Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Web HelpDesk

Options
  • 21-04-2004 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking for a very light helpdesk web application that will allow users to create a call log on using a webpage and these details will be added to a database.
    A couple of other pages to be capable of querying\updating the database would be very useful.

Are there any products around like this already that you know of? I have seen many products but some have much more functionality than required and they come with a very big price tag...

I was thinking along the lines of an ASP page updating an Access database?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Have a look at perldesk - www.perldesk.com

50 bucks and is used by most small providers and office admins / helpdesks.

HTH, Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Much as I hate to agree with Steve :) PerlDesk is excellent.
    There are other, more powerful solutions on the market, but PerlDesk works well.
    Users can submit tickets either via a web interface or email.

If you'd like to see how it is in action have a look at:
    http://www.blacknightsolutions.com/perldesk.php

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shakel

Cheers, this look like exactly what I need.
    Is it difficult to install? Having a look through the forums there seemed to be a lot of people with problems..

When they say it only works with POP mail, is that the mail server that runs on the linux box you install perldesk on or is that referring to the email addresses the users have? - hoping its not the users!!

The only part of the installation that can cause issues is email piping to be honest.
    The pop3 part of it is when you do not have root access to the server and need to run it through pop3 ie. all mail sent to it goes to a designated pop3 mailbox(es) and a perl script collects the mail at intervals to process it with the helpdesk.

We've set it up on a number of servers without any issues.

I've never tried on a windows server, so please don't ask :)

I'll be using linux and I'll have root so hopefully it should be painless...
    Thanks for the info!

• Advertisement

Well I went and got that software and I have spent the last three days trying to get it installed.
    I keep getting errors about a missing mysql perl module, I have installed every module I see any mention of on their site and stilll no luck.

What flavour of linux did you guys use? I am going to reinstall the OS again and I may as well use the version that you guys used and had no problems with. I tried using Redhat 9.0 but having no luck.
    Any help would be appreciated...

Cheers!

Hi

We've installed and run it on:
    Cobalt Linux (yeuch!)
    RedHat 7.3
    RedHat 9

We never had any serious issues with any version of perl and have used it on 5.6 and 5.8
    If you are having issues email me directly and I'll have a look for you:
    michele @ blacknight.ie

Michele

Advertisement