Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed IP

• 21-04-2004 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Folks,

I'm in the market for a broadband connection in the Dublin 7 area with a FIXED IP. I believe IrishBroadband offer fixed IP on their standard breeze home package. Can anybody confirm this?

I've had no answer from IrishBroadband. They seem to be pretty helpful on the phone but don't respond to emails. Should I be looking elsewhere?

Many thanks,

Shane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by smceneaney
    Folks,

I'm in the market for a broadband connection in the Dublin 7 area with a FIXED IP. I believe IrishBroadband offer fixed IP on their standard breeze home package. Can anybody confirm this?

I've had no answer from IrishBroadband. They seem to be pretty helpful on the phone but don't respond to emails. Should I be looking elsewhere?

Many thanks,

Shane

afaik they do as do netsource and eircom with some packages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 smceneaney

Thanks for taking the time to respond Emboss. The netsource product has what I'm looking for but it doesn't seem to include a modem. I presume I would have to buy one. I'm looking for the cheapest product I can get. I need a fixed IP as I have a registered domain name and I want to host my own web pages.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Make sure that the isp and service that you choose allows you to run a webserver without breaking your terms and conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

We have Irishbroadband in the dublin 7 area and we have a static IP.The service was bad for a month or so but has been okay for the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

We have Irishbroadband in the dublin 7 area and we have a static IP.The service was bad for a month or so but has been okay for the last couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Thanks for taking the time to respond Emboss. The netsource product has what I'm looking for but it doesn't seem to include a modem. I presume I would have to buy one. I'm looking for the cheapest product I can get. I need a fixed IP as I have a registered domain name and I want to host my own web pages.

hmm they used to, you can buy them just about anywhere these days but i'm sure they'll suppply one if you ask

the usuall "just use a a service like no-ip.com" will be in shortly so i'll save them a post

http://www.dyndns.org/
    http://www.no-ip.com/
    http://www.dynip.com/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Q: How can I get a static IP address if I'm only paying my ISP for a dynamic IP address?

A: A dynamic DNS service, in its simplest form, solves the problem by giving you a domain name that looks something like quo.vadis.dynamic-dns-server.com. The Dynamic DNS Providers List available at http://www.technopagan.org/dynamic lists and rates dozens of dynamic DNS servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 smceneaney

Thanks for the posts. I got a response from Irish Broadband this morning confirming that the IP is fixed.

I read the terms and conditions and indeed you do have to seek permission to host a web server. I've asked for permision and I'm waiting for a response. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

You have to pay an upfront installation charge of €150 wil IBB, and you don't own the equipment (not that it would matter - you couldn't use it with anyone else anyway).

If you only want broadband so that you can host your own website, then you're wasting your money - it's a lot cheaper to pay someone else to host your domain for you, and you'll get far better performance. (Running a PC with a 100 watt draw 24x7 will cost you about 30c / day, or €100 a year).

Advertisement