

Well, you see, my problem is, this thread is not about guns per se, it's about would you do something stupid if you had access to a gun?
    Had this been a general discussion about firearms, without the silly stuff, I would not be trotting around on my high-horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

There are exceptions to the the handgun ban. IRA Informants are allowed to have them, as are certain police and intelligents officers for personal protection. Afaik the guns you're issued are **** though.

Originally posted by Giblet
    No but you're saying that having one in position can't happen.

It could even be decomissioned, but hey, I don't want to make assumptions as you yourself are.

Yes, you're right, of course it's possible that your father behaved in a criminal manner by owning an illegal, non-licensed firearm. My apologies.

However, it's not very sensible of you to be bragging about your father being a criminal.

Well, you see, my problem is, this thread is not about guns per se, it's about would you do something stupid if you had access to a gun?
    Had this been a general discussion about firearms, without the silly stuff, I would not be trotting around on my high-horse.

And maybe if you read my post youd have seen i did say what id do with a gun if i had one.
    Anyway, think what you like, it was a thread about guns and what you'd do with them, i posted a pic of myself with a gun and said what id do if i had one, and if that got your little panties in a bunch, well i am SO sorry.

/sarcasm off

Yes it is very possible that, if found out, he might of gotten into trouble.

I can't help feeling that the police pretty much knew though, you as IT IS A GUN SHOP. Police tend to know the goings on, and maybe it wasn't above board, but again making assumptions that my father had possession of a handgun which was aquired through means which could have had legal consequences due to it being unsolicitated, as in the police weren't involved, or had indeed got it for him isn't something I like to do, and I wouldn't recommend it to you, because, who the fuck are you to talk about my family.

Of course a sarcastic/cyncial comment, about how cool I think I am or something will be the perfect answer, because no-one is more in the know as you.

well i am SO sorry.

That's okay. Apology accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Thing is though, that anyone here who says that they'd pull a beretta or ak on someone (those being serious...), obviously I don't know them, but I'd highly doubt that they would. Granted one might do so to a scumbag or someone, but the odds of them pulling the trigger are like non-existant. My father owns 2 shotguns and a .22 rifle, and I own an air rifle. All of which I have access to, and I'm sure if i got so pissed off at someone that I would kill them the thought might cross my mind but so far that hasn't happened. The closest I've come to killing someone is when I was target shooting with the .22 rifle and by accident I missed the target by a good foot or so and it went wizzing off into the distance (I'm not normally that bad a shot..honest..). And I'm not trying to say that I'd never shoot anyone because that's bad or its a sin or because of the the emotional/mental trauma, simply because I'm sure I'd like to think, aswell as nearly everyone else, that I could kill someone if I wanted to or needed to do and not bat an eyelid. But all you have to do is look at the first time the GI's in Vietnam or WWII or WWI killed someone, granted they were in war circumstances but that would only add to the fact that the had just killed someone in cold blood. I mean..ah I dunno. I'm goin off..

• Advertisement

who the fuck are you to talk about my family.

Well, it was you who claimed that your father was a criminal, I merely repeated it.
    No matter how he got his hands on said handgun, having said handgun is a criminal offence, whether the Gardai turned a blind eye or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I've owned shotguns in the past and hoping to buy a semi automatic shotgun shortly, if someone threatened my life or a member of my familys life I would defend myself/them by wounding the person non fatally

You make it sound like he intended to use it for criminal intent, rather than a deterrant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

who the **** are you to talk about my family.
    Ya man! Dont be like talking about his family and stuff, dude. I mean like how stupid are you not to understand that illegally shooting someone with an illegal handgun is legal in a gun shop. You know nothing man!!!

You make it sound like he intended to use it for criminal intent, rather than a deterrant.

It don't matter.
    Just having it is a criminal offence.

Oh I see another guy making assumptions, read my post above.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    Ya man! Dont be like talking about his family and stuff, dude. I mean like how stupid are you not to understand that illegally shooting someone with an illegal handgun is legal in a gun shop. You know nothing man!!!

