Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Class Honours

Options
  • 19-04-2004 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

How difficult is it to get a first class honours degree.
    I'm doing Computer Applications.
    How useful/respected is it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jefinner

ha!! obviously not a lot of people got first class honours!!

im sure that it is pretty tough though, dont know anyone who got those kind of results!

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

If you're smart you'll get a 1.1 but in IT its definitely not needed.
    Don't worry about it if you don't get a 1.1. nobody else will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I think it's about 10% on average that get 1.1s. This can vary greatly with different courses - the % tends to be higher in science and IT than in Arts. You can usually tell if you're going to get a first though - what are your typical grades for assignments, how did you do in other years, are you among the best students in the class?

I'd advise you to do as well as you can in your finals. It's not the end of the world if you don't get a first but it's good to know that you did your best for your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 GoodForNothing

If I were to get a 1.1 are your job prospects very good (taking into the account the slump in IT) or do interviews play a large part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Im aiming for a 2.1. I reckong when it comes to interviews they will always base their reasoning on a MIX of qualifications and personality/experience. Remember, they will not always take the person that is right for the job on paper.

Luck of the draw really....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

I got a 1.1, and to be honest it really dosn't make a lot of a difference. If you are going for Masters/PhD then its useful because some PhD will only take 1.1 degrees. Once you are in the industry a few years no-one is going to care about your degree anyway.
    In fact I've even had one company turn me away because they don't take people with a 1.1, they reckon they would be bored and would leave after a few months. Also, you often have interviwers who assume that you did nothing but study in collage if you have a 1.1 and may not be able to integrate into a company socially.
    So really, it doesn't make much difference, if you can get it, then do, but you don't get a 1.1 then it really doesn't effect your job prospects too much anyway.
    So basically don't worry too much about it.

thats the kind of attitude that gets you places.......humble......i like it!!
    i doubt i will ever get a 1.1.....ha!!
    im on my work experience at the mo, and there are people in here that got a degree in one thing and a masters in computers, but they are doing the same jobs as the people who got degrees in computers!!

Originally posted by jefinner
    thats the kind of attitude that gets you places.......humble......i like it!!

Well, the guy asked whether it was useful/respected, so I though giving him a first-hand account would be useful, didn't mean to come across as full-of-it....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by padraigmyers
    Well, the guy asked whether it was useful/respected, so I though giving him a first-hand account would be useful, didn't mean to come across as full-of-it....

I don't think you did, and you made your points well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 GoodForNothing

No your grand padraig. Any insights/experience is more than welcome.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

oh god no, i wasnt saying that you were "full of it" far from it, i thought it was very commendable that you achieved such a brilliant result, and yet were very reassuring to all us "dumb asses" out there.

Sorry, no offence was intended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Ryvita

Computing wasn't my degree and I got into an IT job with a diploma easily enough. They don't really care when you are a graduate. Probably best to get an honour at least. To be honest experience is the most important.

Originally posted by jefinner
    oh god no, i wasnt saying that you were "full of it" far from it, i thought it was very commendable that you achieved such a brilliant result, and yet were very reassuring to all us "dumb asses" out there.

Sorry, no offence was intended!

OK, sorry about the misunderstanding. I've got into the habbit of assuming that anything that sounds even a little sarcastic on boards probably is. Thanks for the complement!

Also, another reson that emplyers don't really regard your level of degree very much is because in the real world grades don't count for a lot. In computer-related course's you can do nothing but study and learn stuff 24-7 to get A's, but unless you actually understand whats going on you will probably be a crap employee, no-one can sustain that level of study once you start working.

What employers are more interested in are projects you did in collage, espically Final Year Projects. I think thats the most vital thing in collage, do an FYP you are interested in, because you will put more time into it if you are into the project, and then you will get a better result, but more importantly when it come's to an interview you will be enthusiastic about it (hopefully!) and thats what employers what to see, someone who understands and is enthuastic about the field they want to work in.

yea that sounds logical enough. i am in 4th yr next year, and i am interested in web development, software engineering and SQL (databses), but i cant really think i anything that is "different" to what has been done before, leaves me with a though choice......do something that has been done before...ie nothing unusual there....or do something relating to stuff such as java etc, which i dont really like, and just dont do so well....

i am hopeless when it comes to these things.....

Maybe you should look at what companies there are in the city you'd like to work in ... look at what they do and base your project on what technology etc that they do? Cynical I know but it could make a difference.

You could even go as far as approaching a company and explaing to them that you are doing your FYP and asking them if there is anything you could do that would be useful to them.

sounds like a good idea and may just work, only thing is, is that i am not too sure whether ot not i even want to gp into the IT industry, i know i know, why the hell am i doing the course in the first place?? but sure hey, whats done is done!

the placement i am on at the mo, is giving me stuff to do that i am interested in, but it is all about conversions and SQL, there is not really a lot to be done combining the two together......bit of a predicament!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Actually, I think its very much worth while working harder for a 1.1

When you're finishing college, especially in IT, there are several thousand people all finishing IT degrees, diplomas etc all at the same time. Companies are flooded with CVs and they will pick & choose who to call for interviews.

Grades are definitely going to be taken into account.

The 1.1 and 2.1 people tend to end up with a selection of jobs to choose from while those of us lower down the evolutionary ladder get whats left.

A year or 2 later it makes no difference, your experience goes a lot further than your marks but you have to get the right 1st job to get the experience you want.

Have a good think about whether IT is what you want to do! A lot of people I work with are trying to get out of it. And don't think if you decide to do some diploma or masters in something else that your degree is wasted as it isn't ... you need a good degree to do a Hdip or Diploma.

Think about what kind of job you'd like to do and take a chance and do it ... your young and have your whole life ahead of you .... have a look through university web sites and see what postgrads they are offerring and talk to people in different jobs.

yea, i know that my degree wouldnt be wasted as such, as i can use it to to a post-grad. i have been looking at all those post-grad sourses, but i am still in the same situation as i was in 6th yr, dont have a clue!

the only thing that is worrying me is my FYP. once that is finished i should be able to decide whats best for me!!

you give good advice!! :)

Thanks! Best of luck with the FYP!

Just talk to loads of people about jobs ... you could always post a thread here asking what other people did after their degree.

Anything is possible!

• Advertisement

yea i might do that...it sounds like a plan!!
    thanks!

Advertisement