Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smallish TV for the bedroom- Where to buy?

• 20-04-2004 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

Looking for a smallish telly for the bedroom, preferrably bigger than the usual 14" portables and must have a scart connection. Beyond that I'm not looking for anything special, though stereo would be nice.

Can you recommend any irish sites to have a look at prices/specs before buying? Powercity.ie has hardly anything priced, did.ie has nothing priced. Any other sites I may not have thought of?

Also, are there any brands I should avoid like the plague? I.E are Power city's Beko brands any good for the money? Bear in mind I'm looking for something sub €200 and the subber the better :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

We used to have a beko TV - in 1995 (can't believe it was that long ago :) ) and it was fine, the screen wasnt quite as flat as some others, but the picture and sound were great. As budget brands go i think they are one of the best.

the others - bush,goodmans, etc, I have no personal experience.

I think mitsubishi black diamond are cr@p, blurry pictures, etc.

i think the best thing to do is just call out to power city where you can play with the TVs without pressure, then if you decide you are going for a good brand like sony jcv etc, ring around did etc to check prices, as DID have better customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I have a 14" Beko, bought from Power City in my bedroom at the moment. I only use it for playing the PS2 and it does the job grand.
    Only problem I've noticed with it is that in the top right of the screen the picture bends. It's not always noticable, only really when there's text up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I've got a 21" beko and have had no probs at all with it. As a second tv for the bedroom, it's top notch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Dixons and currys do cheap 19" matsui tvs that don't take up too much space

Don't know what the quality is like though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Dunnes have what looks like a 17" (never heard of that size before in a TV) with DVD combo for €189. Don't know the brand or availability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Thanks for the info guys.

Any opinions on Daewoo for TVs? Currys at Liffey Valley have a Daewoo 21" nicam w/text and scart for €170. Seems like a great price so long as the quality is good. Picture looks good in the shop, better than some of the tellies around it at twice the price. Gonna pick it up later today methinks if nobody has any horror stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

when i was buying a tv last summer i found these sites very helpful for reviews, horror stories etc:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/

http://www.avforums.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Dixons were selling a 14 inch Matsui TV in the new year sales for €89.
    If anything this price has probably dropped since then.

Advertisement