Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[ Official EA/Dice ] Battlefield 2 Announced!

Options
  • 20-04-2004 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

Press here

Man it sounds great hopefuly it wont be the unblanced mess vietnam is at the moment but with the real Dice makeing the game it shouldnt be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Everyone misses the fact that the Vietnam war WAS an unbalanced mess. The US had a massive firepower advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog
    Everyone misses the fact that the Vietnam war WAS an unbalanced mess. The US had a massive firepower advantage.

Yes that maybe fact but this is a game not a history lession both sides should be equal or the game becomes old very fast

As much fun as it is being shot down 10-15 times by karma in a cobra useing heatseekers it get's annoying after awhile seeming you have NOTTING to counter with.Same with the USA they have no anti air one helio and you can rape the usa team for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

EA AND DIGITAL ILLUSIONS ANNOUNCE DEVELOPMENT OF BATTLEFIELD 2 FOR THE PC
    Award-winning Battlefield Franchise Sequel Invades the Modern Battlefield

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., April 20, 2004 – Move out soldier! Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS) and Digital Illusions today announced that development is underway on the sequel to the award-winning Battlefield 1942™ PC game. Battlefield 2™, scheduled for release in spring 2005, moves the franchise forward in time to invade the high tech frontlines of modern warfare. Powered by an all new game engine, Battlefield 2 brings the intensity and excitement of its predecessors, Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam™, into the modern era with the latest, most technologically advanced vehicles and weapons systems available to man.

In Battlefield 2, players will choose to fight for one of three military superpowers: the United States, China, or the newly formed Middle East Coalition. Armed with the latest modern weaponry, players can take control of any of the game’s 30+ vehicles to engage in major conflicts with over 100 players in some of the largest online battles on the PC.

Battlefield 2 features immense, richly detailed, destructible environments, from city streets to remote forests, in some of the most notorious hot spots around the world. Each map in Battlefield 2 adjusts in scale to support the number of players in the world, providing the ideal vehicle-to-player ratio and an optimized game play experience. Enhanced team play features allow players to enter the action on the front lines as part of a formal squad, or work behind the scenes in Commander Mode to direct the strategic assaults of their teammates. With in-game success, players increase their rank from recruit all the way to General and unlock awards, including new weapons, vehicle decals, medals, and more.

Additionally, Battlefield 2 showcases an all-new game engine and physics system to bring the modern battlefield to life like never before. The new material penetration feature measures weapons’ ability to fire through barriers based on their composition and players will need to know the difference between concealment and cover in order to survive.

Battlefield 2 is being developed by the original Battlefield 1942 Sweden based developer, Digital Illusions. Electronic Arts will publish and distribute the game for the PC under the EA GAMES™ brand worldwide.

[align=center]chopper_small.jpg tank_small.jpg[/align]

From Official Battlefield Websites 1942 \ Vietnam

Anythign more you want to know? Totally new engine, 100 players, destructible environments ...

[Update]
    Merged thread with bizmark's thread with the link to the Eurogamer article.

Destructible environments

Yummy the advantages of being able to make your own Tank hole so you can get your tank into a hull down position or blow holes in buildings for snipers will be ace.

Imagen it

Flying along with in your f22 you get a call about a sniper on the top floor of a building.......You fly over drop a bomb destroying the building sniper and any possibility of that area being used for sniping again.

Top stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by bizmark
    Same with the USA they have no anti air
    I take it you haven't found the anti-air tank thing? Very handy. You drive under a tree, and shoot the enemy down. They die, but don't know how. They start to call you a cheater, so u blast down the fly-overs their planes do.

• Advertisement

The zue is a nva wepion not American (if thats what your on about looks like a tank with 2 big cannons and a open turret ?) i have yet to see any american anti air tanks/wepions

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by bizmark
    You fly over drop a bomb destroying the building sniper and any possibility of that area being used for sniping again.
    Anybody here remember a show called Sledgehammer? Its an old one. The dude comes along, fires a rocket @ a building, whole building falls down, and the sniper gets killed.

