Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scissors left in woman after surgery

• 20-04-2004 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/04/20/story143698.html
    Scissors left in woman after surgery
    20/04/2004 - 6:00:17 PM

An Australian woman demanded an explanation today from a Sydney hospital where where a pair of scissors were left in her abdomen after surgery and said she planned to sue.

Pat Skinner, 69, had part of her colon removed at St George Hospital in May 2001. But she said that she continued to suffer intense pain in her abdomen for months after the operation.

Eventually, she demanded doctors x-ray her abdomen. They did and discovered the 6.7 inch scissors, which were removed in October 2002.

“It was like a nightmare seeing those scissors up on the screen,” she said. “It was very, very traumatic and extremely painful.”

The hospital has apologised for the accident, but Mrs Skinner said she said plans to take legal action.

A hospital spokeswoman said lawyers for both sides were currently meeting and discussing the matter.

The incident was reported to the Health Care Complaints Commission, but no disciplinary action was taken against the surgeon or the four other staffers who operated on Mrs Skinner, said the hospital’s chief executive, David Pearce.

“We have put this down to human error,” he said. I’ve been executive director here for four years, and in that time we’ve done something like 40,000 operations and this is the first time this incident has occurred....”
    .... all other patients it has happened to died quietly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

6.7 inches!

That's longer than my ..... scissors....
    *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

Well that cant be comfortable, i know how she feels, i had an x ray and they found, not just a scissors but a whole hairdressing set.......very traumatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nobody feel sorry for her.

She's going to be rich. Beyond her wildest dreams.

Hell, stick a scissors in me for 18 months, it'll be worth it.

Advertisement