Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird hard disk sound

Options
  • 19-04-2004 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

One of my hard disks is making a weird sound when i boot up the pc and also some times when i just get logged into windows. I'm pretty sure it only really does it when its cold.
    It kind of sound like something isn't spinning or starting to sping or something, bit like a cd player looking for a disc when you remove it(ps1 does it to when swapping discs with lid open so you can play your games:ninja: )
    hope that kinds of gives you an idea.
    dont mind if its the 60gig going, if its my 80gig then i'll be a little p****d of if it dies before i copy all my stuff to another disk.

jozi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Could be the heads reading bad sectors on the disk. In other words, your drive is fuped :(

Same happened to me on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Does it take long for it to go?

better find out which drive it is of the 2 and start backing up stuff!

jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by jozi
    Does it take long for it to go?

better find out which drive it is of the 2 and start backing up stuff!

jozi

How longs a piece of string.

If you,re a betting man what odds do you give me on it being an IBM drive.

i'd bet a fair bit, maxtor

jozi

i'd bet a fair bit, maxtor

jozi

It must be just me and IBM drives so. :mad:

If you go to the maxtor website you can download a programme called maxblast that will do diagnostic checks on the drive for you. One of the options is Factory recertification and if you run that on it and it passes chances are the drive is ok.

Highly unlikely I grant you considering the sympthoms but worth a try before spending the hard earned on a replacement.

Good Luck

• Advertisement

Ok I got the program, read read me file and all (thats a first for me)!

Can anyone verify if i loos all data on my hd when i run these tests?

Also i dont have a floppy drive, will making a boot disc with nero work the same?

jozi

Ok I got the program, read read me file and all (thats a first for me)!

Can anyone verify if i loos all data on my hd when i run these tests?

Just running the diagnostic checks will not cause data loss. The low level format utility in the programme obviously will. Just run the quick test first and if it passes that try teh factory recertification and all your data will be safe.

Also i dont have a floppy drive, will making a boot disc with nero work the same?

jozi [/B]

Yes a bootable cd with the software on it will work fine.

Good Luck again

Advertisement