Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Houllier to spend 30 Million

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yay! More Heskeys!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Liverpool fans best prepare for the long haul methinks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

would that be 6 years at Anfield ? thats way beyond the long haul for a manger who doesn't seem to be able to win stuff, sign decent players and plays Heskey.

I almost feel sorry for pool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Can anyone else see Liverpool being in the same state as Leeds are at the moment, in about 5 years time?

Shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Chairmen of medicore Czech and French clubs must be rubbing their hands together in glee. That'll be another inflated £6m fee for some 'promising' starlet that turns out to be another Smicer, Baros, Cheyrou, or God forbid, another Heskey.

Surely there couldn't be two on the planet? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

YES LADS!!!!

I am looking forward to seeing the signing of Authar Bendo (10 million) "the next Figo", or Boris Blahah (7.5 million) "the next Moller" etc...

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

lol, oh well, lol

Liverpool board must of all hit the bottle and can't think straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Originally posted by mr_angry
    Chairmen of medicore Czech and French clubs must be rubbing their hands together in glee. That'll be another inflated £6m fee for some 'promising' starlet that turns out to be another Smicer, Baros, Cheyrou, or God forbid, another Heskey.

Surely there couldn't be two on the planet? :rolleyes:

Baros is fantastic. Cheyrou, I think was named in the last French squad who played Holland? He has shown potential this season but Houllier has probably killed it all by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

you can keep your scruffy mitts off Dawson and well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

He has already spent half of that on cisse?? (14 mil?).

Can't see him using this 30 million anybetter than he has used all the other money...

john

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Cisse is quality , but then again so are players like owen and baros but their just wasted . ( with baros not playing and owen being up front alone ) .

I guess this means he will have to resign or have health problems before he goes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by mr_angry
    Chairmen of medicore Czech and French clubs must be rubbing their hands together in glee.
    ROFL. so true :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by growler
    would that be 6 years at Anfield ? thats way beyond the long haul for a manger who doesn't seem to be able to win stuff, sign decent players and plays Heskey.

It took Fergie 7 years to win something decent AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    It took Fergie 7 years to win something decent AFAIK.

TBH I prefer the Wenger trajectory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

He has already spent half of that on cisse?? (14 mil?).

Yeah but he should recoup a few quid when he sells Heskey, Diouf, Traore etc

/let me see, that's 4 + 1, minus one for Traore..mmm

that should give him about £400 to play around with:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This could be our season :D

He is buying another right back? Whats gonne happen to Finnan and Carragher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I really hope that this money will be offered as an enticement to get the next manager to sign on. There is not too much to attract the top managers to the club at the moment sadly:(

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

It'll be interesting to see if he gets a left winger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its too depressing to think about....now I hope we finnish 6th.

Mike.

Originally posted by PiE
    Can anyone else see Liverpool being in the same state as Leeds are at the moment, in about 5 years time?

Shocking.
    That will never happen (well, not likely). Liverpool are a far bigger club than Leeds.

• Advertisement

Can we all just agree not to have soccer related signatures? They are just there to piss others off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

whats a winger? Do you mean like ritchie partridge? for course he is not french so he couldnt be ......

(posted with thanks to the mod)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I wouldnt dwell on that 30m item ....

I dont think Houllier is a safe bet for next season. I think the owners are
    really thinking about moving him on if Liverpool dont get the 4th that
    they badly need in monetary terms. Promising 30m to spend at this
    stage in the season is talking about next season too soon as all
    focus should be on this season. The Owners have always said that
    funds will be available to spend (purchase) and to pay salaries
    (to keep players). Houllier is the main voice that I have heard
    talking about this 30m spending budget for next year.

Overall, Houllier is a lone voice on most occasions, and although
    everyone at the club has the upmost respect for him at the club,
    given the cups success and the health problems he had, underneath
    people are realising that the game if up if 4th is not reached this year.
    80% or higher of the Liverpool fan base in Liverpool itself, which is
    a football mad city is calling for his "resignation" as soon as its
    practical, in a dignified manner of course. We will all give him a good
    send-off, he tried, he had some success, but the time is clear now to
    move on. The only fly in the ointment might be a lack of a successor.

