Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom 1 meg

• 22-04-2004 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭

just upgraded to the 1meg package, 12gig cap, my dowload speed never seems to go above 100kb/s though and my ping to english cs severs has shot up to 90 because interleaving is high, im assuming i should be getting better speed than this, any ideas? i asked if they'd turn off interleaving but they said no

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭^pt^

What's wrong with 100k/s for a 1 meg line? What did you have before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

512 before, maybe im just used to the college connection, but i was expecting more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

dont expect much more. the most you could possibly get is just over 120kb/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

INFO; There are two type's of line. One is great for downloads, the other is great for gaming.
    I have the one good for downloads, but I only get a ping of 9 when playing on an Irish Battlefield server, and sometimes about 50ish for an english server, but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I have NTL 1meg, I get a throughput of about 125kb/s, which works out as 980k/bits. And I ping about 15 to UK and about 40 to Ireland.

So, the conclusion is something we already knew. Eircom suck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

just upgraded to the 1meg package, 12gig cap, my dowload speed never seems to go above 100kb/s
    Where's the problem?

1024kbit / 8 = 128kbyte maximum theoretical

100kbyte is most acceptable, try ftp some iso's from heanet to see what you get.

tribble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Thats about right for the 1 meg line. As they have interleaving set to high, it uses some of your bandwith for error correction, thus you will never get the theoretical max of 128KB/s. I have the 2 meg line and the max i can push it from heanet or esat's ftp server is 208KB/s. I believe the esat services, with no interleaving can get roughly 125KB/s on their 1 meg package

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by angelofdeath
    just upgraded to the 1meg package, 12gig cap, my dowload speed never seems to go above 100kb/s though and my ping to english cs severs has shot up to 90 because interleaving is high, im assuming i should be getting better speed than this, any ideas? i asked if they'd turn off interleaving but they said no

100K down is about right, though personally i also thought you should see around 105K down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

its a shame that if you want to upgrade to a 1meg line, your ping doubles. I would of liked to have gone to a 1meg line but no way am I giving up the ping i have currently as I'm a gamer more than a downloader

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the 1mb lines have huge pings because its adsl which eircom have put the high interleving on but im wondering surely in the future eircom will raise perhaps the homeplus/business starter accounts to 1mb and still be radsl with low interleving? radsl can go much higher than 512k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Yes RADSL can go higher than 512k but eircom would loose out on the money they make on the "business" packages.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by talla
    Yes RADSL can go higher than 512k but eircom would loose out on the money they make on the "business" packages.

Whats the highest it can go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Check out the speed test at:

www.adslguide.org.uk

Used it before and is pretty good and consistant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

The reason Eircom use RADSL is that it can reach a further distance (at the expense of bandwidth) so while it can probably go to any speed ADSL can it would make the test much more sensitive to distance (unless they run multiple tests which would be too smart an idea for eircom).

EDIT: i was under the assumption that they would have to retest at the higher speed but im wondering now if they could extrapolate the required info from the one test. WOuld make it more complicated for them either way. Guess in the future we may see it but dont hold ur breath :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Where exactly is interleaving controlled from ?.Is it in your local exchange or somewhere else ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 goateds

So if i was to have 3 people on a network playing cs, are you guys saying that we would ping better on eircom 512 broadband as apposed to 1meg broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by goateds
    So if i was to have 3 people on a network playing cs, are you guys saying that we would ping better on eircom 512 broadband as apposed to 1meg broadband?

Yes it would be about 40-60 on the 512 and 90 on the 1meg but both are playable

I'm on netsource 1meg at the moment @ 85 a month (slightly lower than 89 a month for eircom) and get 104Kb downloads sometimes 110Kb/sec. I'm happy though, I download 3.6GBytes in a few hours :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Originally posted by Stonemason
    Where exactly is interleaving controlled from ?.Is it in your local exchange or somewhere else ?.

It's at the local exchange. And, because of it, Eircom can get subscribers a greater distance than otherwise possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Eircom can reduce interleaving, but they just don't want to. Perhaps if enough people made a song and dance about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Not sure about some of these numbers, but here goes...

The 1Mbit product gives you a wire speed of 1024kBits/sec. Between you and where you want to go there are a bunch of network layers - TCP, IP, ethernet, PPPoE, ethernet again, AAL5, ATM, and all the same again back out the other side. Each ATM packet is 53 bytes, 48 bytes of which is payload. AAL5 (RFC 1483/2684) stuffs each 1500 byte ethernet packet into 32 whole ATM packets. PPPoE thieves 8 bytes per 1500 byte ethernet packet, IP headers account for 20 bytes, and TCP steals about another 20 bytes per packet.

So to receive 1452 useful data bytes, there will be 53 * 32 = 1696 bytes on the wire. That puts your efficiency around the 85% mark. (1024 * .85) / 8 = 108.8kBytes/sec as an absolute theoretical maximum. On a good day. With the wind behind your back. Totally ignoring the possiblity of contention, locally or remotely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement