Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic 77 run ends

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

As proud as I was of the unbeaten run I'm actually happy to see it go. Every team comes to Celtic playing twice as hard to end their home run. MON will also be more likely to give the younger lads a full 90mins without having to stick on Larsson to save the day. I'm really looking forward to seeing Aiden McGeady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

same here - going the season unbeaten would have been great - but winning the league is what counts, after that the big thing is bringing the young fellas through since we are not going to have millions to spend and therefore we have to get the youth players to develop and the only way to do that is to give them first team games. MoN did what I thought he would do, play the young lads on the edge of the team, like Ross Wallace, Jamie Smith and even young McManus (who I think is crap!)

Ironic the game changed when brian prunty came on for Abdereen - a player we pretty much let go a season or two ago. Good to see him getting on and doing things :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Good point, sad to see it go but it will give him a chance to blood for next season. Surely he has to buy in to replace larrson??

john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Something that just came to me, there will be a substantial reduction in the current wage bill with high earners like Lambert(£30k), Mjallby (£25k) and Hedman (£20k) as well as players such as Fernandez, Sylla, Petta, Smith, Laursen and Miller leaving and Henrik's £40k also disappearing from the costs..

Freeing up mucho cash for wages for random foreign players on cheap/bosmans maybe?

Oliver Neuville would be a decent short term replacement, he is on a free from leverkusen. He has been linked with move to rangers tho :( . Heard rumours of Forlan, Jeffers being linked with celtic too...I think these are just 2+2=5 storys, Player wants to move, Club needs player = celtic to buy forlan or something silly like that..

Could be right tho, defo need a centre half, centre mid, quality striker. maybe even 1/2 m ore squad players accross the back. Shame Kennedy is out for so long, next season coulda been great for him.

• Advertisement

Some players out of contract at end of season:

Emerson Thome - CB - Bolton
    Muzzy Izzet - CM - Leicester
    Jay Jay Okocha - AM - Bolton
    Sergio Conceicao - RW - FC Porto
    Vincenzo Montella - ST - Roma
    Sylvain Wiltord - ST - Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Muzzy Izzet would be a great catch, altough I couldn't see him leaving the PL though!

B.

Can't see any of them coming to Celtic tho...:(

Izzet would be great, rumoured to be going to villa this morning. Wouldnt suprised me as D'ol wil want to bring in new players and ellis will want to keep the cost minimal.

Wiltord, back to france i imagine.
    Jayjay will stay with bolton i think.

As for the others, dunno much about their situation, montella is/was a quality player, would he be attracted to celtic??

john

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

no

Apparantly, both Celtic and Rangers are interested in 20 year old Feyenoord winger, Robin van Persie. I've never heard of him but he is supposedly one of the best young players in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Arsenal are supposed to be very keen on him too, Id say he will probably end up at highbury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

The fact of the matter is that we WILL need to replace Larsson but the 2 questions that we need to ask ourselfs is

1.Who we going to get that good enough to replace him ?
    2. Where are we getting the money to do so ?

If the celtic board do not release money then they risk losing MON to a club that can fufill his ambition as a manager ... the fact is the money is not there at celticpark !

with the average premirship team grossing between 24 - 30 million a year in tv revenue and celtic with there 2 - 4 million . there is a massive difference to make up there and where do we start ?

this year is going to be so important for the next 10 years at parkhead we have a aging midfield that needs to be replaced.. i know a ,lot of people are going to jump down my neck and say we have stars comming thru that are good enuff , but at the end of the day there not good enough for champion league football.. scottish league footbal yes ..

we also have a problem with up front as well with larsson on his way out sutton hartson duet doesnt exactly appeal to me ... but at the end of the day what STAR striker wants to play in the scottish league ?

my big fear as a celtic supporter is when we lose are manager we lose a leader / team builder and a fan all rolled into one .. everyone is saying the board need to get there money out but where is it comming from ?

"WE ARE CELTiC SUPPORTERS FAITHFUL THRU AND THRU"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Novo , would be a good signing . He knows the scottish league , has scored a lot of goals there with a crap club ( and if Celtic dont sign him Rangers will )

I heard a few people linking Anelka to Celtic for £8mil. I certainly hope not.

Advertisement