Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho to Chelsea?

• 22-04-2004 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Porto complain to Fifa

McCarthy tips Mourinho exit
    Porto have made an official complaint to Fifa over Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich's approach to Jose Mourinho.
    Porto have accused Abramovich of trying to persuade their manager Mourinho to walk out on his contract with the club.

And they are furious following Mourinho's claims he "will be moving to London in the summer" to replace Blues boss Claudio Ranieri.

Abramovich plans to hold talks with Mourinho next week after meeting his advisors in Spain in Monday.

Mourinho backed out of Monday's meeting, preferring to postpone until after the Champions League semi-finals have been concluded.

But he has made his intentions clear, saying: "The Premiership is the biggest league in the world.

"Anyone would aspire to work there and when the chance comes I'm going to take it."

Report: Monaco 3-1 Chelsea

Following the 3-1 defeat by Monaco on Tuesday, it seems Chelsea's players would be just as enthusiastic as Mourinho about his arrival.

Ranieri appears to have lost his players' backing after his ill-fated substitutions left their Champions League future in the balance.

One player is reported to have labelled Ranieri's tactical changes as "a complete mess".

And a furious bust-up has reportedly developed between Ranieri and Juan Sebastian Veron, after the Argentine claimed he was forced to play against his wishes on Tuesday.

Veron insisted he was not fit after five months out injured, but says Ranieri ignored his pleas.

The midfielder came on as a second-half substitute but was clearly unhappy and well off the pace.
    The way Ranieri is carrying on it will be hard for him to get a new job. He has lost the respect of a lot of the fans.

It would be good to see Fergie -v- Mourinho + Wenger. :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

good choice, I think he could really do good things there if he has money to spend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    The way Ranieri is carrying on it will be hard for him to get a new job. He has lost the respect of a lot of the fans.
    Was he not flavour of the month after beating Arsenal?
    Football fans are a little fickle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I think everyone felt for ranieri, including hid players. They really played for him, they were feeling sorry for him in a way. Dont think he deserves the kind of speculation around his job he has gotten but when he makes silly decisions like the ones he made on tuesday, he is giving kenyon and roman the fuel to send him packing. The likes of Ferguson, Wenger, Capello, Lippi; great managers; would never have made the changes he made. Veron apparently saying he wasnt fit to play, a player doesnt believe he is fit how can he play confidently, giving 100% in challenges etc. I think he may have lost a bit of respect due to some poor decisions he made, however the tie isnt over and he could be a hero all over again should chelski progress. He's doing himself no favours by coming out and saying what he said, on the other hand maybe he thought that it wouldnt make a difference what he said, he was going either way. No smoke without fire, between now and the end of the season role on the next manager for speculation about the chelski job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Imposter
    Was he not flavour of the month after beating Arsenal?
    Football fans are a little fickle!
    Slagging of the chairman, playing players who don't want to play, didn't seem to care when Chelsea scored against Monaco (a lot different to how he celebrated after the goals against Arsenal), making weird substitutions when the team was playing fine. I said it a few times and I'll say it again, I believe Ranieri wants out of Chelsea, if he resigns he doesn't get a penny, if he is sacked he gets around 4-6mil. I wouldn't want a manager at a club like that. That is just my opinion anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, it really seems he is trying to do one over on the club that has been doing him over for the whole season. It may be out of order, but come on, what would you do if you knew your current employers were going to get rid of you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Of course slagging off the owner wasn't the smartest move but the fans generally don't base their decisions on what the chairman thinks. They usually base them on what's happening on the field. Yes those changes were puzzleing but it was just a few games ago that he could do no wrong. How many times has he made changes that seemed puzzling at the time but they worked this season?

I also think Veron was wrong to come out and say that too but that's just my opinion. He should respect the manager, just like the manager should respect the chairman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Imposter
    They usually base them on what's happening on the field. Yes those changes were puzzleing but it was just a few games ago that he could do no wrong. How many times has he made changes that seemed puzzling at the time but they worked this season?
    I've never been a fan of Ranieri TBH (not as a person, as a manager). Even midway through the season I was critisising his buys and changes on a few threads. I will probably get slated for this but I also don't think he's the full shilling although I would probably say the same about O'Leary and Keegan so its not necessarily a bad thing.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I also don't think he's the full shilling although I would probably say the same about O'Leary and Keegan so its not necessarily a bad thing.:)

I think you could say the same for many more managers ( Ferguson, Redknapp, Houllier, O'Neill...even Pat Dolan off Cork City...the list goes on! ), I think it takes a certain breed to be a manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

its actually pretty hilarious how quickly the media and people have gone off Ranieri. As an Arsenal fan I was gutted when they beat us. However I think Ranieri was expecting to get a contract after that result. I mean its the first time ever they've been in the CL semis. Instead theres more stalling by Abhramovich. I thnk thats kind of killed Ranieri's enthuasism. I don't normally beleive in conspiracy theories but maybe he was indeed tring to sabotage the match. Hasslebaink for Melchiot !!!!!
    Unbelievable that one.

As for the topic, I guess Mourinho would be a handy enough coach. However there wasn't all that much known or said about him before he beat Man U.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Originally posted by vorbis
    its actually pretty hilarious how quickly the media and people have gone off Ranieri. As an Arsenal fan I was gutted when they beat us. However I think Ranieri was expecting to get a contract after that result. I mean its the first time ever they've been in the CL semis. Instead theres more stalling by Abhramovich. I thnk thats kind of killed Ranieri's enthuasism. I don't normally beleive in conspiracy theories but maybe he was indeed tring to sabotage the match. Hasslebaink for Melchiot !!!!!
    Unbelievable that one.

As for the topic, I guess Mourinho would be a handy enough coach. However there wasn't all that much known or said about him before he beat Man U.

I donn't believe claudio was trying to sabotage the match - he must know that he is gone in the summer , so why not go out as the manager of the champions league winning team rather than as someone whose tatics are questionable - he'll still get his contract paid in full. I had no problems with him putting on a striker for a defender, especially as Melhhiot seemed the most likely cfc player to be carded again. Bringing Huth on then, however, made no sense. And don't even get me started on Veron being brought on at half-time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Was Ranieri's job in question the season before Abramovich came? I think it might have been had he not got them CL, ie winning the liverpool game on the last day.... maybe someone else will know if it was or not....think it might have been

what i am saying is, there was always speculation about Ranieri's job even before RA came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Yes if Chelsea hadn't got into the CL that season his job would have been under threat. It was said that He would have gone in the summer but RA couldn't find a suitable replacement.

Advertisement