Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool...

• 19-04-2004 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.football365.com/opinion/f365_opinion/story_106865.shtml

This is a very interesting article, and not a point of view I have seen or heard of before.

Does anyone agree?

I do.

edit/

Basically it says that even with 4th Houlliers job may not be safe, in fact it might be in more danger, as a Liverpool in the CL would be more attractive to potential new managers than a Liverpool in the UEFA Cup.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I think Liverpool are going to have to break with tradition of not sacking managers as HooHoo will not walk - listening to him he thinks he is doing a good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Going to put €10 on Daglish as the new manager for the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fair enough comment, but I don't think there's a manager out there who would publically criticise himself.

Imagine it:

Gerard Houllier: "Well, I think I am doing a crap job"
    LFC: "Really? eff off then"

Of course he wants to keep his job, and of course he is going to tell people he is doing a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by irishgeo
    Going to put €10 on Daglish as the new manager for the summer.
    I'd put a tennor on Ranieiri;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think Houllier will definitely go if Liverpool dont get 4th. The club owners will be under enormous pressure from the fans to do so and will have to relent. Houllier wont resign and he has no other club to go to. If Liverpool do get 4th, the Houllier term (or experiment as it is sometimes called) will probably continue for one more season, alas. Liverpool are expected to do better than 4th and up until last year were on a positive trend. Every manager can be forgiven for one blip but a team that has invested as heavily as Liverpool (although note that their salary budget is much less than that of Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea) has to do better and 4th is a minimum standard. As the owners say: it IS crucial

I personally think that the Houllier term shold be ended. It was nice while it lasted, Liverpool won a few trophies, but I dont think he gets the most out of the players and he has not brought in good talent (with some exceptions such as Baros).

-redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

All I can do is agree..

He has had the whole of this season to redeem himself after last seasons disaster and Liverpool are actually worse off.

Its time to say bye bye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yes yes yes

/me kisses the soccer forum like stevie gerrard will kiss the champions cup next year!!

soccer forum is back!!

ahem!

anyway houllier never said he was a good manager, he just says the lads tried hard, blah blah, if we took our chances... blah!

but he never says hes a good manager. no point in lying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Interesting article, there's a lot of truth in it.

4th place or not, there has to be some major changes made this summer - I can't stand another season like last year/this year. Whether that means Houllier goes and/or 10 players that's fine as long as the club gets back to winning ways and making progress again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

Now i have been an ardent liverpool fan since forever, just a couple of years to young to really remember winning the league and such, but last night i was watchin the official history on dvd and goin over the year of the treble and it brought such great memories of the night of the uefa cup win and owens goals against Arsenal,
    and when i turned it off i was majorly depressed cos it looks like even days like that are a long way off, if we went that cazy for the cups imagine the party we could have if we won the league, but it aint goin to happen anytime soon cos we have a manager who hasnt got the balls to bring us forward, he was suppossed to be one of the best talent scouts in Europe yet how many real good-great players has he bought?? - Hyppia-Kirkland-Henchoz- Kewell. Now we all thought Diouf - Cheyroy- le Tallec were going to be world beaters basically because he told us they were and we saw 30 second clips of them on sky scoring class goals but we are amateurs we are allowed make mistakes...think players are better than they are...and unfortunatly Houllier seems to be lookin at the same 30 second clips and deciding to buy on that. He needs to go at the end of the season and i would posibly bring in Ranieri or Dalglish if he would and build slowly but surely. If we are not back within 5 points of 3rd next season it is a disaster, a couple of good buys and we could be there
    This is a realistic team for next season
    Kirkland
    Finnan-Mexes-Hyppia-Carragher(Risse)
    Reid (or another quality winger)-Hamann-Gerrard-Kewell
    Owen-Cisse

not goin to win any leagues but still goin to be an improvment we also need to play players in their proper positions
    so keep prayin he goes and in a couple of years we could be back

hopefully
    rant over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He's an excuse merchant. How long did he run on his theory that liverpool were a good team because a good team never loses twice in a row. That ended and he moved on to other crappy excuses about players and what not. You can see the way they are playing that they dont want him in the job. I honestly cant understand his tactics. hoofing the ball long all the time , even when owen is up there on his own, this is meant to be an educated guy. but giving high balls to a player whos a midget in all but name when theres 6'+ defenders all around him is ridiculous. Its time for him to see what everyone else in the world sees and resigns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Good to be back posting :)

Anyways I think if Pool do get fourth spot ..then Houllier will stay on as manager .. If not Parry may have to go along with Gerrard H.. Its a bad time at the moment as lawro said on footy focus .. "theres too many mediocre players in the liverpool squad at the moment"...

Its more than a new manager they need , its a new team or at he very least some new players in all areas defence, midfield and attack .. hopefully Cisse will be the next Henry in the premiership and help the reds turn it around ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i'm a firm believer that a good team has to be built from the defence up - and houllier achieved that when we won the treble.

but he's gone backwards now, and thats what parry, moores and the rest of the board have to look at!

we need tinkerman, or martin o neill (preferred) mainly because these boys have balls, and martin o neill could get sutton to move his arse, so he can motivate ANYONE.

mon in
    hou out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I think he should go regardless of 4th or not, Liverpool just havent progressed the way they could have after the treble win, they could have used it as a platform to win the league, they didnt. In terms of someone to take over, I dont think Ranieri or O'Neill would be too interested. I think O'Neill is really holding out for the ManU job with the rolling contract on par with fergie. I think Ranieri will stay on with chelsea or move to one of the big italian clubs. I believe he had some interest from Roma, and I think thats his home club. Big club too....

As above, definitly too many mediocre 'squad' players in liverpool, can make excuses about injuries but if the players who afre brought in to replace the injured aren't up for proving themselves it says something about the squad. Good squads are built on competition in the squad, top players play better, at the moment Owen, Stevie, Kewl all know they are garunteed a start as no one is near challenging them in the livepool squad. Theres talk of bringing more french players this summer now, to be honest I think liverpool need to invest in some quality young english players, the way chelsea bought fran lampard and wayne bridge. I know mexes & Cisse are well respected players but they are bought playing in the french league, despite their representation in europe this year, isnt a very strong league imo.

john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Page 511 on Utv teletext is all about liverpool if anyones interested.

I read on teletext a few days ago that he has to raise 30m for summer transfers by selling 7 players. It mentioned Traore:, Heskey, Diouf, Henchoz and three others who I cant remember.

If he was to go I'd like David O Leary to take over, I mentioned his name last year before he took over villa and look at the job he's done there. But I really couldn't see O leary leave Villa for a few seasons yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

liverpool still pull of the odd result here and there against big sides which pleases the blind anfield crowd.

im glad to see all this talk of houllier going etc and glas to see him and liverpool suffer all this abuse. he's one of the worst managers in the league, managing one of the biggest clubs.

he spends money on 1 hit wonders who play impressively against glamourous opposition. his tactics- well can someone please explain what liverpool's formation is, how they're supposed to play?? nobody knows, not even houllier!

his side remind me of schoolboys all chasing the ball wherever it goes. theres a few guys who weave past players with ease and end up getting too confident and greedy and ultimately are swallowed up by their own previous high standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

it doesn't look like he is going according to this story http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3644941.stm
    another £30m for him. i cant believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

If They beat United and then end up taking 4th spot then he'll more than likely be there next season ... Maybe he can turn it around but its a big ask , especially with what seems like the majority of fans wanting him out ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I saw the "30 million warchest" story.

My god they must be blind in the liverpool boardroom. All I can say is that it might be a carrot for him to get 4th place but I'm telling you, as soon as he spends the first penny of that 30 million that will be him at anfield for anouther 2 years at least because with out champions league, liverpool won't have that sort of money for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think he is definitely gone in the summer. As for raising 30m by selling those players listed above, unless Stephen Gerard and Michael Owen are two of the players that could not be rememebered, there is no way they would get 30m in for that lot. I think he is awful manager, and I do not think it is coincidence that not one of his attacking players has had a good season in a couple of years. To be honest I think Michael Owen should be applauded for his loyalty for hanging around. He could have gone to a European club and won championships by now. I don't remember ever hearing the Kop boo their own players off the pitch before. That says it all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement