Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Image Optimisation?

Options
  • 19-04-2004 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I need to find a simple tool to optimise pictures. I'm not a graphic designer, have a good grasp on PAINT :) but no proper packages.

I want to retain good quality but reduce file size by 10 - 20%

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are many, many versions of Mspaint - about 4 in windows 95 alone...

If you have an option to save as JPG then choose it.
    Other wise use a different program. Most other programs have options to choose compression when saving as JPG. The quality depends on colour depth and
    complexity of the original image. If it is not a photo then reduce the colour depth first - if acceptible then save as JPG.

infranview will open and save as for most formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If you have access to Photshop use that. Save image for web. Then the option is there to to save a jpeg/gif and select the amount of colours in the picture, plus other options. Image size is greatly reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Yes Irfanview is excellent. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

I certainly save as .jpg - I'm not one of those "Why is my picture so big/bitmap guys?" :)

I use Irfanview - I'm about to give that a go - thanks for the tips guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'll second Irfanview. It's an excellent free image viewer and manipulator. If all you want to do is optimise and save images it should more than suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The best apps for this are fireworks and photohop.

Best approach is to reduce the number of colours and then try it as a GIF, PNG, JPEG to see which looks best and reduces in size the smallest. Images with lots of detail and different colours will work best as JPEGs, anything with larger areas of the same colout will work best a PNG/GIF. If you are using jpegs then you can reduce the quallity until you find the best compromise between IQ and file size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

It turns out that the images in question are gifs and that Irfanview is no use reducing file size on em :(

But if I make them jpegs they go down a good bit in size without loss of quality so I'll go with that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

Not the easiest too out there, but once you get the hang of it, its quite powerful (so I was told - still mastering it) - and its Free - opensource etc.

Advertisement