Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gatso Vans

Options
  • 20-04-2004 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

Anyone know what colour, reg's or type the 2 Gatso vans are in Ireland ??

Have one of those bad feelings in my waters....................

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

Ok there are six in ireland but only two operating in Dublin

one is a 97 D Green Ford Transit...... anyone know the other one ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

green one sitting on N4 @ liffey valley at 7 this morning [shooting fish in a barrell].

white one was parked on N4 @ woodies snapping all the speeders travelling in rush hour traffic last week.

well call me Nemo !!!!!!!!!!!!!

was doing 45mph and dropping.... just wait and see i guess...................

busted?
    where - on the N4?

just at the N4 flyover to the shopping centre............... westbound ...............

pain in the whats its !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm only hoping 45mph on my car really means 40 mph cause some dodgy german calibrated the speedo incorrectly.......... here's hoping !!!!!!!!!!!!!

the whole road was flying along but i am an unlucky bastard no doubt my car was sticking out like a sore thumb !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is it a Garda PR day or something and there out to get quotas...... saw a load of garda jeeps in bushes along the N6 westbound.............aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

both the green one and white one can be found quite happily snapping away on Saturdays and Sundays on the Navan road and Navan road Dual carriageway - especially on days of GAA matches. The government must make a fortune on those days. :rolleyes:

JSPEED.net
    Site Admin
    **I just paid 484 euro on Car Tax, how refreshing, I look forward to the pothole repairs.**

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Another place I've seen the vans is parked in the hard shoulder on the N4 from Kilcock to Enfield (50 mph limit, single carriageway)

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Saw one parked as you come into Littleton on the Dublin-Cork road... just where the road changes from a 60 to a 30 zone....

Another one parked just before Newlands Cross on several occasions, on the Dublin-Naas side of the road...

One in Littleton was blue as far as I remember..

On this note i was coming from Cavan to Dublin on Saturday and in Virginia, a squad car pulled out in front of me. He drove on (towards dublin) at about 70mph. I held off for a bit and when he was about a mile or so ahead I followed at a similar speed.
    Drove on for a good bit (he was still doing 70+) until I lost him on the twisty stretches before Carnaross.
    As i approached Carnaross (the outskirts of which have an extemely inappropriate limit) I knew better than to speed there. Turned the bend into the village and there he was, parked at the side of the road preparing for speed checks
    prick!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

for what its worth there was one operating recently on the limerick to shannon dual carriage way , it is white in colour , i'm not quite sure what the reg was , but when i get it , i'll post it here if i'm allowed

• Advertisement

what is the accuracy of these bloody yokes and how far behind are they on notifying people........they have them.

Heard on the radio they are months behind and the whole thing is a mess.

Some stories going around that people got speeding points notification on a handwritten form with no pic !!!!!!! Surley thats not true !

Madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

slightly off topic but anyway, if you look at todays irish independant there's a whole load of articles about speeding. one of them has a big picture taken on what appears to be the stillorgan dual carriageway, you can clearly read the speed of the portable laser gun, a staggering 16mph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

There does be a white transit parked right outside DCU on the ballymun road during morning rush hour. Limit there is 30. They must make millions...:mad:

I reckon that because McCreevey won't finance projects that don't benefit his friends, McDowell has instructed the gardai to increase the amount of speedchecks so that they can afford all the guns that the GRA are demanding, in time for the May Day protests and the bush visit.
    It's not cheap to physically assault the public and then hold meaningless internal whitewashes these days either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

not much of a delay anymore on getting your ticket - 2weeks in fact - my missus was done for 33mph on the navan road 2 months ago, we were going to protest, but the risk of 4 points if we failed put her off. The very same night her car was "clocked" , it was broken into. Very unlucky day for her.

These vans never have anyone inside them, they are parked up and abandoned (probably keys in the ignition !) , no garda time required. I'd love to see one get robbed though - wonder how the camera would work if the van taking the pictures isn't stationary , but going 70 mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

When these vans were first put into service they paid for themselves in a couple of months (including all the equipment costs). They're a great little earner.
    you can clearly read the speed of the portable laser gun, a staggering 16mph

If I remember correctly a guy in the UK was clocked doing over 400 miles per hour in a garage courtesy car. I'd love to have seen the look on his face when the garage gave him the picture. I think he still had to go to court to contest the erroneous reading.

wasn't it on top gear that they tried to find out what car could outrun a fixed speedcamera.......... a MITSUBISHI EVO 7 done it if i remember correctly?

great stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

Originally posted by Fudger
    wasn't it on top gear that they tried to find out what car could outrun a fixed speedcamera.......... a MITSUBISHI EVO 7 done it if i remember correctly?

great stuff

not sure of the car but they were doing in or around 170mph and the camera didn't go off

I remember how a tractor in the Uk got clocked diong something like 130mph

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I taught this was a gatso when I first seen it, but not that sure to be honest, its positioned exactly how a gatso would be....

gatso.jpg

This pic I took last year on the n2, gatso on the left off in the distance, garda with their hairdryers on the right of the pic!

gatso.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I don't think the first van is a Gatso ando. First of all it's parked crooked - IME Gatsos are usually parked dead straight. Crooked parking suggests that it's just a normal van that has broken down and been pushed to the side or abandoned etc. Also, with Gatso's isn't there always a clear piece of glass in the back window for the camera to look through - not present in that van.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The Green one is a 97 D, the white one is a 99 D

If they are unmanned, wouldn't be funny to go up to the rear window and cover the hole with a sticker so they coudn't get anyone. Like to see the look on their faces:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Actually it was a TVR Tuscan that beat the camera- 171mph

Have a look and see

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/prog1/speedcam.shtml

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

From sunday business post
    [about time someone said it!]

By Sean Mac Carthaigh, Political Correspondent

A senior Fianna Fail TD has launched a stinging attack on the way penalty points are being imposed.

Eoin Ryan claims that gardai are preying on motor ists along safe stretches of road while genuinely dangerous driving goes unpunished.

The comments by the head of the Oireachtas Committee on Transport reflect growing evidence that the system has failed in its aim to reduce road deaths. Many now feel that penalty points have no effect other than to generate income and punish motorists.

So far this year, 110 people have died on roads in the Republic, compared with 85 deaths this time last year.

Ryan has summoned senior officials from the Department of Justice, Department of Transport and the National Roads Authority (NRA) before his committee this Wednesday.

"We are going to be asking them what exactly is going on," Ryan said. "This is a matter of life and death.

"Any detection that I can see seems to be happening on our motorways. Well, accidents are not happening on motorways, they are happening on secondary roads. How many speed guns are being used on secondary roads? There aren't any. They are out on the Stillorgan dual carriageway or up on the Belfield bridge."

The latest statistics from the NRA show that just 3 per cent of fatal accidents happen on dual carriageways or motorways. They also reveal that in 80 per cent of two-car accidents, excessive speed is not a factor.

This indicates that the overwhelming focus on speed in the penalty points system may represent a massive waste of resources.

Originally posted by bop1977
    From sunday business post
    [about time someone said it!]

This is also being discussed here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Can some one explain the legality of the parking situation with these vans, in picture 2 above the van looks like its half on the grass verge and half in the bus lane, surely this is illegally parked and if the evidence is obtained by the gardai breaking the law and cant hold up in court?

In the same respect to the gardai speeding during the course of their duties, Im sure the gardai can park arseways whilst protecting & serving!

Anyway, how would you know/prove that they parked illegally when the only proof you will have is that you were speeding?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Advertisement