Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being frisked by gardai

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by pork99
    Well that involves having to deal with some very nasty people a lot of the time.
    Hey, we all deal with "some very nasty people" from time to time, but we don't need to resort to violence do we?

While their frustrations might be understandable, their violence is not excusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by Victor
    Hey, we all deal with "some very nasty people" from time to time, but we don't need to resort to violence do we?

We do not have responsibilty for maintaining public order so it's not an issue for us.

While their frustrations might be understandable, their violence is not excusable.

I'm not talking about allowing the cops to go out and batter anyone who "looks a bit funny". Sometimes reactive and defensive violence is required by the authorities to maintain law and order. ("There can be no liberty without the law")

For example in the coming May Day protests; thank feck we live in a country where public assembly for political protest and freedom of expression is central to our political system. It's a part of the foundations of democracy. However you do not have the right to turn that into an assault on lives, property and public order. Under those circumstances I hope the Gardai have the capacity to respond robustly and public support for doing so.

And I would not want to see a rerun of May Day 2 years ago where the cops lost control and lashed out. That was unprofessional. They were obviously caught on the hop, untrained and unprepared. I hope lessons have been learned and any response to any attempts at rioting will be measured and decisive. For example the way the Metropolitan police in London handled the May Day protests a couple of years ago. The protestors were simply coralled in Oxford Circus and dispersed in small groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Sorry, are we talking about the reclaim the streets two years ago?
    I was passing through the crowd by the white horse with a friend (thankfully we were both well dressed) when the police ran into the crowd. As we walked up to Tara St. we saw a Sgt (or inspector) instruct the van load of guards to remove their numbers before going in. The corruption is within the organisation at the level where it exerts force irreguardless of the posistive law abiding attitudes of the majority of its members. If the guy who's teaching you the ropes is corrupt you to will be corrupt, you may not even know it.
    In the army your superior gives you an order you follow it. That Sgt gave an order, the men under his command obeyed (not saying that cleanses them of guilt, they knew it was wrong and some of them enjoyed it way too much).

This year I am bring two cameras, and making a visable presence of my self. Nothing enforces police sensiblity like a multitude of cameras and camcorders.

BTW, there are some lovely helpful and honest gardai out there. I meet them everyday. It is a minorty that is corrupting the organisation in my opinion . Its name is tranised terribly now. It needs some kind of clean up or re-organising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by Havelock
    This year I am bring two cameras, and making a visable presence of my self. Nothing enforces police sensiblity like a multitude of cameras and camcorders.

Be very stern with any Gardai who attempt to take your camera or your film. It is your right to film any Garda who is on duty, it is in law that it is permissable. We're bringing two camera crews in for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Its not the cops that will be doing it, its the protesters that WILL start off first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by seanybiker
    Its not the cops that will be doing it, its the protesters that WILL start off first.

You're probably right unfortunately. This event is going to attract the worst of the world's protestors... People who want trouble with the police because it helps prove their points. Which really puts a downer on legitimate protesting, which the majority of people will be partaking in. Hopefully the Gardai will be able to handle it without resorting to behaviour like we saw two years ago. They have the law on their side, let's make sure they stick to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Best I ever saw,mate of mine topped off his head on Acid!
    Garda "why are u in that field?"
    Micka " What about it?"
    Garda " Do you have a horse in there?"
    Micka " In me pocket?"

At this Stage Micka was frantically examining his gear for tiny horses!

Funny as **** to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Lodgepeople I agree hopefully there wont be a repeat. there is meant to be some nutters at this thing ruining it for the genuine protesters. Anyway we'll find out soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Originally posted by IrishMike
    Power to Search

The gardai* have the power to search a person, vehicle, vessel or aircraft without a warrant provided they have reasonable ground for suspicion that a crime is being committed under the Misuse of Drugs Act.

Reasonable Grounds

* "The demeanour of the suspect
    * The gait and manner of the suspect
    * Any knowledge the officer may have of the suspect's character or background
    * Whether the suspect is carrying anything and the nature of what he is carrying
    * The mode of his dress, bulges in his clothing and particularly when these factors are considered in the light of all the surrounding circumstances
    * The time of the observation
    * Any remarks or conversation which he makes to any other person which may be over-heard by an officer
    * The street or the area involved
    * Information from a third party, who may in given circumstances be known or unknown
    * Any connection between that person and any other person whose conduct is reasonably suspect
    * The suspect's apparent connection to any overt criminal activity".

Bastards
    That is utterly ****ing scandalous. Especially as a quart of hash is hardly a ****ing firearm

Advertisement