Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN based "always on Internet"

Options
2»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Bond-007
    What sort of a set up have you? Is there a large attenna on your house? Do you still have the original line?
    The antenna is quite small, only about 25x25cm. The original line is still installed, but not connected to anything.

I originally had a wired line, which was crap. I needed a second line for business, but there was no copper available - not even a spare pairgain - so I got a wireless PSTN line. After months of lobbying I finally got the wireless line upgraded to ISDN, and got the old wired line disconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Presumably similar to the squarial and box I had for wireless phone line for two years with Chorus.

The circuit board inside the aerial box does seem to be a complete digital link receiver / transmitter and the box in house connected to it with RJ45 and a backup battery has two POTS sockets and empty PCB space for what looks like S-BUS. I only had one "line" but a second was availabel simply by asking, they could turn it on while you waited.

So it seemed very like some kind of ISDN wireless replacement. Normally 32K voice though (probabily) , which gives 19.2K modem. On switching it to 64K next day, the analog modem was always exactly 49K and totally error free. Very like analog modem over ISDN in fact. No extra charge for the higher data rate.

Inevitiable I suppose that they lost the licence. They said I could keep all the gear, so it is completely dissassembled now.

Advertisement