Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Park is now a non smoking facality !

• 20-04-2004 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

New GAA ban: you can't be a smoker at Croker
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1166433
    GAA fans who rely on a cigarette at Croke Park to steady their jangling nerves will soon have to find an alternative means of calming themselves as the no-smoking ban broadens its horizons.
    All of Croke Park is to become a no-smoking area with immediate effect and it is almost certain that the ban will be extended to other stadiums at a future date.
    The ban is expected to apply to all areas of Croke Park, including Hill 16, even though that will remain an uncovered terrace for the foreseeable future.
    And despite the fact that fans seated at the front of the Hogan and Cusack Stands and the Canal End are not fully protected by a roof, the ban will apply in those areas, too.
    "We can't differentiate between the front and the back of stands," GAA president Sean Kelly said. "We feel that in the current climate a no-smoking policy is appropriate and we have no doubt that our patrons will accept it.
    "People are becoming used to a smoke-free environment, so we don't think it's fair that somebody sitting in a seat on the stand should be subjected to other people's smoke."
    He anticipates no difficulty in policing the ban and believes the smoking public are becoming so accustomed to the regulations in bars and restaurants they will be happy to abide by them in Croke Park.
    Martin Breheny

Croker ban the latest blow for smokers
    http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/sport/Full_Story/did-sgiQc31o-XC56sgDQQ5wn3uAIg.asp
    CROKE PARK is to become the country's first smoke-free sports stadium.
    The GAA took the landmark decision at the weekend, when the Central Council formally endorsed a proposal from the Association's Management Committee. While it follows the national smoking ban introduced by Health Minister Micheál Martin, GAA leaders had been alive to the possibilities of banning smoking in the major grounds, after seeing similar bans in stadia in Australia.

Urging its acceptance, President Sean Kelly said: "We think it's a good recommendation.

"It's not something we would intend to police with vigour, because it would very difficult to do.''

"But we are sending out a message and asking for cooperation.''

He added that there would be no smoking in the toilets in Croke Park, commenting: "That's even gone from schools!'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

damn..i thought it was just the stands.

doesn't bother me tho but pld to the GAA for doing so. takes balls to ban smoking in the WHOLE stadium [aside from the interior yis?]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

could be a closet insurance ting either,parkhead banned smoking after the stadium was redeveloped,think insurance was behind it.
    anyways i think its a good thing,hopefully il hav plenty of time to sample the fresh air up there season with roscommon.

a footnote at a league match the week after the smoking ban was brought in and a lady sparked up infront of me before turning to ask me if i knew if the smoking ban applied to football stadia......i repleid no that it was an amatuer game,so it wasnt players work.....?

Advertisement