Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ranieri blasts Abrahmovich

• 20-04-2004 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

Looks like he's definitely finished after comments like this :(:(

Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri says that Blues owner Roman Abramovich 'knows nothing about football' and that he will get the sack even if he wins the Champions League.

Ranieri's side meet Monaco in the semi-finals of the Champions League but he is expected to lose his job whatever the outcome.

He has certainly increased the chances of that by telling Spanish newspaper Marca: "Abramovich knows nothing about football. That's the real shame.

"If he had understood what my side had achieved that season he would have valued me more highly. We did it all without any money."

Chelsea qualified for the Champions League last year by finishing fourth in the Premiership - but Abramovich was clearly not impressed.

"Ever since he arrived at the club Abramovich wanted Eriksson," said Ranieri. "From the very start. They even met in the summer.

"But Eriksson said he couldn't leave the England team and so the next day Abramovich met me and told me: 'OK, you've done a good job these last few years and you are going to carry on.'

"I already have the Abramovich sword embedded in me. I'm convinced that even if I win the Champions League I will be sacked."

Ranieri's failure to win the Premiership despite spending over £100m on players is expected to cost him his job. But the Italian claims the Russian's ignorance is the major problem.

"It was a very tough job to sign so many players and get them to play together. Abramovich didn't realise that. He thought I'll sign that one and that one and then we will win," said Ranieri.

Chelsea face Monaco in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final without either Damien Duff or William Gallas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Good man Claudio! Don't go quietly into that long goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I think he knows that he's finished there, so at least he's fighting back. I doubt any of the players are happy with the situation, terry has said that it wouldbe a step back to sack ranieri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

well done Ranieri is all i can say to that. he needs a club that will treat him like the great manager he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If Ranieri gets sacked he gets about £6mil compensation, that must be the plan.:dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fair play to him, at least he's finally standing up to the fact that he might not last much longer, sure he deserves better, but he's not going to get it at Chelsea, or from Abrahmovic or "Cuddly" Peter Kenyon.

Anyone watching Rodney Marsh on "Your on SkySports" last night, where it was suggested that the only reason Kenyon was brought in was to secure the services of Sven, and now that he's failed it will be him that gets the sack rather than Claudio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

well mr "manc" kenyon has been very good at undermining the manager since he breezed in from Old Trafford, if Claudio manages to get to the CL final then Mr Kenyon should do the decent thing and feck off. Personally I think Claudio deserves to stay on , not just for what he has done this season but most importantly for what he did in previous years with little cash and the ever cuddly Ken Bates breathing down his neck everyday. With Kenyon so highly regarded for his building the Man U brand worldwide I'm surprised he doesn't see the greater value of a manager who most neutral followers and opposition supporters worldwide greatly respect for his attitude professionalism and he (admittedly) scary willingness to change tactics if he sees fit , and who got CFC to the QF of the CL.

I can fully understand Abramovich's position though, he bought a business and would like to appoint his own people to the key positions, on the face of it , Sven looked like a World's Top Manager candidate (by virtue of the fact that he manages engerland rather than any real achievements in recent years). If he was so confident in Sven then I suspect the IQ of his advisors on footballing matters, worse case scenario we might well end up with Houllier next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Fair play to Ranieri if it's true, there's no doubting he deserves better and I'd have him at Liverpool next season if he was available:)

the only reason Kenyon was brought in was to secure the services of Sven, and now that he's failed it will be him that gets the sack rather than Claudio?

That's what's been reported in the last few weeks alright, don't understand why Abramovich has such a horn for Eriksson though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Originally posted by seansouth
    Fair play to him, at least he's finally standing up to the fact that he might not last much longer, sure he deserves better, but he's not going to get it at Chelsea, or from Abrahmovic or "Cuddly" Peter Kenyon.

Anyone watching Rodney Marsh on "Your on SkySports" last night, where it was suggested that the only reason Kenyon was brought in was to secure the services of Sven, and now that he's failed it will be him that gets the sack rather than Claudio?

Strange that because he failed trying to bring Ericson to United so what made them think he would succeed the second time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by L5
    He(Ranieri) has certainly increased the chances of that by telling Spanish newspaper Marca: "Abramovich knows nothing about football. That's the real shame.

Might Explain this...
    Originally posted by Shred

don't understand why Abramovich has such a horn for Eriksson though:rolleyes:

I have never been able to fathom why Sven was in such demand at Chelsea.

And I for one will rub my hands with glee if that backstabbing scumbag Kenyon dies get the heave ho from Chelsea, he'll deserve it for

a) Treatment of Caludio.

and

b) Treatment of Manchester United ( much as you may dislike them, you can hardly respect what Kenyon did to them ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ranieri is the man. He'll have his pick of jobs if he gets sacked, I'd imagine. And what with Real Madrid quite possibly looking for a new manager at the end of the season, if he doesn't win the CL next year, there's always next year, eh? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Fair play to him, Ranieri isn't going to take this crap lying down.

As for why Abramovich has such a hardon for Eriksson, that is a mystery. Eriksson is a perrenial runner-up, and only won the Serie A with Lazio in 2000 after they had spent even more money on the squad then Abramovich has so far with Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Good man Ranieri. he is right when he said abrahmovich doesn't know anything about football. He only looks at it like an investment. he wants to buy the perfect team so he can win all major competitions. sooner or later he will figure out that that will not happen and will sell his shares in the club.

Advertisement