Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM4 Defence

• 19-04-2004 6:46pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

I can't figure out how to stop my defence from being so brutal. Normally when I play CM4 my defences are automatically really solid, this current game i'm playing though, it's the opposite.

My defenders stats are all pretty good; decent pace/acceleration, tackling, positioning, heading, marking, anticipation, decisions, team-work, off the ball, strength and so on. Yet they still continually do the most stupid stuff. Their ability to track players runs seems non-existant, they commit themselves in stupid situations, they keep pushing up too far up the pitch despite my efforts to convince them to stay back etc.

I can't afford any new defenders, and i'm not sure that buying new ones would make a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

What are your in game instructions for them, pressing, holding etc?

Also, do you have the game patched? There was a fix in one of the patches to stop the defenders making stupid moves forward and leaving attackers through (actually I can't remember if that was a patch for CM4 or 03/04).

What formation are you playing and who are your defenders? Maybe a defensive central midfielder would help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Well my defence is pretty solid (playing with Matt Dawson and Glen Loovens) and my settings are:

I play a flat back four.

Closing Down: Entire back line standing off, two central midfielders on close down. Rest on team.

Tackling: Centre mid and defenders on Hard, rest on team

Marking is set to team: (which is zonal)

Mentality: Central def are Ultra, central mid are Defensive and full backs on normal.

Forward runs : set to normal for defenders and central mid.

BAsically this means you have a defence that tracks well, isn't caught too easily and can cope with being run at (as the defence backing off will allow the midfielders to get back).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm in my 4th season with Sheffield Wednesday, got promoted to the premiership in 2 straight seasons... only once I got promoted did I have problems.

Used the 3-4-1-2 formation last season which was pretty dodgy but I scored a good few goals, this season i've alternated between a 4-1-3(MC)-2 and a standard 4-4-2.

My defenders aren't anyone you've heard of, they are generally pretty young (LB is 17, CBs are 21 and 24, RB is 21, got a 32 year old Henchoz as backup).

My midfield consists of Makelele, Fabregas, Partridge and a rotation, got 3 other DM's (Oliseh, Legwinski, Kila), so it's pretty defensive minded.

My defenders are set to stand off while my centre mids always close down, fullbacks normal mentality, centrals defensive. The team zonal marks, bar my CBs who are man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I have to say I've found myself in the same situation as well kaids in 03-04.

for quality CB's to get a four when you ****ing win handy is a disrace. .

have you tried the preset option for CB's?

Advertisement