Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need advice on building a pc

• 20-04-2004 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

Its mostly for making music
    thats why i posted here(yua can move it somewhere if ya like)

Anyone done somethin like this before,know where i can get any advise?

What would be the best home studio?
    Soundcard,software n stuff?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭m0rt

You'll find loads of great advice over at the Cakewalk forums - particularly in the Gear forum for making music on a PC.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Forum/

I have everything running smoothly with the following setup:

Intel P4 3ghz processor
    MSI NEO2 FISR Motherboard
    1gb Kingston DDR 3200 Ram
    Maxtor 120gb 7200 Hard Drive with 8MB Cache
    M-Audio Delta 66 Sound Card
    Cakewalk Sonar 3 Producer
    Various softsynths and plugin effects

Sonar is a truly amazing program.

Let me know if you need any more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

A good pair of monitor speakers would be on my list,
    they dont have to cost the earth either, you can pick up a decent pair around the 150euro mark

some people swear by those creative jobs, personaly I dont trust speakers that weigh less than a kilo:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭m0rt

A good pair of monitor speakers would be on my list

Couldn't agree more!

I got my pair of Behringer Truths from Digital Village and am very happy with them for the price.

My dream monitors would be the Mackie 824s but they cost about a grand sterling. I think the Behringers worked out at just over €400 including shipping (heavy ba$tards due to the build in amps).

They are crisp, loud as you want and you hear everything. I've gotten used to them now but i remember when I first plugged them in and listened to some old CDs - I was hearing things in the music I didn't even know were there :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Rogers DB101's are good for nearfield monitoring (go into BT2 in grafton street if you want to hear them - they use them for PA), i've also found the Wharfedale Valdus series to be excellent for those on a budget. I'd stay away from any 'computer' speakers.

EDIT: How could i forget? the JBL Control 1 and Control 5 are not to be sneezed at. the control 1's are quite inexpensive considering the superb quality from them. The control 5's are a bit more pricey but if you've got the cash then they're worth it.

Another sound card for your list might be one of the Yamaha DSP Factory cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

the best production forum on the net is over on www.dogsonacid.com its a drum and bass site but the dogs are scarily well informed about hardware software and machine specs.... there is nothing that you need to know that you wont find with a search on the production forum there [the production forum is "the grid" by the way] drum and bass is the hardest music to engineer beacuse of the all the frequency ranges in it and a surprising number of really big names [in drum and bass hip hop breaks and downtempo as well as the odd minimal techno head] post and answer [and ask!] questions there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Thanks people,any recommendations on where to buy stuff from?
    Cases etc
    And good advise on how to build?
    This is my first time at havin a go
    Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Athlons are quite a bit better for the type of number crunching digital audio involves, you may want to consider it as an option against a P4. The only downside is the heat output and the level of noise you may generate keeping it cool (there are are silent/quiet cooling options out there though).
    Get plenty of HDD space, with a dedicated drive for audio if possible. Raid0 is a great addition to a DAW.
    Ditto for ram if you plan to do anything more than mix loops. I'd go for 1Gb minimum.
    Wireless Kbds/mice are also a good idea too since you're likely to have a lot of cables from your audio side anyway and it's handy to be able to thrown them out of the way when you want to get to work on your Midi Kbd.

Otherwise I'd agree with all the above. Sonar's superb, the delta's sound great and have low latency etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Even a dual-processor machine might do the job depending on how well your sound-application load balances, the MB's can be a bit pricey but they tend to have RAID0/1 on them as well so it's not a bad bargain.

I'd really recommend having a dedicated RAID volume for your music. Shove in an ordinary drive C: on your primary master, maybe a DVD-RW on your secondary master and install a separate RAID PCI card. It'll mean that your RAID array should perform just a wee bit better.

Advertisement