Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative Zen Firmware Question

Options
  • 20-04-2004 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭

:sigh:

Ok in my quest to fix Mediascource (which didn't work), I used the auto update functions on the Creative site. In the process I updated the firmware on my player.
    Now, I have come across an extremely annoying problem. It's not nearly as loud as it used to be when playing back music.

I used to listen at about 15/25 volume wise, now I have to have it at 25/25 with EAX turned on to get it at decent level. Did anyone else come across this problem?
    Is there any fixes for it? And can you roll back a firmware upgrade by re-flashing it with an older version?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

There is apparently a difference between US firmware and the EU firmware (EU legislation limits the max. noise level). It is possible to downgrade the firmware to an older version (did it myself, after encountering problems with file transfer over USB). You should be able to find more info and firmware downloads here:
    www.nomadness.net

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Thanks for the info.
    I'll try and get it sorted tonight.

Which firmware version are you currently using?
    The upgraded one on mine is v1.10.02e. A popular one on nomadness.net seems to be v1.11.01 but I'm guessing this still has the refined max volume aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

The one's with the 'e' suffix are the EU versions. The actual version depends on which version of the Zen you have (Firewire vs. USB2 etc). Most of the versions on the site are US, unless they mention "refines the maximum sound output to 100 dB, which is in accordance with European Standards (EN 50332-1)."

If you have Firewire, I'd try 1.12.02.

I actually had a firmware version downloaded a while ago that I forgot to use. After trying 4 firmware versions from the site, all of which I wasn't allowed use, I remembered the one I had previously downloaded and it worked so I used it.
    It's a USB2.0 player, I downgraded the firmware to v1.01.02.

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement