Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can I use an irish TV set in Europe?

Options
  • 21-04-2004 8:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I have recently moved to mainland Europe and brought with me my tv (Finlandia) and vide Philips VR675.

The TV & video work fine together I can see the picture and hear the sound fine, no problem, but when I try to tune the TV channels, I only get the pic, no sound at all.

I have tried tunning the channels trough the Tv and and trough the video, but the resutl is the same, pic is fine but no sound.

any ideas?

BTW, both items worked fine back in Ireland

Cheers
    gaizka

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

The difference between the Irish (PAL-I) and European(PAL-G) broadcasting
    systems is that Ireland has 6 Mhz offset between the video and audio
    signals, whereas Mainland Europe has 5.5 Mhz offset. So, if you used an Irish TV in mainland Europe, you would get picture but no sound, and vice versa, unless somehow you could tune the audio and video independently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭gaizka71

Thanks for your replay, that confirms what I am suffering...
    is there anyway of changing the adapter or the tunning system of the Telly?

Regards
    gaizka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

If you use a sat system and connect via scart I think you will get full picture and sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

How modern is the TV ? Some sets and VCR's ahd a PAL I/G switch or menu option, have you checked ?

It used to be possible to "convert" tv sets from one to the other by replacing the 5.5MHz crystal filter in the tuner of the set, VCRs are a bit more complicted as the have a modulator too which needs to be converted.

If the TV is a good/expensive model it may well be economical to convert it otherwise buy a new tv and use the VCR for playback only through the SCART if available.

ZENER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭gaizka71

Hi,

TV was bought as a second hand TV brand is "Finlandia" ant it is quite old, do not think I will be able to change this....

Video is Philips VR675, and I bought it new, so I might be able to change the Pal I to Pal G via software(?)...
    and then I can use the video as the turner....

hopefully...

Thanks for all the answers.
    Slán
    gaizka

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭MoosemaN

I had the same problem coming to Ireland with my Swedish TV-set.

Connected via a vhs and then Scart into the TV. That worked fine.

Advertisement