Liverpool have probably put feelers out for a likely replacement.
    But timing is essential in the manager merry-go-round which is likely
    to take place in the summer. As some have hinted elsewhere, maybe
    O'Neill is waiting for the Man U job, given that Dermot Desmond
    and other owners of Celtic are pals/owners of Man U with JP McManus
    and Magnier .....

-redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I think O'Neill is waiting for the man u job, his contract is similar to fergies, celtic will never sack him, he can leave when fergie leaves.

Cant see Houllier recouping alot of money from the players that liverpool have to sell, Hesky might go for 4 mil or so, Diuof back to france? for what 3/4 mil? at most, Troare??......like they arent exaclty the most sought after players nor do clubs have chelski style bank accounts to play around with. Like its no use giving him the 30 million, letting him spend it and when liverpool begin to get passed out by the likes of charlton, they sack him and the new manager has little or nothing to spend come christmas. If you look at what hoddle did with spurs, i mean in the end pleat brought in defoe and sold zamora to/fro west ham. I think hoddle should have been given more time, with the injuries he had at the time, thats neither here nor there, however should the same happen liverpool I cant see that being of any benifit to a team. It took fergie some time to build united into the team they are, but he did it with alot of young talent coming through mixed in with buying some of the best talent in the country; likes of cantona, keane, pallister, irwin. Houulier hasnt shown that ability to nuture young talent nor has he shown the ability to bring in world beaters like keane,irwin & cantona.

He has to go,

john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Isnt on of pools targets French lad Djerbil Cisse, a player who is banned for 4 international matches and will miss the Euro 2004 champs due to poor discipline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Can we all just agree not to have soccer related signatures? They are just there to piss others off!

ah poor you.... dont like what you see?

i dont think cisse is worth 14 big ones... auxerre definitely saw liverpool coming with that one... emmhhh. lets jack up the price of this average enough player... i can see this being another diouf.... has 3 or 4 great games when he signs and turns into a houllier vegetable...

I'd say he could get rid of diouf and diao pretty easily back to france.... get about 10mil total for those 2 realistically...

the longer heskey stays at liverpool the better i think:D

one positive thing from the 30 million is that at least he isnt going to buy 10 crap players for a couple of million each....:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Only problem is no half decent player will want to go there if they don't finish 4th which is looking increasingly unlikely - wonder what Harry Kewell thinks now.

Owen is still stalling so maybe thats where the money is coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In fairness, the players he is looking to buy will go a long way to solving our problems. If we get Cisse, Mexes and/or Dawson, then all we'd really need is a replacement or cover for Hamann (van Bommel is going cheap!) to have a pretty decent side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

I think Mexes is a class act, wouldn't mind seeing him at United

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by growler

Yeah "absolutely"!!!.................yeah right!!!

I remember Liverpool fans not having too much sympathy for other teams when I was a kid!! Ah sweet retribution!!! :p

I really think that Houllier must have dirt on some members of the board, and he told Heskey all about it!!! :D

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Mexes has said he will only join if in CL. He might be a bit too lightweight from what I've seen(i.e more of a ball player)

From my point of view I think Liverpool could buy whoever they want, but it still wouldn't make any difference. I think the manager is the problem, he is not getting the best out of his players (Owen etc.). I thought Diouf was a good player and he looked a good player for his first few appearances for Liverpool but he seemed to go downhill from there. Even Heskey was a decent enough player for a year or so and he went downhill. It will be interesting to see if the same happens to Cisse (another good player).

The main problem seems to be with the management and coaching staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Originally posted by BaZmO*

I really think that Houllier must have dirt on some members of the board, and he told Heskey all about it!!! :D

B.

That's the best explanation I have heard!!!!

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    ah poor you.... dont like what you see?

I personally dont care what anyone has in their sigs... However, the contents of peoples sigs have directly led to a number of flame wars between posters. These flame wars contributed to the soccer forum been shut down and the new system been introduced.

