Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terrorists planned suicide bombs at old trafford

• 20-04-2004 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

from football 365.com

A packed football stadium could have been the target of an al Qaida attack, it emerged today, as 10 people arrested in anti-terror raids were being questioned by police.

Suicide bombers may have been planning to attack Old Trafford and the City of Manchester football grounds, according to reports.

However, police and the Home Office have refused to comment on possible targets.

Six men and a woman were arrested in Greater Manchester yesterday. Three other men were arrested in Staffordshire, South Yorkshire and the West Midlands.

All 10, described by police as North African and Iraqi Kurdish in origin, were held on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.

Assistant Chief Constable Dave Whatton, of Greater Manchester Police, said the raids were part of an ``ongoing operation related to the threat of terrorism''.

He added: ``It is part of an ongoing operation that has been under way for some time and will continue in the future.

``This is the first action that the public have become aware of as it is overt, but nothing should be read into that.

``At this time we have nine men and one woman in custody.

``Our inquiries lead us to believe they are of Iraqi Kurd and North African origin.

``They are in police custody and will be interviewed as part of the ongoing inquiry.

``I am aware there is extensive speculation about possible targets. As with any counter-terrorist operation we will not confirm or deny any targets.''

The Home Office refused to comment on reports that Old Trafford and the City of Manchester football stadiums may have been potential targets for an attack.

The Sun reported that a suicide bomb plot was planned for Old Trafford for the Manchester United home game with rivals Liverpool on Saturday.

The newspaper said intelligence chiefs believed al Qaida fanatics planned to blow themselves up among the expected 67,000 fans and had already bought tickets.

The Times reported that Old Trafford, Manchester City's new ground - the City of Manchester Stadium - or a major shopping centre in the city were possible targets.

The suspects can be held for questioning for 14 days without charge.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

and just wait for the Sun newspaper to blame the liverpool fans again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well its only a matter of time I reckon. Sporting Events would be a prime target, TV Coverage, plenty of people densely packed together.

As for the Liverpool quip, remember the chaos during Hillsborough cause of crushing, now imagine that after several suicide bombers blow themselves up!! Sick and worrying.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Manchester United are denying it but i agree that it is only a matter of time before a sporting event is a target :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

What drives these people to do such things? If anything, I thought Kurds would have been pleased at British military action in Iraq. Its sad to think that such a small minority of hardcore lunatics could reap so much destruction on innocent people.

Having said that, I'd really like to applaud the British police for the success of the counter-terrorism campaign. Those people seem to be working thier socks off at the moment, and are doing an incredible job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Security at premiership matches is not that good either, so it would be an easy target!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by irish1
    Security at premiership matches is not that good either, so it would be an easy target!!

if the security at matches cant stop a streaker running on to the pitch, whats gonna stop some nutter running out on the pitch with 40lb of explosives??!?!

england WILL be the next target though. thats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

They're scum if they start targeting football matches. Totally innocent people being terrorised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by L5
    They're scum if they start targeting football matches. Totally innocent people being terrorised.

As opposed to packed commuter trains?

They're scum full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

, whats gonna stop some nutter running out on the pitch with 40lb of explosives??!?!

Better that they run onto the pitch then detonate in the crowds :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

I don't think United have any option but to deny it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Originally posted by mr_angry
    What drives these people to do such things? If anything, I thought Kurds would have been pleased at British military action in Iraq. Its sad to think that such a small minority of hardcore lunatics could reap so much destruction on innocent people.

Having said that, I'd really like to applaud the British police for the success of the counter-terrorism campaign. Those people seem to be working thier socks off at the moment, and are doing an incredible job.

yeah.. have to agree there mr_angry... the british intelligence people are certainly on the ball... there has been quite a few possible incidents that have been nipped in the bud before they could ever happen...

im surprised that sporting events haven't been targeted before... from a terrorists point of view its the perfect target... lots of innocent people and more than likely, mass coverage of the event at the time...

i suppose if it took out the liverpool team it wouldnt have been a bad thing... anfield would have been a better stadium to level though..... :ninja: being an evertonian that is :D

all joking aside.. well done the brits on this one...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

This is very worrying, I know that the trains in Madrid were shocking but this brings it a bit closer to home

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

this could happen at any sporting event and the sad thing is that it might not be preventable.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yeah its a big easy target and it only takes one nut to do the damage.

imo, it doesnt help talking about it and releasing these details to the media as it might just give ideas to people. although you could argue it will make people more aware and let terrorists know their being watched.

euro 2004 will be a massive target and must be very tightly watched. to be fair to the british they do seem to be organised and making an effort to stop these threats as early as possible. hopefully the portugese will be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I heard that all 10 were Man City fans and that this was all a BIG scam to scare the team into winning 4 matches on the trot. Fear is a great motivator I find.

Note carefully that they were arrested by the local plod and not the anti-terrorist plod from London who are probably all Leeds supporters anyway. The Manchester plod are all City fans at heart I'll have yiz know.

Cunning plan or wha, expect the 'evidence' to evaporate in about 3 weeks, them lads will never have to pay for a Kebab in Moss Side again if City stay up.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I was in Old Trafford yesterday and security was very tight. There were a number of announcements in the stadium to keep bags at home and get into the stadium early for the Liverpool match so they are taking it pretty seriously...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

can't imagine the horror if something were to happen - hopefully it is specualtion rather than a concrete plan as I'm sure an attack of this nature would be likely to succeed as security at stadiums is pretty lax (well, I never get searched anyway...)

Advertisement