Touché

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Captain Samson, thanks ever so much for your moral advice in this thread, I'm sure deep down Giblet and those other rascals appreciate it just as much as the rest of us do. Whatever the world would do without caped crusaders such as yourself, I just don't know.

:rolleyes:

Returning (just about) to the original (stupid) topic, you wouldn't need an AK-47 to rob a bank. In fact, you'd have a hard time getting anywhere with an AK-47 without being noticed. If you're going for firearms, you'd want something more easily concealable, like a pistol or sawn-off. Hell, you mightn't even need a lethal weapon on your person to rob a bank - remember the story about the phone-robber in Pulp Fiction?

Plus, there's a hell of a lot more to robbing a bank than having scary armament. You think having two AK-47s is going to stop you being caught? Or shot by the ARU? You need tactics more than you need weapons.

I'm not even going to address the problem with assuming someone would automatically want to use a firearm for malintent, I'm sure everyone sees this and this is obviously a highly hypothetical/abstract topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Hell, you can even rob a bank with a highlighter, as seen with bruce willis in bandits

Originally posted by Sico
    Captain Samson, thanks ever so much for your moral advice in this thread, I'm sure deep down Giblet and those other rascals appreciate it just as much as the rest of us do. Whatever the world would do without caped crusaders such as yourself, I just don't know.

You're welcome.

But seriously:
    Quite frankly (my dear), I don't care whether my opinions or moralising are appreciated or not. Populist I'm not.
    However, I'm also not so immature to play along, this thread screams immaturity, exemplified by people bragging about having illegal firearms and posting photos of themselves waving .357 Magnums around.
    And as we all know, boys and girls, immaturity and guns don't mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Boston
    Did you buy that here? because if you did it will probably snap in half the first time it hits anthing solid. These are the only kind of swords available here. Either way it looks cool.

Yes, I bought that in Ireland, and believe me - it's tough enough! It's hit plenty of solid things in the (short) time I've had it and has left it's mark...

I doubt your expertise on what are "the only kind of swords available here" anyway. This sword is thick, heavy, strong and far from being 'purely an ornament'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Shoot bastard crows that eat up the grain after its been sown in the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I know someone, ended up smuggling his steryr home from his last post.

He had an ak-74u also, but got rid of it after neighbours got suspicious of rapid full auto rifle fire and flying shell casings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    Seriously now.

Most of us here are students or have normal jobs.

Let's say you got your hands on two AK-47's. They could change your life if you so chose.

Would you use them to rob a bank? Or would you just stick them in your wardrobe (or something similar)?

In other words, is the only thing stopping you from being a criminal just a lack of firepower?

Yes, I know this is a weird topic, but personally I think if I had a couple of hire powered weapons I'd be robbing banks etc. So deep down I guess I must be a "criminal".
    It really isn't that hard to get a gun these days...

And as we all know, boys and girls, immaturity and guns don't mix.

However, being an ignorant spineless lightweigt and the starting drama on the internet, do. As proved by Samson here. Thank you for that wonderful demonstration, we've all been enlightened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    I know someone, ended up smuggling his steryr home from his last post.
    Never mind that the quartermaster keeps records of all rifles issued, and a missing one would be treated quite seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Would you use them to rob a bank? Or would you just stick them in your wardrobe (or something similar)?

In other words, is the only thing stopping you from being a criminal just a lack of firepower?

Yes, I know this is a weird topic, but personally I think if I had a couple of hire powered weapons I'd be robbing banks etc. So deep down I guess I must be a "criminal".

For a start these lads are probably quicker on the draw than you.

Secondly armed robberies & bank raids are primarily for losers. I saw the statistics once, and as far as I remember, on average you get about E5,000 from an armed robbery and you have an 80% chance of being detected and arrested (if you you are lucky, shot by the lads above you are not). It's a mug's game.

Crimes like computer fraud or credit card fraud give you the opportunity to take a lot more money for a much lower chance of ending up in prison or getting shot. That's what the smart crooks are into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Immature or not, what's the problem, Samson? Let the boys have their fun. As long as this stays as a discussion on an internet chat board, they're not doing anyone any harm. If any of these people were actually planning to harm someone with these firearms, I don't think your moral crusading would stop them. Nor do I believe that this kind of discussion would encourage them. All you have done, in my opinion, is given yourself the image of a nagging nanny-type, and thus lost yourself credibility.