So the point of my initial post was, grow the **** up and stop taunting people.

Perfect example, if I wanted to antagonise you I could simple put Evertons recent form into my signature, the fact they are burdened by debt, have not won anything in god knows how long or simple mention that ye are the knackers of Liverpool city. I personally have no intention of doing so but the purpose of such sigs is to get a response.

From reading different articles, it seems like he is getting the 30 million as well as the funds gained from the selling of players.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I personally dont care what anyone has in their sigs... However, the contents of peoples sigs have directly led to a number of flame wars between posters. These flame wars contributed to the soccer forum been shut down and the new system been introduced.

So the point of my initial post was, grow the **** up and stop taunting people.

Perfect example, if I wanted to antagonise you I could simple put Evertons recent form into my signature, the fact they are burdened by debt, have not won anything in god knows how long or simple mention that ye are the knackers of Liverpool city. I personally have no intention of doing so but the purpose of such sigs is to get a response.

well if it doesnt bother you.. why say anything???

what... the fact that they have lost 1 in the last 9 games is a good record is it not???

that wouldn't bother me.. go ahead...

not exactly burdened by debt... there are a lot worse of clubs...

Knackers of liverpool??? you obviously haven't been there....

I think that statement deserves a ban under the new rulings???

Oh please....

I am simple suggesting that all the regular contributors to the soccer forum agree not to have soccer related sigs in order to minimise possible tensions between posters.

Hopefully this would lead to less bickering and threads will actually stay on topic for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

It just seems to me that if a gutsy manager like David O'Leary were to take over the existing squad of players at Liverpool AND be given £30 million in the summer... I think we'd see a team going places FAST! I thought a brilliant example of the gulf between arsenal and liverpool was shown by robbie earle on the premiership not so long ago. It was a direct comparison of styles of play and it just highlighted houlliers negativity and basic bad management. Liverpool have a good selection of somewhat quality players but are continually peeing against the wind under his football philosophy. I'm amazed he still has the job. But as a Manchester United fan... long may he stay! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The problem with liverpool lies solely with the manager, ok all of the player he has brought in are not top drawer, but the way the team plays doesnt let half othem show their stuff. People like Kewell, Diouf, Owen, Baros, Murphy, Riise are all not allowed to play football under houlliers style and its making them look bad.

Diouf is a player I hate to watch for liverpool, but I think under a better manager he might come good. He is still only 22/23, so he probably hasnt fully settled.

Plus Liverpool have not yet signed Cisse, it all depends on if houllier stays or goes in the summer whether he will join or not. I dont know what to make of him, Ive seen him play a few times in the last couple of years and havnt been overly impressed. He may be top scorer in the french league, but that doesnt really mean all that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Im not a Liverpool fan but have a die hard pool mate who refuses to put any of the blame on the players which i think is rubbish. Surely some of the blame is on them not preforming this season. Only Gerrard has played well for them this season and will anyone give Houllier credit for that? nope its because he is a good player but when the players play bad its all the manager's fault which is bullcrap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by RasTa
    Im not a Liverpool fan but have a die hard pool mate who refuses to put any of the blame on the players which i think is rubbish. Surely some of the blame is on them not preforming this season. Only Gerrard has played well for them this season and will anyone give Houllier credit for that? nope its because he is a good player but when the players play bad its all the manager's fault which is bullcrap.

Well for starters, if you compare liverpools players with that or arsenal, chelsea and utd, they are simply not good enough.

I would say that certain Liverpool players do give it their all, but they are only good enough for a top 10 side, not potential champions.

This is not their fault, this is the managers fault. Heskey, Smicer, arguably Murphy, Diou,Diouf and that comedy centre back they have (Biscan) are not championship players.

Of the ones that are: Hamann, Gerrard, Riise, Hypia, Henchoz, Baros, Owen and maybe Kewell (if he feels like it that day) are either played out of position, not played to their strengths or not played at all.

Now 8 players of that standard *should* be enough to challenge for the championship, but after those players the squad is a joke (in comparison with the top 3, even Newcastle have a better squad imho) and, as I said, if your best players are playing a game foreign to them or hugging the bench, what do you expect?

