Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb - Prioritising

• 21-04-2004 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

From http://www.digiweb.ie -
    "Through our fair access policy we may prioritise some traffic types (such as browsing, email) over other traffic to deliver the best service to the majority of customers."

Anyone know exactly what they mean here?

Anyone signed up? Good service?

Specs and prices look great. Thinking of ordering Business Enhanced(1Meg, no cap), but I'd be doing a fair bit of gaming and don't want ****ty performance because my connection has been "prioritised" for email.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'd say that means they'll throttle heavy downloaders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

What it means is that they throttle ALL P2P access. They also block ports preventing some P2P programs from running at all.

My friend is luck to get 1k/s with Bittorrent on a 1Meg service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Very smart of them to give you a higher download cap but block most of the P2P programs. Pretty much useless having a higher download cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

So is this actually true. I was interested in getting the package but prioritising sours the deal. May have to wait til esat get their pricing in line with digiweb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Is P2P entirely legit? What type of stuff do people download from them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by alleepally
    Is P2P entirely legit? What type of stuff do people download from them?

Well there are legit files within the P2P but I guess Digiweb doesnt want ppl to hog their bandwith.

On another thread some people asked me to try some p2p packages. THe one I tried more than the others was Kazaa lite. I was able to download a vid clip of 21 grams which was over 300mb in size. It was no problem. I tried a winmx as well, it seemed to work but I didn't download anything. So far as I can tell digiweb didn't throttle the 300mb download. I got a respectible download speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Has anyone done a comparison of the providers from a routing perspective, so show latency, etc, for gamers?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    Has anyone done a comparison of the providers from a routing perspective, so show latency, etc, for gamers?

Hi Steve, still sniffing around the competition :)

There used to be a fairly good sticky thread on this very topic, but it doesn't seem to be stickied anymore, just do a search and you should find it.

People normally ping and traceroute to www.boards.ie for an Irish server and clarity.jolt.co.uk for a UK server for comparison purposes.

Most of the BB providers had pings of between 25 - 30ms to boards and 35 - 40ms to clarity. With most providers peering through INEX for Ireland. Digiweb seems to be an exception with routing to Ireland going through the UK :(

Eircom seem to have the best latency and routing, with Esat and Netsource very close behind them (not enough difference to really base a purchasing decision on). UTV have been having problems with latency and routing on and off.

If you like I'll get you pings and traceroutes on Netsource this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by bk
    Hi Steve, still sniffing around the competition :)
    Heh, but is it competition anymore? They've a notice up saying that they're not accepting new DSL orders for now!
    Originally posted by bk
    Most of the BB providers had pings of between 25 - 30ms to boards and 35 - 40ms to clarity.
    Except for eircom ADSL users (and their resellers), who get ~45-50ms to first hop.
    Originally posted by bk
    With most providers peering through INEX for Ireland. Digiweb seems to be an exception with routing to Ireland going through the UK :(
    ntl, I understand, also route via UK for Irish connections? I think all the DSL providers (well the 2!!) route via INEX.

.cg

• Advertisement

We're not in the market at the moment, just watching carefully :)

And yes, Eircom/Esat route via INEX, but most of the other providers are not members and route via the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They throttle p2p ports? Ha, thanks guys, I was just about to ring them to order their wireless service...i've changed my mind now!

alleepally, what digiweb package are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by eth0_
    They throttle p2p ports? Ha, thanks guys, I was just about to ring them to order their wireless service...i've changed my mind now!
    n another thread some people asked me to try some p2p packages. THe one I tried more than the others was Kazaa lite. I was able to download a vid clip of 21 grams which was over 300mb in size. It was no problem. I tried a winmx as well, it seemed to work but I didn't download anything. So far as I can tell digiweb didn't throttle the 300mb download. I got a respectible download speed.

I'd give them a call first and see if it's true.

CivilServant, I'm on the homejet package.

They block port 411 completely. (Used for Directconnect and others.)

Port blocking might be ok if they told you about it first. A lot of potential customers would be put off if they knew that they praticed port blocking. It makes less sense to do so on the homejet package where you already have a cap.