This was an immature thread to begin with, do you think you can turn it around and get everyone on the straight-and-narrow? Or should you maybe just ignore it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by irish1
    I've owned shotguns in the past and hoping to buy a semi automatic shotgun shortly, if someone threatened my life or a member of my familys life I would defend myself/them by wounding the person non fatally
    DUMB F**K. They'd sue you then. And get you thrown into jail. And then they cold do wot ever they want to your family.

If someone threatened my family, and I know they were serious, I'd get rid of them.

=====

Back to the topic; if I had an AK47, I'd use it for aiming practise :) And after I get good @ it, I'd put it away, for, erm, "emergency use" ;)

Originally posted by the_syco
    If someone threatened my family, and I know they were serious, I'd get rid of them.

I could happily use an AK47 on this piece of vermin

I'd be quite happy to go prison for ridding the world of a piece of sh|t like that. And I would sleep soundly afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭df001i6876

OK, maybe I'm not being too serious, but my point is... is it just the laws (no guns etc.) which is keeping a lot of us from becoming criminals?
    I have a spud gun ? one off the old ones well worth 5 kg off potatoes.
    no good for shooting people . make mash potatoes.
    I"ll let you have it that ] al capone would say. that hands up and hand over
    ?hmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Originally posted by Bard
    Yes, I bought that in Ireland, and believe me - it's tough enough! It's hit plenty of solid things in the (short) time I've had it and has left it's mark...

I doubt your expertise on what are "the only kind of swords available here" anyway. This sword is thick, heavy, strong and far from being 'purely an ornament'.

As you say bard it's not where you buy it, but more to do with what you buy. Grade 440 steel is for actual use. Grade 420 is more for show and will snap. There are loads of places selling swords which you can use. Just ask about the quality/grade of the steel first.

I don't feel anything else in this thread is worth replying to because it's so packed full of bull****. Guns are just guns mmmkay? If you want to make up for something, why not just smoke a nice big cigar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭df001i6876

Originally posted by ][cEMAN**
    As you say bard it's not where you buy it, but more to do with what you buy. Grade 440 steel is for actual use. Grade 420 is more for show and will snap. There are loads of places selling swords which you can use. Just ask about the quality/grade of the steel first.

I don't feel anything else in this thread is worth replying to because it's so packed full of bull****. Guns are just guns mmmkay? If you want to make up for something, why not just smoke a nice big cigar.
    freezes and put yer hands up
    ill shoot yerrr with me spud < give me yerrr cigar i hope it cuban good they arrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

This makes no sence to me, the lack of a gun is not stoping me from from being violent. If i decided to "shoot up" a school ,workplace or work place i would simply use a weapon instead of a gun if i didnt have a gun. (yes i know using a weapon is not "shooting up" but its still a mad rampage)

Originally posted by Bard

I'm not an expert, just I know that all swords like that sold in Ireland are "ment" to have a built in flaw in them so they snap in half before they would, say, go through an arm or the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

In reply to Bostons' post, the majority of swords (replicas usually but a lot others) have rat-tail tang constructions, so if there was a full contact with something, the blacde would most likely snap off near the hilt. That's not to say that it still wouldn't cause damage. However, a lot of swords (nearly all katanas, tantos etc. etc., and other normal medieval swords) can be bought with a full tang, that is to say they are/can be used for full contact use. But as Iceman said, the grade of the materials used is usually a high factor in determining the strength and quality of the sword...

However, being an ignorant spineless lightweigt(sic) and the starting drama on the internet, do.

Excuse me?
    Do want to get shot sonny?

Originally posted by Sico
    If any of these people were actually planning to harm someone with these firearms, I don't think your moral crusading would stop them.

I agree.

Originally posted by Spike
    In reply to Bostons' post, the majority of swords (replicas usually but a lot others) have rat-tail tang constructions, so if there was a full contact with something, the blacde would most likely snap off near the hilt. That's not to say that it still wouldn't cause damage. However, a lot of swords (nearly all katanas, tantos etc. etc., and other normal medieval swords) can be bought with a full tang, that is to say they are/can be used for full contact use. But as Iceman said, the grade of the materials used is usually a high factor in determining the strength and quality of the sword...

