Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passive northbridge cooler

Options
  • 20-04-2004 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a Zalman Northbridge Cooler (ZM-NB32J), of of the passive types. Has anyone fitted of of these to an Abit is7e?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I have one of them in my rig,there good but you will need a propper airflow through the case,and i wouldent recommend overclocking your system while using it (would be hot enough already ).it comes with a glue to stick it to the chipset if there are no mounting holes on the mobo.

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Thanks for the reply. I've already got the machine overclocked, so I might give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Depending on how high your overclock is ... ie how close to max FSB your setup is, then the passive cooler might limit your overclock. That board should go up to 250mhz + FSB easily, so adding a passive cooler (like the asus boards have) would bring that down to 240mhz at worst (estimation).

I found that my max FSB with active cooling was 220mhz, with the passive cooler it was 214mhz (at a given multiplier).

www.hitide.ie have what should be the newer version of the zalman chipset cooler...... the header says NB32, but thats the NB47 in the pic and thats the heatsink it talks about in the spec. I used the NB47.......

If the noise is getting to you and your not hitting 250mhz FSB +, then id pop on the passive NB cooler. Make sure your board has mounting holes and not the clips like some of the newer abit p4 boards have.

Hummm, that's interesting. Unfortunatly I've got the front bus running at 250mhz (2.4Ggz overclocked to 3.0Ghz). I'm not using any voltage tweaks though, and have plenty of cooling in the case. I'd even be interested in say using the Zalman and adding a quiet fan to it. I really think that the north bridge fan is the last really noisy component in my system.

I've noticed that Abit have relased the IS7e2, which I'm assuming is an upgrade to the IS7e, and it has a passive cooler...

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,
    Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    www.hitide.ie have what should be the newer version of the zalman chipset cooler...... the header says NB32, but thats the NB47 in the pic and thats the heatsink it talks about in the spec. I used the NB47.......
    [/B]
    ups!
    thanks for pointing this mistake out.
    Actually we have ordered the NB32 and got the newer model NB47. :D

It is corrected now....

ah: and there is no glue included, you need the two holes in the MB or use thermal adhesive to mount it.

jow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Unfortunatly I've got the front bus running at 250mhz (2.4Ggz overclocked to 3.0Ghz).

There are quite a few passivly cooled 865 and 875 intel boards which hit 250mhz FSB. Theres actually a good chance your board will hit close to that with the Zalman NB cooler (plus you have voltage options with your board). Its really up to you, how annoying do you find the little bugger of a fan?
    Actually we have ordered the NB32 and got the newer model NB47.

lol, looked a little strange alright :) . Tis not offen you see mistakes on the hitide website.....

For the price of the passive cooler from HiTide (cheap) plus I might go for a Chieftec case at the same time I guess it's worth a try. It's not like I need the extra cycles the overclock gives me: Doom 3 and HL 2 are still wayyy out there.

Fekkers.

Advertisement