Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Digital Cordless Phones - Security

Options
  • 19-04-2004 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm wondering how secure these new digital cordless phones are? Does the fact that they're digital make much difference? Can people pick up conversations with scanners?
    I'm thinking about getting this one.....
    eircom 4012 micro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

i think the encryption used is part of the DECT standard. so there's no way you could pick it up with a regular radio scanner. i dunno if it's crackable but i'd say it would take quite a bit of effort if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Dect handsets are pretty secure for normal usage.
    Each handset has a unique ID and has to be registered with the base (also has a unique ID) Registration is enabled manually and usually only for a couple of minutes.

The 4012 does not have military-grade encryption but unless you are a target for sophisticated eavesdroppers, I would not worry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 GoodForNothing

The Feds weren't tailing me the last time I looked anyway so I should be OK.
    Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I saw somewhere that it was as secure as GSM.

Advertisement