So if you look at Liverpools biggest problems:

Players not good enough
    Squad not strong enough
    Players out of position
    Players not played to their strengths

ALL of these things are managerial faults.

If players underperform at liverpool atthis stage, I'd think its probably morale, and again, I'd blame Houllier for that.

[edited for spelling and to name and shame Biscan ;) ]

i think you've hit the nail on the head there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Aye, syke, you've got it spot on!

I agree . But Cisse is class .

Big Ears french related transfer tip for Liverpool : Buy Giuly ( of course under houlier he would be crap but any other manager and he would shine . )

During Richie Partridges 9 (?) years at Liverpool he couldn't have got injured at a worse time. They have no natural right winger at the club and I have no doubt (well, a little dount ;) ) that he would have got his chance this season. I read a few weeks ago that he was going to sign another contract with Liverpool, his contract was supposed to run out this month. Did he sign a new one?

If Partridge ever got his chance on the right and took it, all Liverpool would need is Cisse and a centre half (Mexes) and I believe they would be up there with the top three. They wouldn't even need he 30mil IMO.

____________________Kirkland_____________________

Finnan_______Hyppia__________Mexes_______Carragher

Partridge_______Hamann________Gerrard_______Kewell

_______________Owen_______Cisse________________

subs:
    Dudek
    Riise
    Henchoz
    Murphy
    Baros

Others:
    Cheyrou
    Pongolle
    Le Tallec
    Welsh

That starting 11 is perfect IMO. The backup is OK but OK is good enough, Arsenal don't have the biggest sqaud in the world but they still "won" the premiership.

Ya thats a fairly good team .

U might want to send G.H. an E-mail of it ( but he would reply saying where can i put Heskey , Biscan )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Arsenal don't have the biggest sqaud in the world but they still "won" the premiership.

Arsenal don't have a big squad but their replacement players are far better quality than Liverpools.

Obviously goes without saying at Chelsea and its easily arguable about Utd.

That looks a decent squad but needs a good covering central midfielder (I don't think murphy is as good) and another player to cover the fullbacks and perhaps another left midfielder.

Originally posted by syke
    Arsenal don't have a big squad but their replacement players are far better quality than Liverpools.

Obviously goes without saying at Chelsea and its easily arguable about Utd.

That looks a decent squad but needs a good covering central midfielder (I don't think murphy is as good) and another player to cover the fullbacks and perhaps another left midfielder.
    The thing is, Arsenal can attract good players that would be willing to play the odd game, Liverpool can't. If Liverpool buy a high profile central midfielder, left midfielder or fullback they will either have to play him all the time and leave one of the current players out or keep rotating the team (which Ranieri proved doesn't work). If he doesn't buy a high profile figure he will most likely fail. I think The likes of Cheyrou, le Tallec and Murphy would fill in for Hamann or Gerrard for a couple of matches if they had an injury or whatever. Actually, just thinking, most people would find it hard to name 7 players to put on Madrids bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

Syke got it spot on.

While some of the players are quite obviously not up to scratch, there are still enough good players to make the gap between ourselves and United (1 place but 21 points) seem appallingly inadequate.

Houllier has bought poorly, sold his better players, consistently used players out of position, dumped players who don't share his 'footballing vision', and blamed everyone and everything under the sun for his failings but himself.

How he even got the job in the first place baffles me. After his tenure as France manager, the national team was a joke (failed to qualify for USA 94 thanks to two losses to Bulgaria and Israel in their final two games when all they needed was 1 point). It's worth noting that he blamed Ginola for his failure to lead them to the World Cup.

His only discernable talent (apart from ruining palyers' careers) is his ability to talk his way out of trouble. He seems to be able to worm his way around any criticism levelled at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Houllier is dire and has no appreciation for creativity and skill, hence his criticism of ginola etc. People like Kewell will never perform under him because of his style of management.

PS Liverpool have not yet bought Cisse and will not do until Houllier is confirmed as manafer for next season, which personally I think will never happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement