Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't get it.

Options
  • 21-04-2004 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Why are people these days so obsessed with getting a computer that looks like a mini-nightclub?

There's nothing quite so incredibly horrible as a new computer being "modded" to have a load of cold cathode light-tubes, screwed up flashing lights, and ugly LCD displays on front.

I'm all for PC customisation and tweaking, but I don't get the current fad of boy-racer-a-like customisations, and I'd be interested in the opinions of everyone else.

For me you can't beat a stylish, unobtrusive, quiet computer case that doesn't hurt the eyes and is relatively quiet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

grumble grumble, why did they ever stop making beige cases...

flashing lights are fairly ****ing stoopid alright.
    they're the only pc mod that i can't understand... surely they'd get very distracting/annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Well different ppl have different taste my friend. What may be a eye sore to you doesnt mean its an eye sore for the rest of the ppl. I dont have my pc flashisng with lights but I am thinking about putting cold cathode in it. At the end of the day, to ME it looks nice and I like it. Thats what most important!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I have go-faster stripes on my case.

H4RDK03R 2 D M4XXX!

and so-forth

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I put a clear panel in the side of my case so people could see all the kit I put in it and I could gloat mightly :D

I got blue led fans cause they were silent + on sale + very good make so to each their own :)

For my next build I'm going to go for a nice aluminium from Coolermaster, sorta sits there saying 'I'm the dogs' without doing anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Perhaps i should put speed holes in mine. and a spoiler. And some pimped out leopardskin around the outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by SyxPak
    I have go-faster stripes on my case.

H4RDK03R 2 D M4XXX!

and so-forth

Exactly... I tend to associate them with annoying CS kiddies... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I really don't like acrylic cases.
    I don't trust any case that isn't heavy enough to crush a small mammal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by Stephen
    Perhaps i should put speed holes in mine. and a spoiler. And some pimped out leopardskin around the outside.

And whatever you do, don't forget the furry dice!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Originally posted by moridin
    Why are people these days so obsessed with getting a computer that looks like a mini-nightclub?
    Each to his/her own. Many do it for the sheer fun of it, doing things from scratch to create (to some at least) works of "art". I think this is a good example of really good craftsmanship, and something that looks classy (plus I loved Blakes 7). The guy basically builds everything from scratch.

On the other hand, yep, there are plenty mingin' cases that are gaudy/garish with no aesthetic appeal or individuality whatsoever. But them's the breaks.

Personally, I'm unlikely to ever put in lights and a window (well, maybe one CCT behind the front grille :)), but it doesn't stop me appreciating the work that some put into making a unique PC, as well as cringing at others (big fat noisy exhaust types :rolleyes:). Who knows, I may get bored and put a stained glass window in the side! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think the trend towards multicoloured, bright lighting is stupid. I'd certainly find it difficult to concentrate on a typical nerd pastime like playing quake in a darkened room with a case full of lights :)

Sure, people can do what they want with their money, but its worrying when people put the look of the machine above the performance of what is inside it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Why does that make me think of iMacs? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Well ofcourse there's gonna be naff ones and some very well done mods (Orac3 being a prime example)

Myself has a UV strip on the side, which shows up the UV reactive stuff on the DFI lanparty and round cables. Shows up nicely in the Antec. Nothing too loud. Well i think it looks s3X0r anyway :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

i was going to purchase an acrylic case and trade in my modded Thermaltake case, until one of my friends got one and showed me the amount of dust these things can accumulate over just 2 days usage, that and the fact that for no reason known to man one of his neon led tubes went on fire when it was in the case

put me off them for life

shin

Originally posted by shinzon
    i was going to purchase an acrylic case and trade in my modded Thermaltake case

Which Thermaltake case do you have and what kind of mods did you do to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I guess you wont like the boards case mod gallery so,moridin.

well yah it's personal preferance,but ppl buing a new case see one with a window and think ''that look's sweet'' but it's no good if there is no light in the case ( standard black plastic fans !! ) so they start to get led fans and cold cathodes and then decide it's a bit too noisy so they invest in a fancontroller or watercooling and then keeps going from there,theres so much stuff you can add/change with cases these days.And sure why not, it's great to see other peoples creations.

** btw just for the record i dont play CS nor am i a kid :D **

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

there are alot of crap lookin mods out alright, but some get it right!, puttin in lights is a bit stupid in my view(no pun intended) cause you hardly see most cases!

but if it makes ya happy do it....

better than watchin blaeden "babylon 5" (a.k.a Crap TV)

Originally posted by Combatcow
    ... ppl buying a new case see one with a window and think ''that look's sweet'' but it's no good if there is no light in the case ( standard black plastic fans !! ) so they start to get led fans and cold cathodes and then decide it's a bit too noisy so they invest in a fancontroller or watercooling and then keeps going from there,theres so much stuff you can add/change with cases these days.

Yes, it's a disease! :) I'm tempted more and more by this type of thing, but mainly for the hell of messing around with bits of kit.
    ** btw just for the record i dont play CS nor am i a kid :D **
    But you do like Thundercats. Ya big Kid! ;) :cool: Even if you did cut it out to hide the evidence!

Do you still have the bit you cut out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

but its worrying when people put the look of the machine above the performance of what is inside it.

I think this is untrue, most people who would mod there case would probably spend money first on upping the spec of there PC rather than how it looked (am i wrong?)
    I built my PC because my old 450Mhz Dell just couldnt handle opening word anymore. I ordered the case (a skyhawk) and it had a window on the side of it, when i received it, it had a Cold cathode light inside, when i had finished building it i turned it on and it looked sweet, since then the only thing ive spent money on it was making it silent (thank u Zalman!). When you build your first PC, you will want to show it off. im sure as i build more and get older (im 23) they will become more reserved and boring.

Sean

Originally posted by rabbitinlights

... im sure as i build more and get older (im 23) they will become more reserved and boring.

Nah! :) You might find you have more money and time (assuming no kids of course), so your creations get grander in scope. When I was 23 I wasn't arsed about the puters at all, they just had to work. Then again, I think they were 66MHz DX's or something and beige was king... :dunno: At 32 I'll probably need more flashing lights to keep me interested! :p

Originally posted by Adeptus Titanicus
    Nah! :) You might find you have more money and time (assuming no kids of course), so your creations get grander in scope. When I was 23 I wasn't arsed about the puters at all, they just had to work. Then again, I think they were 66MHz DX's or something and beige was king... :dunno: At 32 I'll probably need more flashing lights to keep me interested! :p

I totally agree :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement