Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh dear god no!!!

Options
  • 21-04-2004 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

What spitefull god would let THIS happen!!??

Yes, that's right, the same person who was responsible for the film version of House Of The Dead, which is ranked as one of the worst movies ever made on imdb.com, is going to butcher Far Cry!

I'd say this'll piss off quite a few gamers here, myself included.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

:eek:urggh, i cant think of one game that was ever made into a good movie, tomb raider was the only one that came close and that was only passable, i heard something a while back about half-life being made into a movie, shot in first person just like the game, now THAT would be blasphemous

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

FarCrys plot wasnt exactly its selling point anyhow, so how close this could be to the game is debatable.

From IMDB:
    "An adaptation of the first-person-shooter video game where Jack Carver, a retired ocean patrol cop who"

1) In the game you were ex-marine/special forces afaik (think he said something to that effect in a cut scene)
    2) Ocean Patrol Cop..? I believe they are usually called the Coast Guard.

Matt

Uwe Ball should be tried for crimes against humanity. I tried to watch House of the Dead , I really did but the sight of a rusted razor blade and my wrist was more inviting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Originally posted by angelofdeath
    :eek:urggh, i cant think of one game that was ever made into a good movie,

Resident Evil was good.. Mortal Kombat was watchable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by DRakE
    Mortal Kombat was watchable

...if you're up to your eyeballs in acid maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I liked it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

Originally posted by DRakE
    Resident Evil was good.. Mortal Kombat was watchable

i must say that both were bad but i still liked them :) but i would watch anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Final Fantasy wasn't bad.

Wing Commander?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Res was decent imo and Mortal Kombat wasnt that bad i liked it bought it on DVD :)
    Wing Commander was crap (oh i waited and waited for that to come originally the game)
    Final Fantasy i thought was good but i dont play the games much so not a fanboy who crucified it :)

kdjac

Originally posted by Captain Trips
    Final Fantasy wasn't bad.

It wasn't bad, but it was by no means as great as the games were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

Originally posted by Karl Hungus
    It wasn't bad, but it was by no means as great as the games were.

it was good for the tech behind it's making but the typical story line in a FF game could easly make a 3 hour film :) if you add all the sub-missions that is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Aye doesn't look too promising.

Joh Woo is directing a Metroid movie. Story will probably be crap and the universe will be butchered, but the action should be entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Originally posted by Kevok
    Aye doesn't look too promising.

Joh Woo is directing a Metroid movie. Story will probably be crap and the universe will be butchered, but the action should be entertaining.

Maybe he will bring in a bit of scrap metal and tell the CGI guys it contains the Essence he wants for Metroid. Like he did with the Hulk. :rolleyes:

Honestly i think woo is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I think you'll find that was Ang Lee, not John Woo. Big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Mortal Kombat was watchable ... Mortal Kombat ][ now, is a different story. At least there was Christopher Lambert in the first one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

shot in first person just like the game, now THAT would be blasphemous

Would make it more interesting than imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

mortal kombat was good if u didnt take it seriously.

do u remember the bit at the very end, where the emperor appears and says something along the lines of 'i've come to eat your souls?'

and then that music kicks in. and they all leap to their ready-to-fight poses.

How cool was that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I hear theyre making a doom movie too. It COULD be good, if its done a la event horizon, seeing as how it pretty muched ripped off the doom storyline.

Originally posted by casper-
    Mortal Kombat was watchable ... Mortal Kombat ][ now, is a different story. At least there was Christopher Lambert in the first one :)

Having Christopher Lambert in a film is nothing to be proud of what so ever.
    Originally posted by Deadwing
    I hear theyre making a doom movie too. It COULD be good, if its done a la event horizon, seeing as how it pretty muched ripped off the doom storyline.

There's been rumours and proposals for a Doom movie going around for years at this stage. I remember getting Final Doom (Not very final was it?) on the playstation, and reading some reviews in magaines, and there was a big article about the supposed Doom movie and that it was to star "Ah-nuld" Schwarzenegger.

I agree that a film version of Doom could be very good indeed, provided they keep Uwe Boll away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Would make it more interesting than imo.
    No it would make it total crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Remember the Doom books? Man I gotta get a lend of them of my cousin... Supposedly they started great and became utter rubbish.

But yeah... There's been rumours of that film since mid 90's... And rumours of a Duke Nukem film and a Quake film and a Half Life film (though they were vague "people are writing a script" rumours). Hell I could show you the PC Gamer with those very rumours if you gave me enough time to root it out. Even mentioned the Arnie rumour.

But yeah... Metroid could be brilliant... so long as they try to avoid using too much CGI and make the ball sequences DAMNED frantic! And don't have Angelina Jolie play Samus.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Looks like I managed to get some news up on time. :)

Not that it's based on the game or any thing, but look who's, making the AVP film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Resident Evil wasn't an awful movie, was probably the most watchable, but if they'd called it "Got Milla?" it would have made more sense and more money... WTF? It had nothing in common with the games at all!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

I thought mortal kombat was quite a good film since it was aimed at the kiddie market. It was fun!

The street fighter manga film was brilliant in my opinion (Chun Li in the shower was also a cool bonus!!).

Resident evil was watchable. I liked the end with that big monster thing, and that scene where the laser cuts the guy up (reminded me of cube). But yes, it could have been much better, but don't foget that it was aimed at the kiddie market, so it kind of limits the gore, thus limiting the traditional style of a zombie film.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

[Rant starts]

aiming films based on games like resident evil and mortal kmobat at the kiddies market is proving all those whining american parents right.

Parent: Game too violent for our kids!!

Media: Game is not for kids its for 15s (resident evil, mortal kombat) or 18s (GTA) So its your fault.

PArent: Still gonna sue!!!

*2 months later*

Media: Hey kids!!! Remember that resident evil game you all loved!!! Well its now a FILM!!! go watch make us money!!!!

Parent: HEY!!!! ITS NOT FOR KIDS..

Media: Ahhh...but the film is..see 12s...

Parent: But...

Media: Go back to worrying about posh and becks and buying lottery tickets..

Parent: But...

Media: Here have more soaps and news articles about how un trustworthy the people who do not look and act like you are....Remember if he aint from a suburb he's a crack head and little timmy should use a shotgun to blow his brains out or he could sell him a joint or something...

*rant over*

I dont know which one i hate more...money hungry media...or whining parents.

If films were aimed properly...George Romero would have done the resident evil film (script here:http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/resident_evil_romero.html) which would have been more like the game and enjoyable entertaining on many levels (violent gory and with interesting characters (WESKER!!) (despite the crappy chris is an indian tripe)

anyway nn goin to bed now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They cut most of the gore out of the resident evil film to make it 15's. Pity it would probably been more enjoyable with the CGI blood spraying out of the zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

If it even bore the faintest resemblane to the games at all I wouldn't mind...even a setting from the games...It just felt like somebody had the script lying around so they wedged in some zombies and called it macaronie....

Advertisement