Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Funniest goal ever?

• 19-04-2004 11:09pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone happen to see (highlights of) the Schalke 04-Borussia Dortmund match this weekend, or better yet, has anyone got a video clip of the goal where
    Leverkusen's keeper, Butt, takes a penalty, scores it, and jogs about taking high-fives and hugs from his team-mates for a couple of minutes, and as he's jogging back to his own goal, Schalke kick off and lob the ball over the back of his head into the net from the half-way line
    ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by pickarooney
    Did anyone happen to see (highlights of) the Schalke 04-Borussia Dortmund match this weekend, or better yet, has anyone got a video clip of the goal where
    Leverkusen's keeper, Butt, takes a penalty, scores it, and jogs about taking high-fives and hugs from his team-mates for a couple of minutes, and as he's jogging back to his own goal, Schalke kick off and lob the ball over the back of his head into the net from the half-way line
    ?

Funny I admit. But as a Spurs fan, nowhere as funny as...

NAYIM FROM THE HALFWAY LINE!!!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Don't know if this is funny or scary but....

Any of Julian Dicks' goals for West Ham!

You remember that freaky 6 month or so period where he was like the best left back the world had ever seen!? Won everything in defence, went galloping down the left, unleashed shots from like 40 yards and they went in!? I was freaking out!!!!!!

Now hes back where he belongs on the bench for some non-league team though :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Funny I admit. But as a Spurs fan, nowhere as funny as...

NAYIM FROM THE HALFWAY LINE!!!!!

:D
    As an Arsenal fan... any of the 54 goals a certain team have conceded this season, and any of the ones that they concede next sunday ;)

There was a hilarious goal in the premiership earlier this season, I think it involved Birmingham and someone else, don't really remember any specifics. The scorer hit a REALLY weak shot at the edge of the box, it slowly rolled through a ruck of players to the keeper, who expecting someone to deflect it, took a sort of slide tackle-dive in the general direction of the ball and let it roll slowly past him and over the line. Screamer :)

Actually another really funny goal in the prem more recently again involving Birmingham (in 3-5? loss against Boro) - Matthew Upson had the ball under complete control, slipped, then fell all over the ball in a hilarious fashion gifting Boro a goal. I laughed so much watching it.

Maradona's hand of god goal is pretty funny too, for different reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

BBC had a great one during the FA Cup 2nd round in '02-'03. Some non-league defender had an age to clear the ball, but ended up knocking it up into his own top-corner. They replayed it the whole weekend - very funny. Can't remember who it was though. Tiverton, or somebody like that.

Originally posted by kaids
    As an Arsenal fan... any of the 54 goals a certain team have conceded this season, and any of the ones that they concede next sunday ;)

Touché.

Actually, if I wasn't a Spurs fan I'd find many of those goals hilarious, especially the multitude The Ginger Pele has been responsible for...

• Advertisement

haha, he scored a couple of OG's last season didn't he? I remember laughing my ass off at them, "hahahah that Doherty **** scored another OG", and then he was called up for Ireland :dunno:

and I have to admit, now that it is a distant memory... the Nayim goal really was/is ****ing hilarious. poor old david seaman :)

and I have to admit, now that it is a distant memory... the Nayim goal really was/is ****ing hilarious. poor old david seaman :)

I think its why I laughed so much during the world cup, you'd think he'd have learned...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

As an Arsenal fan....

You will have to admit that Nayim (ex spurs player by then ISTR) from the half way line over a dozing goalkeeper was a classic.

Have Arsenal ever been so close to a European title, before or since or ever ?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The big question must be, if Schalke 04 were playing Borussia Dortmund, what was Bayer Leverkusen's keeper doing on the pitch???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Originally posted by Muck
    You will have to admit that Nayim (ex spurs player by then ISTR) from the half way line over a dozing goalkeeper was a classic.

M

Dammit I remember that night vividally !!! I was in the Lounge in the Cat & Cage in Drumcondra (a United Stronghold), there was a united match showing in the bar. And the memory of having to walk thru that bar afterwards in my Gooners Jersey with all the united heads giving me a ribbing lives with me to this day.

But a short time after that I had the pleasure of seeing Blackburn win the League in the same pub :)

As for funny goal didn't Walker have one for Leicester this season ?

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Actually another really funny goal in the prem more recently again involving Birmingham (in 3-5? loss against Boro) - Matthew Upson had the ball under complete control, slipped, then fell all over the ball in a hilarious fashion gifting Boro a goal. I laughed so much watching it.

That was quality TV :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

an old one but always a classic i think

think it was crosby for forrest against man citty heading the ball out of dibbles hand and into the back of the net.

more clever than funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

blackburn vs liverpool about 5 or 6 years ago...

stan collymore hits a shot from pretty far out.... easy enough to gather from tim flowers... the ball rolls... hits tim's divit he made for kick outs.. flips up over his head and into the back of the net... a classic blooper goal....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Ronnie Whelan's OG from the opponents half!