Hopefully someone will get the 1meg business package and report back! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

we got the wireless in dundalk and to be honest it is great.

downloading a lot of wrestling vids up to 300 MB and good speeds...

almost constant consistent speeds.

Thumbs up and nice to deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭dmd

Well, to be fair, not everybody uses p2p to get music etc.....it has a lot more uses, for searching etc...

Anyway, they are probably just rate limiting based on ports, I can't see them doing it based on content. So moving ports or ssh forwarding would get around this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I ordered Digiweb Homejet and asked one of their tech guys (american accent) if they blocked P2P - he said no and this would seem to be borne out by alleepally. He did say that if you go over your 10gb cap they'll let you know. As far as I know there was only ever a suggestion that they blocked p2p on their wireless products.

• Advertisement

Ok, so DSL is ok. But there Wireless is a no go area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by dmd
    I can't see them doing it based on content.

This is the most reliable way of doing it because it catches http tunnelers as well.

I can't see them admittting to doing it this way :D because they then get into heavy 'duty of care' **** if they are officially known to be doing it......more for what gets through the packet inspection than anything else.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ceepee

Guys - there is NO blocking of P2P on our traffic streams - neither on DSL nor Wireless. However, within our fair access policy, activity such as continuous 14-hour downloads will see lower priority on our network - email and other "bursty" traffic take priority. If someone is experiencing port problems they should check their firewall (hard and/or soft) first as the most likely source of the issue, and if no joy there then please contact our helpdesk to investigate further.

With wireless, Dundalk and Blackrock are the last towns to migrate to our new connectivity - mostly complete, a few sectors to go. Drogheda, Ardee, Donabate, Knockbridge, Navan, Virginia are all on the new connectivity. With 300 Mbps international connectivity open at present,speed will not be an issue! (The remaining Dundalk and Blackrock customers will see this in the coming fortnight). All the DSL services are delivered from this new network also.

We do have one multi-tenant site in Dundalk where the management have requested P2P blocking - perhaps thats where the blocking was seen?

thanks for your continued interest in our services

Steve - let us know if you need good DSL connectivity- you won't find better! :-)

Colm
    Digiweb

Originally posted by ceepee
    Steve - let us know if you need good DSL connectivity- you won't find better! :-)
    [/B]

I couldnt agree more, fair play Colm, its great to see some proper competition for the incumbents :) You should also sort out INEX membership to reduce the routing round trip :)

Originally posted by ceepee
    Guys - there is NO blocking of P2P on our traffic streams - neither on DSL nor Wireless. However, within our fair access policy, activity such as continuous 14-hour downloads will see lower priority on our network - email and other "bursty" traffic take priority.
    Colm
    Digiweb

Well! This is quite ethical and legal and within the parameters of the AUP I have seen. It is a traffic shaping algorithm and not a packet snoop.

Most carriers will have something like this to deal with P2P hogs when the network is busy, if not already then soon.

As Colm is back lurking , could you indicate if the throttle is dynamically reversed as the overall traffic is dropped off, say after midnight, or if a 'reconnect' would be required.

M

Colm,

My friend when I dropped up to him had no Firewall installed (hard or soft)

He has ports blocked, not throttled, blocked. What do you think might be causing this?

What do you mean by a multi-tenant site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by James Melody

What do you mean by a multi-tenant site?

I presume he means a landlord with numerous tennants in a building block. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

How come the home DSL product has a 10GB cap while the home wireless product has only an 8GB cap? Will the wireless cap be increased to be in line with DSL?

Also, where has the terms and conditions PDF gone from your site? I was planning on signing up to wireless having seen you don't block ports but I read on that PDF last week that there is a 100 euro disconnection fee if you need to get out of your contract; I rang your sales number but the man I spoke to didn't seem too sure if this was correct or if i'd have to pay for the rest of the contract period?

being 'modified' maybe, lets see whats in the T&Cs when they 'come back' :D

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

T&cs are still there and don't seem to have been modified lately (last revision 30/03/04)

Advertisement