Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth it?

Options
  • 19-04-2004 5:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

quickquestion

is it worth trying to overclock my P4 2.4 Ghz chip or will i just be better off buying new memory (updrade to 512 ram)

i have a few older pc's lying around the place so maybe i can experiment and roast my turkey while im at it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Well, I don't see what one has to do with the other :)

256 is probably enough for most applications.
    If you're running out of memory, by all means expand to 512.
    A machine that constantly swaps to disk is slow as hell no matter what components you pack into it.

As far as the chip is concerned - yes definitely.
    Most 2.4 Ghz Northwoods (C-version, 800 Mhz FSB with Hyperthreading) clock over 3 Ghz, and a lot of people have them clocked at 3.4-3.5 Ghz.

It's pretty much an instant win, instead of shelling out 440 euro for a new 3.4 Ghz chip, all you need to do is open the BIOS and change a few options. And make sure it's adequately cooled. To make matters easier, the Intel cooler is enough for overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Overclock? Absolutely! From everything I've read the 2.4GHz P4 is a sweet overclocker. The usual "watch your temps" apply though.

Try this for a bit of inspiration.

Do you know what kind of memory do you have

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

cheers going to have to upgrade i think soon

my pc is slowing down alot lately
    im going to invest in a new hard drive 80G or maybe more during the summer, ill def look into more ram and the over clocking just worried ill **** it up as im not familar but i can look back at this board and im sure it will help me out. :)

on a side not if i install a new HD can i back up my files on it and then do a clean install on the other HD that came with the computer, would like to have 2 drives one for windows the other 50/50 for media/music and linux!

or do i have to backup all my files on dvd disks(at the mo my contents are up to almost 70G :( )

edit: im in college now but but as far as i know its a P2.39Ghz chip and i have 256 MB RAM
    ill get more info/specs posted once i get home to be more percise

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

I know where you're coming from. I'd considered o/cing for years, but never bothered till now. It's really easy, good fun and you learn lots about your rig. If your machine is slowing down, it may just need some cleaning up. What OS are you running and what kinds of apps are you running on it?

Re the hard disk. Yep, if you slap another one in you can back your files up onto that with no fear of deleting them while reinstalling the OS. You'll more than likely notice a speed improvement on booting etc after a reinstall.

cheers again that was a mighty link u posted!!

• Advertisement

ok looked through my hardware properties and the above is correct but how do i get more info on it (like finding out is my chip a P4 a/b/c and what fsb is it?)

kinda of a newbie here to the more advanced hardware lingos eg what is a fsb?
    where can i check my temps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

you can check what fsb its running at in the bios, and also you should be able to see your system temps there also

a piece of software like sisoftware or cpu-z should also give ya the fsb
    and motherboard monitor the temps

data

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

P4 2.4 +Zalman = 3.2

Get good ram though and defo get more than 256mb, a gig is a good round figure!

Good Luck

sean

ok im hearing loads of good stuff about the P2.4
    some people can get it up to 3.6Ghz :eek:
    with proper cooling of course however those chips are P2.4"C" i cant see any C next to mine so whats the deal do i have it or not

chip

bad news my mother board isnt suited to overclock anyway around this at all!
    MB is a D845EPT2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

thats a b chip as it has a 133mhz fsb if it was a c chip it would have a 200mhz b, it would still overclock if you had a capable motherboard but just not as well as the c chip typically

data

Advertisement