Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding the authorities

Options
  • 19-04-2004 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I was wondering, if I were to set up a radio station, what do you think would be the best way to avoid getting found?

Putting a transmitter up in the mountains would be too inconvienient.

The authorities here dont really go after pirates much though, as long as they aren't interfering with other stations.

Do you think I would be okay just broadcasting from my house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

dude you're saying this on a message board for the only radio station in this country that's actually worth its salt. they're applying for eine nouveau licensio, and it's probably not the best idea to ask how to set up a pirate when they're going legal.

if you're speaking from an irish POV, then yeah the broadcasting folks (comreg) do go after people, because in their eyes as long as there are pirates, however obscure and uncatered for in mainstream radio, they're taking the big boys' business. Cmon, like last year Freedom fm, Hotfm, Sun80s, &Kiss fm (&probably more, but i can't think right now) got shut down in those raids. they confiscate your equipment!!

but if you're going for it good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ozone6280

ask your question on radiowaves.fm in the message board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Steve Conway

NEVER a good idea to broadcast from your house . . . you can end up with the station being raided while you're out, and your Mum / girlfriend / wife etc being taken to court, as has happened to at least 2 people I know in the past few years!

So then as well as being prosecuted, you get nagged to death also . . .

My advice to you would be to go seek out one of the licenced community stations such as NEAR or tallaght FM, where you could get your own show. Legal, much safer, and you'd have supportive people around you.

Tallaght FM are actually advertising for presenters etc at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

if you want to avoid the long arm of the law then simply don't broadcast. if you broadcast a signal that goes beyond the limits of your garden wall they'll find you no matter what. they have their spies.

someone already suggested it, but if you want a radio gig then apply to tallagh or anna livia or another community station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

Anna Livia...
    some on it's not that easy...
    and it's definatly not community...

My Two Cents

• Advertisement
Advertisement