Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-election pre-nump'

Options
  • 20-04-2004 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

In the runup to election time, all politicians seem to tell porkies in order to gain votes for them and their parties. then, as soon as they gain power often break these verbal agreements with the people.

It occured to me to approach a politician bafore election time and ask...

"You say your going to improve the public health service by commiting at least X amount of money. Are you lying?"

When they say no, there not lying. simply produce a prepaired contract stating that the politician will forfit half his stuff to me if he doesn't forfill the details of his promise.

If he refuses to sign then he is clearly a liar and is not to be trusted with my vote or the votes of the people. If he is a trustworthy politican (?) he will have no problem staking his personal wealth on his own integrety.

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

i don't think you'd find many agreeing to that :D In fairness though, circumstances can change. The country is not doing as well now as it was 6 years ago. Also I certainly wouldn't want to be held to such a standard in my own work. Would you? (loose half your wages if you don't increase sales by 20%)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

In the words of Sir Rhodes Boyson: "I'd go along with that"

Spacedog for Taoiseach!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Originally posted by vorbis
    i don't think you'd find many agreeing to that :D In fairness though, circumstances can change. The country is not doing as well now as it was 6 years ago. Also I certainly wouldn't want to be held to such a standard in my own work. Would you? (loose half your wages if you don't increase sales by 20%)

I'm not talking so much about economics as much as personal integrety

perhaps my example of health service spending wasn't the most apt...
    If a candidate stands for election on certain issues, but abandons those issues once power is gained. what reproach is there for the people who elected him? nothing, there stuck until the next general election.

If you or I promised to increase sales by 20% knowing that we were incapible or unwilling to achieve such a target, then slack off and do nothing, We'd be fired by the end of the month on the grounds of low proformance levels which is stipulated as a valid reason for termination in most sales based contracts.

The government, on the other hand get a free ride until the next election, as a reward for breaking their word, allowing them to gain short term benifets for the people around election time (e.g. SSIA payoffs) when they come out smelling like roses, ready to sucker in the electorate once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

the thing is though spacedog is that the elections supposed to be used to punish politicians for such integrity breaches. If the electorate vote back in a person that broke promises to them then that electorate only has itself to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Originally posted by vorbis
    the thing is though spacedog is that the elections supposed to be used to punish politicians for such integrity breaches. If the electorate vote back in a person that broke promises to them then that electorate only has itself to blame.

But if the electorate have nothing to choose between Liar A and Liar B, they cannot be blamed. the election system needs the essential safegaurd of giving me half of corrupt politicians property and posessions. I am willing to sholder this emormous burden, for the people of this great land (is there a javascript to gently play the national anthem in a post?) God bless you all.

ireland.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

Sin na fianna fáil a tá faoi geal ag... and so forth (wipes patriotic tear from eye)

Advertisement