Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Montpellier, France

• 19-04-2004 8:30pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm going there for a month in the summer. Does anyone know anything about it? Nightlife and the likes? And what's this about the legal drinking age in France having gone up to 18?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Beautiful city, but an absolute nightmare to drive in due to all the one way streets. Breakfast or a drink in one of the cafés on the Place de la Comedie is an absolute must - a great chance to watch the world and his wife go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Lovely City - being about 7kms from the beach and a student town makes this place buzz all year round. In comparison to other cities(Nice, Toulouse, Marseille) in France it has a real youthful vibe. Loads of outdoor cafe bars and restaurants.

Luas "style" tram system which is just about 4 years old which runs trough the
    "centre ville" and to suburbs.

Good Irish Pub - forget the name though.

What you will notice about this town is due to the weather and the "low" cost of
    living here (relative to Paris or Nice). It is the down and out capital of France and
    if not Europe (IMO). They are on every street corner. (no kidding)

Also, if you get bored just hop on a train to Barca (~3hr on train). Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

P.S

The people in this region of France just rock..friendliest region of France by a long
    shot.l

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by jetsonx
    P.S

The people in this region of France just rock..friendliest region of France by a long
    shot.l

I have to agree there, spent some time in small town called Le Lattes a few miles from Montpellier and the people there are soooooooooooooooo friendly..

Its a must for a nice quiet relaxing break..

Tox

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Originally posted by Faith
    And what's this about the legal drinking age in France having gone up to 18?

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure that the legal age hasn't gone up because you've always needed to be 18 to drink in bars.

The price of fags are going up though :)

[hijack]

Bumped this thread up for the other poster who's looking for info on Montpellier. Hmm, several threads about the same town in France. It's called the Ryanair effect I suppose:p

[/hijack]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

****, I didn't realise I'd posted here about going before! I'm really sorry! But thanks for your help everyone. I'll be in a school in the mornings just off the Place de la Comedie, so I can check out the cafe's :D

Sorry again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

Originally posted by Ponster
    Hmmm, I'm pretty sure that the legal age hasn't gone up because you've always needed to be 18 to drink in bars.

I'm not so sure about that. I keep meaning to read that sign they always have up in cafes about legal drinking age, but afaik, you can drink from sixteen in bars, but they won't serve you anything stronger than 12/13% until you're 18. I remember drinking beers in bars and buying bottles of wine in the supermarkets when I was on a French exchange when I was 16.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Originally posted by drane2
    I remember drinking beers in bars and buying bottles of wine in the supermarkets when I was on a French exchange when I was 16.

And I remember doing the same thing in Ireland :)

In France you needed to be 21 to buy drink in a bar up until 1981. They changed the law by dropping the age to 18 which it still is today. But just like rural Ireland, rural France will probably serve you a beer at 16/17 depending on how you're going to behave afterwards/who you're with/ how old you look.... :)

It's true that supermarket control is a little lax when it comes to underage drinking but it really isn't that mush as a problem as the country doesn't have much of a 'drinking culture'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

Originally posted by Ponster
    And I remember doing the same thing in Ireland :)

In France you needed to be 21 to buy drink in a bar up until 1981. They changed the law by dropping the age to 18 which it still is today. But just like rural Ireland, rural France will probably serve you a beer at 16/17 depending on how you're going to behave afterwards/who you're with/ how old you look.... :)

It's true that supermarket control is a little lax when it comes to underage drinking but it really isn't that mush as a problem as the country doesn't have much of a 'drinking culture'.

http://tardis.redbrick.dcu.ie/2267/www.legifrance.gouv.fr

"In bars and all shops or public places, it is forbidden to sell or to offer to minors under 16 alcoholic drinks either to consume or to take away"

There's some other stuff around about classification of drinks in France. Basically there's five categories. The first two are non-alcoholic drinks like fruit juice etc.. and slightly alcoholic drinks like beer and cider. Those two can be served to people aged sixteen or seventeen, but thr rest (wine, spirits etc..) can't.

Advertisement