=====

The one that will rock, tho, is the bit "to fire through barriers based on their composition", as this may mean that parts blocked off to a jeep, can get crushed by tanks :)

Also means that hiding behind a wooden wall won't do any good :ninja:

Game looks like it will turn out to be a hog on the computer though specs needed will be very high :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

You took the words right out of my mouth Biz. Start saving now boys for your new Geforce 6800's.

Aye me thinks most of us will be up to Amd 64 socket 939 pci express geforce 6800 super computer levels by the time this game comes out :D .....You can see karma drooling "No where to hide from my helio now muhahahaah behind a barrel ill blast ya in a tank ill bast ya on the ground ill blast ya even in buildings ill blow holes in it then blast ya" that is till he smacks into a high rise building or tree of course :p .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I think I speak for all when I say this game will be sex.

It seems to be the true next generation game. Still at least a year away, hopefully my Radeon9800 will still be up to the task. Will be animal on a 100 person lan though. I can see this game really being something. Just that whole year of wating to do now.

In a years time your 9800 will still be fine id say....Mind you it would be starting to have a hard time

<-- Waiting till socket 939 and see how Ati does.....then ill make my mind up if to get a new uber computer sell of the 2 i have now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

man that game sounds soooo f***king good!! its goign to be savage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

OpFlash had the weapon pentration a few years back.

/me patiently awaits OpFlash2 and BF2, but more the former

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

A piece of Battlefield 2 from [url]www.computerandvideogames.com:[/url]

BATTLEFIELD TO LAUNCH NEW PC OFFENSIVE IN 2005

Battlefield 2 coming for PC next Spring, Digital Illusions reveals, built on new technology. Plus: first screens inside

12:44 Battlefield developer Digital Illusions, in a press statement, has lifted the lid on a new title in the series for PC that currently goes under the name Battlefield 2. Battlefield 2 is expected to launch in 2005 and, like the recently announced PS2 Battlefield title Modern Combat, will be based on modern day warfare.
    Thankfully adhering to the "if it ain't broke, don't fixt it" philosophy, Digital Illusions is retaining the series' core gameplay for Battlefield 2 (so, joyful multiplayer madness - plus some hot new additions! See update, page bottom). But the developer has also revealed that the title is being built on brand new technology that will apparently take us into the "next generation" of PC games. Cor.

As with Modern Combat on PS2, three protagonists are lining up to wage war across expansive battlefields - the US, China and Middle East Coalition. Expect a heap of contemporary firepower and military vehicles.

Individual teams are working on Battlefield: Modern Combat on PS2 and Battlefield 2 on PC, and according to Digital Illusions both titles are being designed to appeal to their appropriate markets. So expect differences, but whether that extends beyond number of players supported and control methods is currently unknown. Although it sounds very possible.

Many are hoping that Battlefield 2 will be shown at E3 next month. EA is publishing the title, but with the company keeping schtum at the moment about any plans to display the follow-up at the behemoth games event, we'll just have to wait and see.

UPDATE: Hey, some new details have just emerged:

30-plus vehicles are on the cards
    Battlefield 2 maps will be 100 players maximum (wow!)

Environments will be destructible

Maps adjust in scale to support the number of people playing

Play as part of a formal squad or work behind the scenes in Commander Mode to direct the strategic assaults of your teammates

Players increase their rank from recruit all the way to General and unlock awards, including new weapons, vehicle decals, medals, and more

As well as a new engine, there's a new physics system

A new material penetration feature measures weapons' ability to fire through barriers based on their composition

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Why does this game reek of a mish mash of other peoples ideas i.e the three nations from c&c and the
    Play as part of a formal squad or work behind the scenes in Commander Mode to direct the strategic assaults of your teammates

Players increase their rank from recruit all the way to General and unlock awards, including new weapons, vehicle decals, medals, and more
    Natural Selection and Ns Combat anyone.

Im sure it will be all shiny and nice and a good game but then again who am I to expect originality from EA

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

t_cobra2.jpg
    t_gubbe.jpg t_Prep4Battle.jpg

Clicky for bigger.

Advertisement