Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've a *mad* idea, Ted.

Options
  • 21-04-2004 9:35pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here's a fairly crazy alteration on Hyzephers BSOP idea I've just thought of. We have plenty of places that can host a 10 person game and lets face it, demand is there for it several times over.

What about next month instead of Mr Pudding hosting his usual end of month game for 10 lucky people who are online when he announces it, we run something a bit different... bear with me here, I'm coming down from weeks of painkiller abuse and boredom..

We run three similutaneous games in three locations. Chris's, My place and somewhere else, I'm sure we can find one.

All the same tourniement. Now, we keep in touch via text/sms and we play until one table has only 5/6. Hopefully by that stage we have lost a few from the other tables too and we break that game up, hop into cars or taxis (paid for from the kitty) and move to the other two locations... again we continue playing until we're ready to form a final table, probably in my place as its the biggest I think (maybe not we can see).

The final table plays off while the rest sips some beers, watch the action and bemoan bad beats! The pot would be serious so we could easily pay the last 7 or so to make it nice and friendly...

If the tables became seriously uneven (like 6 on one table and 10 on the other) we could always just stop one table for a while and give them a break while the others play on!

It might be a laugh playing in three different locations, keeping tabs by text or IRC and flying around dublin in cabs to a different poker table!

Thoughts?

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Sounds cool, I'd be game if invited.

Xboxes etc available for the losers? :p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We have three xboxen and three 25" tv's and a hub (we like our games :) )

It would certainly be a hellova a night for booze etc...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Sounds insane - if you can organise it I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'd definitely be up for that, presuming you guarantee that I make the final table of course!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Sounds like fun. Really, really really late fun. It would be an all nighter I reckon. Might it be an idea to have the final on a different night? Good enough for the Irish open etc.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Sounds fantastic but as Pudding says it could go on for ages having to rely on the ever faithful Taxi's to start with and then there is the natural length of time it tkes to play the game. To make this work it would need to be €50 a man I reckon. If we had sober people aswell, Ha no chance I hear you cry, that would add more money to the pot and less to the Taxi men.

Fantastic idea. Chalk me in

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

I could be interested - Depends when in May though, i've got exams coming up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

imo - its a great idea but not practical.

Moving tables in the fitz is bad enough - but to have to pack up and move location, chips and all is a bit OTT.

I like the idea of having a multi table tournie but I think the logistics would defeat us. I would envisage that on the night - when it came down to it - most people would prefer to stay were they were. Also the game would never end and I feel after a few hours some people would be alienated as they are out early etc.

Now if we could hire a large truck or van and all pile into it with a few tables and chair and cruise around the city - noe thats entertainment :);)

The most likely format will be 3 qualifying rounds held within the first 3 weeks of the month. From these qualifiers we will make up the final table to be held on the last week of the month. So 2 games a month if you make the final table. Prizes go the the first 5 + a cut to fund the BSOP final. All final table players will receive points that will accumulate to make you the BSOP final table at the end of the year.

I think this is more practical and more likely to get people interested to partake in the whole series.

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

I know there was a thread about this a while ago; but what with the huge amount of interest from boards people, would it not be practical now to try to rent a portion of the Fitzwilliam for our own tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Its very expensive IIRC. Several hundred for a table and use of a dealer i think.

• Advertisement

Surely with all the new business boards has brought into the Fitz they could cut us a deal .... :)

There could be up to 30 of us and frankly I would prefer to keep the money for ourselves. Is it not as if we dont have the space or the chips. We spend anough time in there anyway ;)

Hyzepher

Fair enough ... looks like there's some interesting ideas floating around anyway with the BSOP and changing the format for home games, etc.
    We spend anough time in there anyway

Speak for yourself ;) Hehehe...

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mickste

sounds like a great idea devore.

I'm game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Sounds like a good plan, count me in.