I cannot remember who liverpool were playing but Grobbalear was in goal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Enckleman last season from the throw in??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Grobbalear was in goal!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: enough said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    The big question must be, if Schalke 04 were playing Borussia Dortmund, what was Bayer Leverkusen's keeper doing on the pitch???
    Thats a very good question.

Anyway, last season Villa -v- Birmingham (I think). Staunton threw the ball back to his keeper, he tried to get control of it but barely touched it and it went into the back of the net.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

M

Considering we won the same competition the year before, yes.

I also remember a 3-3 draw beween Wimbledon and Middlesborough back in 1996 or 1997. Wimbledon scored 2 own goals, and gave away a penalty. One of the own goals was spectacular though - the defender attempting to clear a cross to the near-post managed to scissor-kick it into his own top corner instead. More astonishing, than hilarious.

M
    I admitted it already :)

Arsenal already won the Cup Winners Cup against Parma (SMITHY!!!) the season beforehand, had they beaten Zaragoza they would have been the only team to ever win it back to back. arghh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Funniest Goal?

What about Diego Forlan's against Liverpool?....the one where Dudek let it through his legs, and the predator that is Diego Forlan pounced.

Or for pure longevity, and humourous reaction more than anything ( and of course topicality ), what about Diego Maradona's "Hand of God" against England.

• Advertisement

Well if we're mentioning England, what about...

SAN MARINO!!!

Wasn't that the fastest goal in international football at one stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

The one Massimo Taibi let in for united against Southampton
    another one from a few years back, Shay Given throws the ball on the ground to kick it, Dion Dublin runs onto the pitch from behind the goal, takes the ball and sticks it in the net. Given had forgotten he was there. Finally the goal Packie Bonner threw into the net against Holland in Usa '94. It was not funny at the time, but ten years on I can almost laugh at it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Oh yeah, San Marino...class...never forget rolling around the floor that evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    blackburn vs liverpool about 5 or 6 years ago...

stan collymore hits a shot from pretty far out.... easy enough to gather from tim flowers... the ball rolls... hits tim's divit he made for kick outs.. flips up over his head and into the back of the net... a classic blooper goal....

Yeah, that was fantastic. Tim down on his hunkers, ball rolling towards him slowly, GOAL! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

The funniest was Ronald Koeman's against England, when he should have been sent off and then get a second chance at the free kick. Brian Moore (I'm almost certain) saying "He's gonna flick one, he's gonna flick one" and Koemans doing exactly that into the top corner. All the funnier after the Graham Taylor documentary came out and you saw Taylor going up to the linesman saying "Your colleague just cost me my job"

Funniest non goal was Dundee United versus Partick Thistle years ago. Paddy Connolly hit the ball into the back of the net in the middle of a goalmouth scramble. The ball bounced back out and in disgust, a Thistle defender picked the ball up and kicked it from his hands. The players all turned to go back up the park for kick off, and the referee waved play on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

There's a clip around of Diego Maradona playing in an Argentine league match before he moved to Europe. He kicked off, then moved the ball from his right foot to his left and chipped into the goal without moving. Phenomenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Arsenal already won the Cup Winners Cup against Parma (SMITHY!!!) the season beforehand, had they beaten Zaragoza they would have been the only team to ever win it back to back. arghh :(

Ahhhh /me bad bad bad.

They are equal (in overall European terms) to Aberdeen then...... 1 cup winners cup each .

M

Without wanting to drag the thread off topic, they won the magnificent Fairs Cup in 1970 too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

funniest goal ever- the 'hand of god' goal from maradona against england.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Keanes last minute strike against Germany in 2002 - the goal itself was fantastic but it was funny the way the germans were celebrating thinking they'd won the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

A goal score in the Bundesliga last year when a freekick was deflected spun into the air hit the goal and the head ( he falls down ) and goes in . Soccer AM have showed it a couple of times .

Without wanting to drag the thread off topic, they won the magnificent Fairs Cup in 1970 too :p

Call it the uefa cup , as a newcastle fan people will give ur team much more credit that way .

Or back about seven years ago shelbourne were playing ??? . A through ball is played to the stiker but is overhit to the defender , the defender run's 10 yards with the ball then trys to put it out for a corner but ends up being a stunning strike into the top corner from 30 yards .

The greatest ever Eircom league goal i say .

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The funniest? One game I saw from Japan... I'm not sure who the sides were but it was a hilarious goal.

A player got injured on one of the teams and the ball was kicked out of play. They tried to give the ball back but the ball ended up in the net. Then the team that scored tried to let the other team score so there would be fair play. But there was two Russians on their team that didn't understand and tackled them and wouldn't let them score. :D

It was a while ago though. :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Oh another one, Pat Jennings versus United in the Charity Shield?? (Not sure). It was some goal! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

A funny goal was casarages goal for cfc against Liverpool. The goal itself was nothing special but the sight of the defender (babb i think?) sliding to clear it and crahing into the post , one leg either side, was brilliant!!!!

T'was Babb I believe.

Advertisement