Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitz - 21/04 (Wed)

Options
  • 22-04-2004 9:33am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well I managed to sneak along to the €20 rebuy tournie last night (21/04) - haven't been there in a while. I was a little disappointed not to see any other boards.ie people there - well none that I knew.

Anyway sat down and for about 90 mins didn't get a decent set of cards - what made it tougher was I had a few of the mad players at my table - Norman, Vivian etc. I had intended to start off playing the way I do online - as I am now aware that I tend to play differently. However, after level 3 i suddenly realised that I was back in 'Fitz' mode again - funny how I just seemed to drift back into playing that way - far too tight. So I made a major decision to actively think about every hand and try and use my now rock table image.

My first hand was QKos - I raised and got some callers. I had decised that if an Ace didn't flop I was going all-in. Flop comes QcJhTc - I go all-in - about 2k. First guy calls but he has only 600/700 - next guy thinks a while and goes all-in. Fist guy has AK (straight), other guy has Ac3c. I ignore the guy with the straight as the real pot is between be and the other guy. No Ace or club comes and I am starting to get going.

Next hand I raise preflop with nothing - steal blinds. I now start to get more agressive and slowly build chips. Freeze-out comes. I have about 6k at this stage. Then I get As6s - raise. One caller. Flop KsQs3c - he bets 1.5k - I call. Turn 8h - he bets 2k - I call. River 2s - he goes al-in, I call. Happy days - he has me covered but is left with about 4k. I am now a force to be scared of.

MOved to another table - I now have Joe, and a few other sharks looking for my chips. I decide to go a little tight as I hate moving and I'm not sure of the table. Everyone has about the same amount of chips. After 30mins I get moved again.

Now there is only about 12 left and the blinds are coming arounf like no tomorrow. I steal a few just to keep my stack level. Then I get AA on the BB - great position to steal a few limpers - no one calls and SB folds - I curse my luck. Then it happens - implosion - I get AhKh - raise it to steal blinds. Get 1 caller - same guy who I beat earlier with the flush. I have him well covered. Flop is 578 rag - he checks, I bet him all-in. He turns over 46! What! I get a K on th eturn but nothing. I am starting to believe that my normal 10/9 position is going to happen again. I am short stacked now - Vivian is way in the lead and the blinds will hurt me now.

My goal is now to survive until the final table and at least the blinds are not as frequent. Then I get AsQs on the button - 4 limpers and then I go all-in - all fold. Couldn't believe my luck - I thought at least one would call. Bluffers the lot of them - well if thats what they are up too I'm coming to the party.

Then 2 people - one from each table - get knocked out - we are down to the final table with 8. I survey the table and see I am roughly in 7th. Blinds 1500/3k. I decide to try and steal the blinds first and then hold out for a round until I get my bearings again. Steal I did and then 3 guys get it on next hand. Bobs your uncle we're down to 6. I get hyper-agressive and steal a few blinds. Table seems to be a bit cautious. My plan is now survival - no risky moves.

Down to 4 and myself and Vivian are short stacks. It starts to turn into a war between us. Then I get As6s - again - go all-in. He calls with 33. I get a 6 and happy days. He's out.

I get 86os in BB (3k/6k). SB calls, I check. Flop is 982. He checks, I bet, he calls. Turn is 5s - he checks, I go 8k - he goes all-in, I call. He turns over K3os - I have pair 8's. He gets K on river! He was off his seat and practically going home until the K hit - I was sick. Turns out I had him just covered. Couple of hands later i have QJ - all-in. He calls with K4 - no help - I'm off home in 3rd.

Very happy considering my recent form. Major turning point was my realisation that I had become ultra tight and was giving far too much respect to the other players. A bit disappointed that the guy got the K on the river - I would have about 50% of the chips and a good shot at the €1k first prize - maybe next time.

Hyzepher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

wow... good going. well done.
    did 3rd place pay out.. if so how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Nice work Chris.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aye, thats pretty much how you have to play that game (though I wouldnt give you much for A6!!)

Congrats on third... did noone offer to do a deal? If the stacks arent level they might not want to but its a good idea to deal as 4th onwards can be a bit of a lottery and the total divided can often come above the 2nd place amount or near enough to it.

I couldnt get in last night as I had a very early hospital appointment this morning... it sounds like there was a full house of jokers alright! Vivian is a good player and Joe is no slouch either. Not to mention our good friend Stormin' !

Well done anyway, I knew my belief in your play wasnt misguided... Theres no reason you cant be at that final table every week if you play like that!

I'll be in on Sunday (and playing on Saturday in Puddings!) so I'll catch you there. btw, read your PM's Hyzepher!

DeV.

Advertisement