I live about 20 minutes walk (5 minutes in a taxi for lazy/drunk people) so possibly 2 table could be played very near each other.
    I don't have as sweet a set up as Chris, but a decent size table that could squeeze 10 around it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sorry, didnt mean to imply this as a replacement to the BSOP or as part of it... just one loony night of a *big* game for all of us. The BSOP is a lot bigger and more serious I think, this is just a bit of craic :)

Issues:

1. Moving table will only happen twice. Once when we break down the first table to reach 5/6 (and send them over to the other two to fill up available spaces) and again when the final table form (one table will pack up and move to where the other table is).

2. Duration... This wouldnt be an all nighter, in fact probably less time then we usually spend given that the rebuy period either wouldnt exist or would be short/controlled. In fact the idea of a 30/40 Euro freezeout sounds nice. Thats a pot of 900-1200 (less taxi fares). If we started at 7 we'd be over by midnight.

3. What to do if knocked out?
    a) Read a book on poker while you wait :p
    b) Drink with Henbane and listen to him criticise your taste in music while smoking like a chimney.
    c) Come to my flat and be beaten about the head by my flat mate in Halo multiplayer.
    d) Lets see... there will be people sitting around... money... cards... chips... gosh you know, I cant *imagine* what you could do to amuse yourselves :)

We could do it at the end of June so that exam-people have a chance too (I always hated all the interesting stuff happening in May when I couldnt go to it ... Mid Summers Madness anyone? :) )

I think it would just be a bit of craic and with a 30-40 entry fee its not going to tax anyones wallet (and 1/4 of the entrants would get paid too).

DeV.

Originally posted by lafortezza
    Sounds like a good plan, count me in.

I live about 20 minutes walk (5 minutes in a taxi for lazy/drunk people) so possibly 2 table could be played very near each other.
    I don't have as sweet a set up as Chris, but a decent size table that could squeeze 10 around it.

20 mins from me or Chris? Either way that sounds like a third location!

DeV.

I live about 20 minutes walk from Mr Pudding's house.
    Depending if anyone was driving, they could possibly give lifts to DeV's for the finale du monde last table game, taxis would be about €20-€25 between 4 people from my place to DeV's place.

I'd say start it at 2pm on a Saturday, the first tables finish that evening, there'd be some haute cuisine in Pudding's place and some greasy takeaway in mine, then off into Dev's for about 7pm for the final table.

The only problem I can see is people having to move from DeV's place to come to mine or Pudding's when balancing the tables.... They'd have to treck back to DeV's then for the final game... its a bit of an ask...

Does anyone else live in the Deansgrange/Cabinteely area that could offer a 10 man table?

Its not much from a prize pot of about 1200 (and should also cover costs of food etc).

Starting early in the afternoon to make a day of it and finish early too sounds like a plan to me.
    Perhaps a BBQ if Pudders missus wouldnt mind lol :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I'd be interested as well, if you do not mind players new to the group joining.

• Advertisement

More then welcome...Thats partly the idea! :)

DeV.

I think to add a little spice to this format we should ditch the taxi/car idea and have a sprint competition. First one over to the next venue gets and extra 1000 chips. Of course those with crutches can get an extra 5 metre head start. Oh and no monterised wheelchairs allowed.

:)

Hyzepher

Jeez.... anything for an advantage eh Hyz? :p

DeV.

Well you're the hot shot of the moment...

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Would a complete n00b to the game be welcome? I've never played hold'em (though I watched a lot of "Late Night Poker" on C4). I'd almost certainly be first out but I'd see the money as being spent on a good night and hopefully a bit of an education...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I've said it before. Complete n00bs are very welcome. I love n00bs I do!

MrP

3 months ago I was a n00b. So were most of these guys. None of us knew each other either. Dont worry about it mate, yer more then welcome.

DeV.

3 months ago I was a n00b ... DeVore's "3 months" has become 6 months by now I think :) But to answer your question, sleepy, everyone is welcome; I had practically the same idea in my mind before I met the other poker guys from boards and everyone's been quite friendly and non-judgemental [unless you're talking about Henbane ;) ]

Originally posted by DeVore
    3 months ago I was a n00b. DeV.
    Don't listen to him, he's still a n00b...

• Advertisement
Advertisement