Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rage against the machine use samples

Options
  • 19-04-2004 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

on every rage album is written: 'no samples used in the making of this recording'. Pop quiz hot shot: which song uses a sample?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ehhh... bulls on parade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭rowan

nope

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

gimme a hint, what album?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭davoc

'renegades of funk' perhaps or is that intro and the stuff just like the intro during the song done on guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

It's Renegades of Funk, isn't it, where they use a sample of the crowd from the original song in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

wat about wake up?sounds very like the godzilla theme in the intro,not sure how original the godzilla tune is however..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

yeh it is wake up,the original song was done by led zeppelin(Moby Dick)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The first chord sounds like kashmir, but it doesn't sound like any Led Zep song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Originally posted by rowan
    on every rage album is written: 'no samples used in the making of this recording'. Pop quiz hot shot: which song uses a sample?

How dyou know that a song uses it? ¬_¬

And I can't find 'no samples used in the making of this recording' on Evil Empire.

Mebbe you meant:
    "ALL SOUNDS MADE BY GUITAR, BASS, DRUMS, AND VOCALS"
    ?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

Plus if it does say sample it would mean the actually 'sampling' of the original item. Not playing it. But I don't think it says that in the sleeve notes ne where...

• Advertisement

>It's Renegades of Funk, isn't it, where they use a sample of the crowd
    that's not the one i was thinking of, but if there's a crowd noise then that would be a sample.

>wake up,the original song was done by led zeppelin(Moby Dick)
    does sound similar, that would make it a cover or plagiarism, but not a sample

>all sounds made by guitar, bass, drums, and vocals
    either way, this is a sample not made by those instruments

>gimme a hint, what album?
    battle of LA.
    that'll be your homework for tonight children

its there, believe me!!! it lasts for about 3 or 4 seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Wake Up sounds like Kashmir, not Moby Dick.

And if my memory serves me correctly, Renegades is an album of covers, which negates the sampling aspect...?

Unless you are talking about the Korean radio noises at the end of Sleep Now In The Fire, which Tom strangely picked up through his amplifier and were therefore made by their own instruments. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

my apologies,i meant kashmir,always get them two mixed up

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

It's at the end of sleep now in the fire, isn't it?

yep that's it, at the end of sleep now in the fire. Just turn the volume up at about 3:17. Its a house track with house beats/vocal/sounds. His amp was acting as a radio, so the sound is recorded or 'sampled' off radio... and the track itself is made up of samples

wow thats a very interesting piece of information..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

so the sound is recorded or 'sampled' off radio...

thats not what sampling is. thats just interference...

i agree with tyranny. rowan you are wrong, it isnt a house track it is interference/feedback and static from toms amps. not a house track, its people talking in some foreign language, korean apparently.

not going to get into a debate about. this is my last post on the subject. I have listened to it a hundred times cos its so strange on a ratm album. Don't get me wrong, i love ratm. Tom says he picked the signal up from a korean radio station on and "old, vintage distortion pedal called a Tone Bender".
    http://www.musicfanclubs.org/rage/articles/snitf.htm
    He says "That radio signal is no sample - it was played!". He's wrong. A sample is a sample no matter what technology is used to record or "sample" the piece of music. Listen to it again, a few times.

Its a house track.
    It lasts for 6 seconds and the bpm is 132.
    It consists of one male vocalist and one female vocalist.
    It contains the classic house/techno beat structure, alternating kick + hihat on every beat.
    It contains a pop-synth melody, 3 notes repeating.
    It originated from some non-ratm source.
    Its cheestastic.

its a sample.

deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

deal with it.

you've changed my life.

• Advertisement

hows about what is the only song that zach actually sings on?(using the term very loosley)

Could it be beutiful world, of the renegades album?

rowan, the RATM FAQ says different. who thinks it is sampling? or does anyone agree that if it was made by his amp/distortion pedal it wasnt sampling?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

sampling = using a sampler to modify manipulate and arrange a piece of audio into a new context.

picking up a radio station on your amp = picking a radio station on your amp

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by superconor
    Could it be beutiful world, of the renegades album?

exactly wat i was thinking,its so unusual not to hear him scream,yet brilliant,can almost imagine them all get back together and do an mtv unplugged session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

/me wishes ^^^^^^^^

I still kinda disagree with the sampling.
    And I presume they wanted it left in, whatever it was.
    I doubt playing the song again would be much bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

This thread is so anal. Who cares if it used sampling or not. Why would anyone even wanna know?:dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ahhhh this is a load of shyt, years ago you sold out if you used overdubs, now it's samples, big fycking deal. It doesn't matter, really, in the grand scheme of things. :p

Glad to see two of us are at least sane doctor j!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yup, I mean, it ain't gonna make my day any cloudier if he used a sampler :D

I'm already over it :p

• Advertisement

I don't even like rage that much.:D

Advertisement