Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help on Home Setup

• 19-04-2004 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

I have two PC's and I want to share the broadband connection on one of them with the other. File sharing would also be useful.

PC1=Dell P1.4 with Speedtouch USB modem (Eircon)
    PC2=Dell Optplex G110 (1 GHz and built around early 2001)

Both have Windows Me

I think I need a Wireless Router and a wireless NIC? The house has concrete walls and floors - so signal strength important - having said that the room is directly below the main PC.

If I am right in what I need - I am a bit confused about the config - would 11mbits be ok or do I need 54? Ideally I do not want to lose any broadban connection speed - mainly for web browsing eather than gaming.

Do I need the latest G rather than B type cards?

Finally - the Optplex is a bit old - it has no AGP - just PCI for instance. One site said that the PCI would have to be at least 2.2 -what the hell is that all about?

Thanks for any help - if I have missed a thread or obvious site just point me in the right direction.

Buzz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Penfolds

Buzz,
    I'm in pretty much the same boat as yourself.
    Check out this thread to see the responses I got :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...threadid=154051

The range on both b and g is 100-150 feet indoors so unless you're talking a massive house with walls a foot thick or something, range shouldn't be a problem within the house.

Penfolds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I think I need a Wireless Router and a wireless NIC?

Sorry to state the obvious, but I assume you cant connect them together with a long cable...? If not, then a wireless router/ADSL modem (either 2 separete bits of kit, or one combined) along with a wireless NIC or two will sort you out. If you can put the router/modem near one of the PCs then you can use an ordinary NIC and connect it to a wired port on the router. Then just get a single wireless card for the other machine.

The router/modem will share the BB connection to wireless and wired devices on your network.

I imagine your PCI slots will be fine - the lack of AGP is irelevant.

As for speed, the BB connection is 512Kbs (thats k bits per sec) and the slower 802.11b is 11Mbs (m bits per sec) so it is far more than the BB connection will be! Get the faster g (54mbs) if you need that extra speed between the two machines. (note, the actual speeds of data transfer are considerably less than 54mbs or 11mbs - but both will be considerably more than the BB connection).

There are faster still available, but I dont know what they are like for signal strength and distance etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

BigMoose - Thks - thats good to know - cable is a solution but divorce is expensive nowadays! Good point on the NIC card beside the router - that can be a cable meaning just one wireless NIC - should save a few euro. Will go for the G type at 11mps

Penfolds - thks for the thread but link doesn't work - if you could try it again

Thks
    Buzz

Advertisement