Yep thats what I was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

i own 2 guns both mossberg 6 shot pump action shotguns
    i use them responsibly and am legally entitled to hold them both
    im getting a nice 22 air rifle yipeee ^_^

id never shoot someone its against the law

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Originally posted by Senor_Fudge
    id never shoot someone its against the law

So your first... issue... is not a moral one??

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I don't think I'd use a gun on anyone or anything. I might threaten someone with it, I'm a bit stressed out lately!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

I have a lighter gun. Looks real. I keep it under my bed incase someone breaks in at night in the hope they might actually think its real!

although .. if I am in the house on my own and I hear something strange I have a tendancy to go to the knife drawer as opposed to the fake gun. So in that respect. If I had a gun.. I probably would use it .. if the case need be.

hopefully things will never come to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

I have shotguns, rifles and a handgun in my house, and I would never ever ever bring them outside of my house not even to show anyone. Yes and they are all licensed.

There are no licenced handguns in Ireland. They were all taken in years ago. Unless its a government waepon, Garda, Army etc.

BTW Gun safes are not a legal requirement. The Gardaí lean on you to get one but you are not legally required to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

this is an odd thread. The original post is odd to say the least.

The law is not the only thing keeping people from comitting crimes. It's a pretty complex thing, as everyone instinctively understands.

Guns are a bad thing, obviously. While I don't like the idea of people having guns at all, it's not a big issue here like it is in the states.

What I do wonder about is the gardai - i heard that 1/3rd of all officers were armed or had ready access to arms. I wonder how long it is before they all are, givin the huge rise in armed criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DUX

I would use it to kill all those fu***** knackers out there and clean up the city from those scumbags. I would feel no remorse and no regrets as I wouldn't be commiting a crime..... rubbish has to be thrown away, no let be free to walk around.....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dangerman

What I do wonder about is the gardai - i heard that 1/3rd of all officers were armed or had ready access to arms. I wonder how long it is before they all are, givin the huge rise in armed criminals.

They would have them tomorrow if it was up to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Guns are a bad thing, obviously

Obvious to who?How can an inanimate object be good or bad?It's just a tool,like a hammer or bread knife.If the thread was "Who would you kill with a hammer" would that make hammers bad?

While I don't like the idea of people having guns at all

That'd be your problem.If the Garda Sargeant says you are a suitable person anyone can get a firearm cert.

i heard that 1/3rd of all officers were armed or had ready access to arms

The Gardai should be issued with PR24 Batons,Pepper Spray,Air Tasers,Riot Shotguns,Pistols and Carbines,and trained in their use and deployment.

And if I neede to be reminded that there are scum out there who need shooting before they **** with me or mine I watch this again.This is graphic and real, so if you are squeamish ,don't look.

*gone*

Musashi, I'd advise you to remove that now!

Showing someone getting killed isn't cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by Musashi
    Guns are a bad thing, obviously

Obvious to who?How can an inanimate object be good or bad?It's just a tool,like a hammer or bread knife.If the thread was "Who would you kill with a hammer" would that make hammers bad?

A bread knife is designed to spread butter and cut bread. A hammer is designed to hammer nails. A gun is designed to kill. I'm not saying that all three items don't have alternative uses, but there is a big difference between them. They can't be compared as you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

A gun is designed to fire bullets accurately, that's all.

Giblet, that girl didn't die, though she did have to be re-sussed.
    My point was that you can't imagine the scum that are out there looking to do you and your family harm.The guy was put to death on his capture.I wasn't trying to be cool, just realistic, these animals are out there, and if a thread as stupid as this one makes you take better care of yourself and your family I'll call it a win.
    If you want to discuss this I'm usually on the SD board under Sports and my e-mail is in my profile.
    That was not the only, or indeed the worst clip I have,or have seen.People need to realise how fragile life is and that it must be jealously guarded lest it be taken for sport by assholes like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement