Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco837 ADSL router

Options
  • 19-04-2004 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hi, (I guess this will get better responses here than in broadband)

I'm looking at picking up a proper router to replace my SMC adsl one and the linux box I have doing routing.

Dabs sell the cisco837 with a built in ADSL Wan port for just shy of €500, which is pretty good. Has anyone used this router? It says that it runs Cisco IOS, so I'm assuming it does stateful firewalling, destination and source nat and Qos. Does it need anything else to work with a bogstandard eircom DSL line?

Anyone have any opinions on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Obo

I'm using one of these on one side of a site-to-site vpn and it seems to work fine. I have a PIX on the inside doing nat, vpn connections, firewalling etc., but I did set up the router to handle it all at first just to see how it did. From the limited time I had it setup like that it seemed to work okay, although I didn't play around with it too long like that.
    I don't use QoS on it, so I can't say how it handles it.

Plugs straight into the wall socket and will connect straight away once you're setup on an eircom line.
    I think it was running 12.2(13) out of the box btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

thanks for that.

I'll see if the boss will stretch to it.

Seeing that I have your attention...

You can pull the ADSL WAN card and plug in something else in due course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Obo

No, it's not modular like the 1701 which is what I have on the other end.

This is what the back's like.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008010e5ad.html#10385

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Brilliant. Lots there for me to work with.

thanks for your help.

Advertisement