Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 S-ATA on Mobo?

Options
  • 22-04-2004 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hey.

I have a mobo with 2 s ata connectors on it. Can I simply connect another S ATA hard drive, thus giving more space? I have a feeling this is a silly question but I want to make sure.

If this is the case, what will i need to do so my mobo detects the new drive?

thanks peoples.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Yes you can.

Also if you get two identical SATA drives you can run raid 0 or 1.

You should of gotten a drive disk with your mobo that will allow windows to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Thanks for reply. I am unfamiliar with Raid setups. I currently have on 120gig s ata drive. Will i have to get the same one in order for it to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Loobz if you are refering to same size then no, but having the same saze is a benifit.

I have two 160 s-ata drives mounted in a 0 Raid configuration, this runs as 1 x 360 HD with twice the cache speed.

It takes a bit of messing around with, but once its up and running you'll notice a considerable difference.

I'd suggest you get an identical drive, same make, same model, same size, then you're far less likely to have problems.

Changing to raid means you'll have to start from scratch, fresh install of everything but it does increase the speed of your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Jebus..... man, i just soiled myself! I have a months worth of backing up to do. Must have 4 - 5 hundred hours worth of mp3s etc etc etc etc etc etc

• Advertisement

Its only a suggestion and you dont have to raid it, I got my second hard drive a few months after my first, I got it in january and changed to Raid 0 on Sunday just gone.

I had a Second PC in the house and I transfered all the files I wanted to keep onto it over the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Aye was considering getting another Seagate 160 SATA and then 0 raiding them. But this claim that this is one of the quietest HDs out there must be joking. OK so when not called upon it's pretty much silent, but call it into action and it whirrs n clicks like a mofo (well mine does :( ). Then i'll have two of em at it. All my other HDs are PATA and there's SATA raid on the motherboard so i don't suppose i have an option.

Advertisement